| FTBL A look at Tommy Rees

Kirk Van de Graaff

Gravity Checker
Staff
In his first season running the offense, Rees lead Notre Dame to a home upset of No. 1 and defending national champion Clemson, then a 31-14 Rose Bowl semifinal loss to Alabama in Arlington, Texas.
In 2021 Rees helped Wisconsin graduate transfer QB Jack Coan transition into a starter while blending in freshman Tyler Buchner to an 11-2 season that ended with a 37-35 Fiesta Bowl loss to Oklahoma State in Marcus Freeman’s first game as head coach.
Rees’ ND coaching tenure ended with a 9-4 record and Gator Bowl win over South Carolina. After starter Tyler Buchner went down with a broken clavicle losing to Marshall in in upset fashion. Rees developed Drew Pyne into a viable starter. Pyne passed for 2,021 yards, 22 touchdowns and six interceptions in 11 games, including an 8-2 record as the starter. Rees also utilized an reconfigured offensive line into a run first power style team.
When Pyne entered the transfer portal before the Gator Bowl, Rees prepared a medically cleared Buchner for his first game since September. Against the Gamecocks, the sophomore threw for 273 yards and three touchdowns while rushing for another 61 yards and two scores. He connected with tight end Mitchell Evans for the winning 16-yard touchdown pass with 1:36 left to cap a six-minute, 80-yard drive.
Rees boarded a private University of Alabama plane in South Bend and flew to Tuscaloosa to interview with Nick Saban. And the rest is history

In his first season running the offense, Rees lead Notre Dame to a home upset of No. 1 and defending national champion Clemson, then a 31-14 Rose Bowl semifinal loss to Alabama in Arlington, Texas.
Coincidentally, looking back, that game was the one that sent Kelly packing. Publicly, I'd never seen him that upset over the differences in skill level (highlighted by their defense.)

Since he's also the QB coach the focus of how he does is going to be largely centered on that position. So far, he's turning heads with design.

A couple of months ago I mentioned O'Brien's tendency to want the QB to throw the receiver open versus scheming a receiver open: the ol' NFL vs College mind set we've talked about so often. Rees is putting together what I'm labeling as an offense that'll be a bit of Sark and a bit of Kiffin.

Scheming guys open? Sark. We'll see similarities. How well do you guys remember Kiffin moving defensive players around (especially linebackers) with motion? Double entendre warning: I expect to see a mesh.

Coincidentally, looking back, that game was the one that sent Kelly packing. Publicly, I'd never seen him that upset over the differences in skill level (highlighted by their defense.)

Since he's also the QB coach the focus of how he does is going to be largely centered on that position. So far, he's turning heads with design.

A couple of months ago I mentioned O'Brien's tendency to want the QB to throw the receiver open versus scheming a receiver open: the ol' NFL vs College mind set we've talked about so often. Rees is putting together what I'm labeling as an offense that'll be a bit of Sark and a bit of Kiffin.

Scheming guys open? Sark. We'll see similarities. How well do you guys remember Kiffin moving defensive players around (especially linebackers) with motion? Double entendre warning: I expect to see a mesh.
That was always my problem with BoB. Sark was always brilliant at moving guys around to get the matchups. Coincidentally that's how KC destroyed the Philly D in the second half. I really hope Tommy (can we call him TR? like JR? LOL) will follow the same philosophy. Make the defense adjust. Make it hard for them to figure out what you're doing. BoB's offense was like kindergarten. Very easy to defend.

Good offense has always been running plays to set up plays. You must do this if teams are of equal talent like the present. Gone are the days that you can win on talent alone. Ad nauseum we've talked about match ups, you want a Will Anderson covering slot receiver or back out of back field. Way back when we called it "manipulating the defense", advantage offense.

Kiffin had Henry, OJ Howard and Ridley and it was OJ that he used to perfection against Clemson. That ‘14 season, he moved Cooper all over the offense and caused so many mismatches!!
Sark had so many toys and his use of D. Smith after Waddle went down was absolutely brilliant. Rees will have plenty to choose from as well. I just want to see playmakers using their abilities. BOB failed Gibbs in my opinion. If he was the fasted on the roster, then he should’ve been used out in patterns, instead of splitting him wide, to only have him stand still to catch passes and then try and get to full speed. I’m going to continue to beat the drum that Milroe in a short yardage package should he not be our starter at QB, will be a freaking pain in the ass for defenses to try and defend. Designed QB runs, with sprint out RPOs putting extreme stress on edge defenders.

Kiffin had Henry, OJ Howard and Ridley and it was OJ that he used to perfection against Clemson. That ‘14 season, he moved Cooper all over the offense and caused so many mismatches!!
Sark had so many toys and his use of D. Smith after Waddle went down was absolutely brilliant. Rees will have plenty to choose from as well. I just want to see playmakers using their abilities. BOB failed Gibbs in my opinion. If he was the fasted on the roster, then he should’ve been used out in patterns, instead of splitting him wide, to only have him stand still to catch passes and then try and get to full speed. I’m going to continue to beat the drum that Milroe in a short yardage package should he not be our starter at QB, will be a freaking pain in the ass for defenses to try and defend. Designed QB runs, with sprint out RPOs putting extreme stress on edge defenders.
I wonder if not having a clear cut #1 WR might actually help Rees, rather than being a negative.

Great analysis, and the Gibbs thing is spot on, BOB failed him miserably.

Rees is putting together what I'm labeling as an offense that'll be a bit of Sark and a bit of Kiffin.

I hope this is correct.

That post was in February. I don't see that dynamicism? (is that a word?) Check the fall camp thread...after scrimmage (scrimmage) Saturday I've got this feeling the offense is best if they keep it between the hashes. The Ace formation is there...do we see it again?
What is the Ace Formation?

That post was in February. I don't see that dynamicism? (is that a word?) Check the fall camp thread...after scrimmage (scrimmage) Saturday I've got this feeling the offense is best if they keep it between the hashes. The Ace formation is there...do we see it again?
Saban wanted to get back to his old style. I just hope Rees also utilizes motion like he did at ND and creates mismatches.

Back
Top Bottom