| FTBL Your final thoughts on the 2023 Football squad?

For Milroe to be invited to NY next year, and for us to make the playoffs, he’s going to have to develop as a passer. Daniels has 1,000 more passing yards in 1 less game (since Milroe didn’t play against USF) and 600 less rushing yards. We don’t need him to increase the rushing yards as much as the passing. He finished almost tied with McCarthy in passing yards for the season. And McCarthy is not that strong.

Saban's best coaching job, I suppose. But definitely NOT one of the best teams of the Saban era. The 2010 team would have beaten this team handily. I kept hearing that once this team found "it" they would resemble one of the juggernaut Saban teams of the past decade. Well...they never found "it" whatever "it" was. I didn't care for Burton's antics earlier in the season after he would make a play. It stopped at some point, which was good, but why Saban let him act like that without saying anything sooner was really head scratching.

I didn't get a lot of things about this year. Saban seemed almost jubilant at times and for no reason. Maybe he knows he's winding down and he's opted to just have fun with the whole thing. I keep hearing that the best of the Saban dynasty is still yet to come. Well this is the first 3 year stretch (of the Saban era) without a national title, so I think that that speaks volumes.

One more national championship before he heads off into the sunset would be nice but I'm not seeing it. I hope I'm wrong. I think the dynasty jumped the shark in 2020.

For Milroe to be invited to NY next year, and for us to make the playoffs, he’s going to have to develop as a passer. Daniels has 1,000 more passing yards in 1 less game (since Milroe didn’t play against USF) and 600 less rushing yards. We don’t need him to increase the rushing yards as much as the passing. He finished almost tied with McCarthy in passing yards for the season. And McCarthy is not that strong.
Milroe is a great open field runner.. but an easy sack and poor balance in a phone booth..

Milroe is a great open field runner.. but an easy sack and poor balance in a phone booth..
He's an athlete, not a QB... currently. Not sure if he has what it takes to be a QB, but if he does he could be a very good one. He seems to listen and learn, so I guess there is a chance if he stays long enough and gets good coaching he develops into something special. As an Athlete in College football he'll do just fine at the QB spot, but that won't translate to the pro level unless he develops the QB skills/mind to go with it. I still don't understand what's wrong with Simpson... I think he was the best "QB" on the team this year and not sure why he's not progressing.

He's an athlete, not a QB... currently. Not sure if he has what it takes to be a QB, but if he does he could be a very good one. He seems to listen and learn, so I guess there is a chance if he stays long enough and gets good coaching he develops into something special. As an Athlete in College football he'll do just fine at the QB spot, but that won't translate to the pro level unless he develops the QB skills/mind to go with it. I still don't understand what's wrong with Simpson... I think he was the best "QB" on the team this year and not sure why he's not progressing.
To be honest, the team decided it would be only Milroe to start.. during South Fla the team made that clear… The only way another qb would have been allowed to start this year was for Milroe to go down to injury..It may happen next year too.. who knows

This team reminded so much of the 2014 team. Both had unproven QBs, both won conference championships, both made the CFP, both went 12-2 and both lost in the semifinals to a much more disciplined and older team.
This bunch looked like it would be staring 8-4, maybe 9-3 in the eyes after some less than stellar performances during the season.
In order to win, you must BLOCK, TACKLE, and EXECUTE every single play. Last night, we didn’t and it cost us! While disappointed, I’m still proud of these guys.

Last edited:
This team remained so much of the 2014 team. Both had unproven QBs, both won conference championships, both made the CFP, both went 12-2 and both lost in the semifinals to a much more disciplined and older team.
This bunch looked like it would be staring 8-4, maybe 9-3 in the eyes after some less than stellar performances during the season.
In order to win, you must BLOCK, TACKLE, and EXECUTE every single play. Last night, we didn’t and it cost us! While disappointed, I’m still proud of these guys.
This..... I am proud of them, I have been around Bama football almost 60 years indirectly because of my Father, with at least 50 of them as a direct driving force in my life and taking in the good and bad of it as a whole. Win or lose I Roll with the Tide, no other team, University or PRO team compares. I take the good and the bad. Execution reared its ugly head, and we lost the game. The team as a whole lost this one, not one play, not one coaching blunder but the team. I like our future.

Arguably Saban's finest coaching job at Alabama. This was a 9-3 team that almost made it to the national title game.
This has been a popular sentiment among pundits this season. Saban even doubled down on this in his post-game presser stating how much this team improved from the beginning. However, I noticed a stat last night comparing the % of blue chips on each of the 4 play off rosters, with Bama having a significant lead at #1 with 80ish%, then Texas with 60ish%, then Michigan, then Washington.

If this is indeed Saban's most improved team (and therefore his best coaching job), then are we not also required to conclude his recruiting has declined? Why is our starting floor so low???

Which reminds me of an informative article I read on one of the recruiting sites maybe year or so ago. It documented in detail, class by class, a disturbing increasing rate of recruiting busts over recent years. When you look back on our signing classes, you see large swaths of signees who we never heard from.

Some of you would know more than I, but I'm sure there's a little bit of the tail wagging the dog when it comes to recruiting services. For example, I bet there's a temptation to rate classes more highly relative to the number of paid subscriptions. If true, this would create an artificial incentive to "patronize the most loyal patrons" by inflating the recruiting classes of schools who have the most rabid fan bases willing to pay for exclusive content. Am I off base here, anyone? If not, then maybe Bama's classes have been overrated in recent years.

I'll remember the 2023 team as the team that started off terribly (by Bama standards) and entered October with more doubts than they could count and zero margin of error if they wanted to play in the postseason. Saban worked a masterful job of turning things around and keeping them focused. Milroe took control of the job, and on a touchdown pass against Arkansas where he got planted, took control of the team. They showed their pride and resiliency against the Vols by taking over the game and dominating the 2nd half, sending those bastards back into the hills with a reminder of their place in that rivalry. They went toe to toe with LSU and revenged that loss as well, and did so on the back of Milroe. They went into that cursed stadium in auburn, and for the 2nd consecutive time, flipped the script on them... a dagger to their souls from 31 yards out... again, no margin for error and they came up Aces. UGA was the King of College Football. They were headed for an unprecedented three peat and had reeled off 29 wins in a row. Alabama showed up in Atlanta, and did what they do. They beat UGA in Domed Bryant-Denny and slapped the other Crimson Tide bookend on their win streak while taking back the SEC throne. I know that the College Football Playoff has devalued the SEC Championship for many fans, but that's bullshit. Winning the SEC is hard and should be celebrated for the accomplishment that it is. Above all else, I will remember this team as a team that went undefeated in league play and held that SEC trophy up for the 30th time in school history.

Saban’s defensive schemes no longer produce elite results even though the defensive units are replete with elite recruits. That means Bama has to have an offense much better than the ones they needed to win NC’s during the dynasty years (2009-2017). And that means they have to have elite QB play. The LSU game fooled everyone because at the time it wasn’t completely evident that LSU’s defense was as atrocious it turned out to be. It gave us false hope for the remainder of the season as we thought the light had been turned on. Now, it’s plain to see Milroe has elite physical tools. It’s also plain to see he can’t read defenses well, he’s slow in his progressions and both of those lead to sacks, him being late on some of his throws and him not seeing open receivers. If Bama had this year’s defense with last year’s QB they’d be playing in the NC game next week. A lot of that defense will be gone next season so the offense will have to be elite. Can Milroe be elite? Milroe took the opportunity during the Rose Bowl interviews to blast coaches who had questioned his abilities to be an elite QB. Unfortunately, his play during much of the season and in the Rose Bowl game only legitimized their questioning of his abilities. Can he prove them wrong next season? Sure … and we all hope he can and does. But what if he can’t and doesn’t? Well, two things … Bama most likely won’t win the NC and they will regret having lost two QB’s in the portal.

College football has changed. Defense does not win championships anymore. Now to win a championship you have to have an elite QB with plenty of experience and a veteran returning offense (both line and skill players). Georgia won back to back nattys because of the experience of returning 5 year starter Stetson Bennett. Michigan beat Bama this year because their QB has more experience and is a better QB. Washington beat Texas (and should beat Michigan) because Michael Penix has elite talent and several years of experience. This is what wins championships now. Veteran experience and veteran, highly talented QB play. Bo NIx is another example. I just hope that Millroe can take advantage of his experience and increase his skill set, or Bama will once again be on the outside looking in.

Michigan won will defense last night
I think the previous point is that in the elite category of teams, defenses are not as consequential as offenses, particularly if the offense has an elite and seasoned QB and skill options. Michigan won simply by not making as many mistakes as Bama. Frankly I don’t see Michigan as being that good. But when you play against a team that can’t master the center-QB exchange, all you need to do is avoid too many mistakes.

IMO, CNS did a lot with less this year. The OL was horrendous at the beginning of the year, will definitely be better next year. JM will improve after starting for the first time consistently this year. I am very disappointed in the lack of coverage by our LB and DB’s. There has to be improvements here. The offensive play calling left a lot to be desired. We won more Ganges than I thought and had a chance at another National Championship, never would have dreamed that back in August or September.

I'll remember the 2023 team as the team that started off terribly (by Bama standards) and entered October with more doubts than they could count and zero margin of error if they wanted to play in the postseason. Saban worked a masterful job of turning things around and keeping them focused. Milroe took control of the job, and on a touchdown pass against Arkansas where he got planted, took control of the team. They showed their pride and resiliency against the Vols by taking over the game and dominating the 2nd half, sending those bastards back into the hills with a reminder of their place in that rivalry. They went toe to toe with LSU and revenged that loss as well, and did so on the back of Milroe. They went into that cursed stadium in auburn, and for the 2nd consecutive time, flipped the script on them... a dagger to their souls from 31 yards out... again, no margin for error and they came up Aces. UGA was the King of College Football. They were headed for an unprecedented three peat and had reeled off 29 wins in a row. Alabama showed up in Atlanta, and did what they do. They beat UGA in Domed Bryant-Denny and slapped the other Crimson Tide bookend on their win streak while taking back the SEC throne. I know that the College Football Playoff has devalued the SEC Championship for many fans, but that's bullshit. Winning the SEC is hard and should be celebrated for the accomplishment that it is. Above all else, I will remember this team as a team that went undefeated in league play and held that SEC trophy up for the 30th time in school history.
Another This...... They collected some hardware to the history and lore of all things Crimson Tide. One thing about this fanbase, we demand a lot. Hard place for those that dress out in Crimson to satisfy.

Back
Top Bottom