| FTBL The Good, The Bad and The Ugly vs. ut

I’ve been a Milroe fan from the start. But I’m slowly getting away from it. Great athlete but not a good QB. If we’re gonna flop the rest of season let’s get the younger players ready for next year! And let Simpson play or he’ll be gone.

I’ve been a Milroe fan from the start. But I’m slowly getting away from it. Great athlete but not a good QB. If we’re gonna flop the rest of season let’s get the younger players ready for next year! And let Simpson play or he’ll be gone.

It's ok to still be a fan of him. He's played poorly recently, especially today, but I'd imagine he feels pretty shitty about it. It's not his call if he starts or not, or gets pulled, etc. If he's out there, and he will start next week vs. Mizzou (albeit maybe with a shorter leash?), then I hope folks are behind him. It hurts me to see our fans drag our guys and get personal about it (you didn't, just to be clear) when they represent UA on and off the field in a manner similar to Jalen. Wanting a change at QB is fine, but way too many folks take their comments too far where they become nothing more than insults and unnecessary jabs at players who don't deserve it IMO.

It's ok to still be a fan of him. He's played poorly recently, especially today, but I'd imagine he feels pretty shitty about it. It's not his call if he starts or not, or gets pulled, etc. If he's out there, and he will start next week vs. Mizzou (albeit maybe with a shorter leash?), then I hope folks are behind him. It hurts me to see our fans drag our guys and get personal about it (you didn't, just to be clear) when they represent UA on and off the field in a manner similar to Jalen. Wanting a change at QB is fine, but way too many folks take their comments too far where they become nothing more than insults and unnecessary jabs at players who don't deserve it IMO.
Milroe is a great guy and ambassador for Bama! But it’s obvious he’s not the same as he started. Maybe he’ll turn it around and I’m praying he does, but if he don’t.. let’s see what Simpson can do.

I hear you. I imagine with NIL, and fans/supporters with more direct skin in the game with these athletes, we’ll see the criticisms get more harsh and personal. More like the NFL, which it is very similar to now, but fans of the college game can have even more ties to players.

I think Saban is sitting back breathing a sigh of relief… He saw this very thing happening to him..I think he decided to get out on top…This year would’ve happened to him too.. if not this year, definitely the next year… Saban saw the handwriting on the wall..
Agreed. Saban was due for a year akin to 2007 and this year or next definitely would have been it. I wonder if he looks back thinking that perhaps 2020 would have been a better note to have gone out on. Ending with a 12-2 record, SEC championship, and semifinal appearance was the next best ending he could have had. Sadly, the streak of 16 consecutive seasons of double digit wins will end now

I hear you. I imagine with NIL, and fans/supporters with more direct skin in the game with these athletes, we’ll see the criticisms get more harsh and personal. More like the NFL, which it is very similar to now, but fans of the college game can have even more ties to players.

I think that's some of it, but just social media (and message boards like this) in general is a lot of it... people, for whatever reason, love to use that tool to go after players. But, there's also a segment of fans that just aren't very emotionally mature when their team plays poorly and they take their frustrations out on people, sometimes players. Always makes me think of some people I know, a couple of good friends actually and an extended family member... they hold everyone else around them (even strangers like a waitress in a restaurant) to these high standards that they don't dare hold themselves to. That's the mentality of some fans... calling Milroe trash and implying he's stupid, while sitting in their recliner covered in Oreo crumbs.

Sorry, but it comes with the territory when you're making millions off the backs of those same people. I'm never for personal insults of course, but his play is fair game as he is handsomely paid to wear that uniform. He keeps cashing those checks he will continue to get criticized just like DeBoer and alike if you get a subpar performance.

Sorry, but it comes with the territory when you're making millions off the backs of those same people. I'm never for personal insults of course, but his play is fair game as he is handsomely paid to wear that uniform. He keeps cashing those checks he will continue to get criticized just like DeBoer and alike if you get a subpar performance.

I think... we agree.

But he'd be getting criticized (on a personal level) by these same folks if he had NIL deals or not.

This was a winnable game.

But lost because of several reasons IMO. First reason is our offense seems to be very predictable, allowing opposing DC to make the optimal call many times, blitzing, applying pressure at just the right downs. It seems there is one or more breakdowns from the OL series after series. Whether it be run blocking, pass blocking or dare I say penalties. Someone has asked if JM may have thrown the game. I wont believe he would do that. If I learned 100% that he did, it would wreck my brain and I would lose all faith in Alabama Football and the game I have LOVED for around 63 years. But JM did look uncommonly BAD. Defensively, this game reminded me of the Ga game somewhat. That is, the first half, we played pretty well, controlling their run, putting pressure on their QB and taking the ball away. Second half? WTH happened? IMO, a combination of not making the right calls, that is, not dialing up pressure on enough of their passing downs and and players not in correct position to make the tackle on many of their running plays. An example, in the 2nd half, on their longest RB run around the right side, our LB looked to be stuck in cement as their OL had time to get to him and neutralize him from making the tackle. The LB should have tracked the RB and charged down hill to attempt the tackle before OL ever got to him. Whether or not he would have made the tackle or not is a different story. As I wrote last week, pressure the QB when they pass is the name of the game. I don't feel like delving any further.

Officiating, Penalties, Penalties, Penalties, Penalties, Penalties, Penalties, Penalties.

Ugly- Bama just refuses to bring pressure in some of the key 3rd down situations and I don’t get it. If the coverage gets beat, so be it. They are anyway when Bama doesn’t blitz. And Nico has proven time and time again he isn’t comfortable playing in a crowded pocket. I know they were slow getting home at times, but I'd still rather see that than sitting back and still getting beat over the top.

FWIW, the numbers from today...

Iamaleava Under Pressure: 2 of 6 for 34 yards, 1 INT

Back
Top Bottom