| FTBL The Good, The Bad and The Ugly vs. ut

FWIW, the numbers from today...

Iamaleava Under Pressure: 2 of 6 for 34 yards, 1 INT
Infuriating. We knew going in that he was bad when pressured and he proved it the few times we actually brought the heat. Georgia dialed it up against Ewers and Manning all night, seldom stopped. And Ewers is a ton better than Nico.

Scrape and Search, I’d be interested to see Nico’s results from the plays we blitzed (if we did blitz any yesterday).

More Ugly data from our offense.

Started the game Punt, Punt, INT (incredible prep for that start).

After our TD, we went Punt, Punt, Missed FG, Punt. So the first 8 possessions: 5 Punts, INT, Missed FG, and TD.

Then we had the FG, and the TD.

Then the kicker… The last 4 possessions: 11 plays, 3 yards! 3 yards in 4 possessions! I could have gained 3 yards. That hurts to look at.

Good - It's not up yet, but I believe the sun will rise. Glimpses of Miller's running ability.

Bad - starting with a strategy of taking the ball in a hyped-up stadium is straight-up crazy, worse without having the team utilize a silent count. It's as if the coach had never coached in Neyland...wait, he hadn't. I'm not sure when we moved to a silent count, I didn't notice it until the start of the second half, but it cost us early.

Ugly - losing a game that shouldn't have been close. We play better and execute, and we are up a minimum of 17 at the half, and we win by three touchdowns. These are the ones that sting. Penalties were horrendous. Missed opportunities. The non-call on offsides was a killer - McElroy went back to it and brought in the official, but he does try hard to not be a homer.

It's apparent to me that Milroe is not 100%, hasn't been for a few games. That is affecting his willingness and ability to run, getting extra yards, and it is either affecting his actual passing accuracy or it's in his head that he knows he doesn't have the run to bail him out when he's passing. Either way, missing open receiver after open receiver - consistently high - was a huge problem. It's on the coaches to decide if he needs some rest or not. Despite the NIL money, it's always on the coaches.

RTR,

Tim

One thing that I have to say: if you are comparing Kalen Deboar to Dennis Franchione or Mike Dubose, may I suggest you take some deep breaths and chill the fuck out?

We have an excellent coach who has been caught up in a transition year with a very hard schedule. Now, I do think it is reasonable to have certain discussions such as benching Jalen Milroe. In my opinion, Milroe has been snuffed out. I would not be surprised if Ty Simpson has the capability to better execute Sheridan's offense, and if that is the case, that discussion needs to happen during the Mizzou game.

In the coming weeks, DeBoer, his staff and the players will show whether they have the humility necessary to right this listing ship. You can’t have pride in what you do going forward until you’re humble enough to admit your part in the debacle that’s been this season thus far. I’m so tired of the silly ass celebrating of a one off good play when the bad plays far outweigh those few good ones. Saban muzzled the players to the press and we’re seeing why he did that. Talk is cheap … show people what you can do.

One thing that I have to say: if you are comparing Kalen Deboar to Dennis Franchione or Mike Dubose, may I suggest you take some deep breaths and chill the fuck out?

We have an excellent coach who has been caught up in a transition year with a very hard schedule. Now, I do think it is reasonable to have certain discussions such as benching Jalen Milroe. In my opinion, Milroe has been snuffed out. I would not be surprised if Ty Simpson has the capability to better execute Sheridan's offense, and if that is the case, that discussion needs to happen during the Mizzou game.
I think some serious conversations are gonna have to happen with Milroe. It's almost like he thinks he has to do everything for this team and that's not the case.

IMO, if the coaches stick with Milroe come hell or high water and this is what we get the rest of the season, I dont believe youll have to worry about Simpson next year.
Edit for clarity: sticking with Milroe and he continues to play like this game the rest of the year. Realty, this won't beat Missouri or LSU. It will even give OU and Auburn hope.

Last edited:
Infuriating. We knew going in that he was bad when pressured and he proved it the few times we actually brought the heat. Georgia dialed it up against Ewers and Manning all night, seldom stopped. And Ewers is a ton better than Nico.

Scrape and Search, I’d be interested to see Nico’s results from the plays we blitzed (if we did blitz any yesterday).

5 of 11 for 93 yards, 0 TDs & 0 INTs. A couple just never got home and got the "pressure".

5 of 11 for 93 yards, 0 TDs & 0 INTs. A couple just never got home and got the "pressure".

The beauty of that is we really didn't get torched. The one long pass was just a great play as we had coverage. What I'm saying is, I can live with that all day long as long as we're trying. Doing the same thing and not seeing results is where I get upset. I'd rather be able to say we sent pressure and they made a play over stating we dropped into coverage and allowed it for the 100th time and created windows for the quarterback to throw and the receivers to sit in.

Good: Tennessee’s incompletions and miscues that kept us in the game.

Bad: The refs. But to be fair, it’s like this in multiple games every week. I don’t recall a season having this many inconsistent rulings and bad [no]calls across the country.

Ugly: Bama. I expected a down year after the GOAT, but I never doubted playoff eligibility. I was even optimistic of having the type of season where we lose early but gradually improve as everyone settled in with the new regime. I definitely bought the sunshine pumped here by some about the new energy around the complex and Milroe’s Heisman-caliber season with the new offensive staff.

As unhappy as I am with the product on the field, some of which I definitely blame on the staff, there’s also much I can’t blame on the staff at all. And this is even more frustrating, in a sense. It’s relieving to think that the answer can be found in simply firing and rehiring. And I’m not implying that every coach should be given another season to prove themselves either. But there’s just so many variables in our program as well as in college football in general all coalescing simultaneously this season that are out of our control.

I think there are many good points made by many different posts in this thread. But let me add something not already mentioned: regional differences in culture and demographics matter. To try to be as succinct as I can, I don’t think Saban would have been as successful west of the SEC footprint. Same with Smart. Likewise, I don’t think Pete Carroll would have been as successful east of the Mississippi, except maybe at another urban center like Miami. I don’t think Harbough would have thrived anywhere except his alma mater or a place like Stanford that had low expectations. I see Urban Meyer also requiring a particular milieu to succeed found more commonly in the central and eastern time zones. His success at Utah I think was due to the conservative nature of that state which accommodates authoritative, even authoritarian, leadership. From the day of DeBoer’s hire, I swear every time I have listened to him speak and observed his dimeanor I see a fish out of water. I don’t see or hear confidence or self assurance. Now this doesn’t necessarily mean he wasn’t the best option available to replace Saban. And this also doesn’t mean he can’t grow into a coach worthy of Bama. But I’m just saying, there is nothing about his conduct or our team’s conduct that tells me he’s confident and in charge. It would be different if we were losing games without chronic penalties and unsportsmanlike behavior. I realize we are thin at several positions and can imagine how that’s affecting the outcomes. But leading a disciplined group of players, most of whom come from the rural South, will not be like leading a group of kids from the Midwest and the West Coast. And success at the NAIA level with the kind of kids choosing to play football with little recognition should never lead us to believe he will succeed in the SEC with Prima Donnas seeking glitter and fame after every tackle or completion. All the positive remarks made by current players since his hire should have been a red flag considering the torture that Saban imposed on the team during the first few 4th Quarter programs. Success should be less fun in the moment and more fun afterwards as you relish the accomplishment. All I hear now from players is the opposite, enjoying the moment and “celebrating every win like it’s the last.”

That’s here at RTB.

I didn’t expect a NC season. But I did expect close games and winning when favored.
Curious what you did expect in the wins/losses columns? I had 2-4 losses. Still in that window for me. Did not necessarily see the losses coming the way they have or against who they came against (Vandy really??).

That’s here at RTB.

I didn’t expect a NC season. But I did expect close games and winning when favored.

It ain't just here. The radio shows and such will be a clown show tomorrow if Twitter is any indication. I'd imagine some other Bama message boards are much worse off than RTB in terms of the tire fire too.

The meltdown by fans on Alabama football forums are quite embarrassing. I'm seeing range of people wanting Coaches fired, bench players, and all. Omg. This is quite crazy .
I think we've had a spoiled group of fans for a long time, all the good teams get those bandwagon fans or spoiled fans and that's just part of the noise you're going to have to deal with in a transition like this.

Curious what you did expect in the wins/losses columns? I had 2-4 losses. Still in that window for me. Did not necessarily see the losses coming the way they have or against who they came against (Vandy really??).
I thought two losses (Georgia and LSU). I thought both would be close. Never thought Vandy and knew that Tennessee would be close due to the rivalry.

Back
Top Bottom