| FTBL Your final thoughts on the 2023 Football squad?

Arguably Saban's finest coaching job at Alabama. This was a 9-3 team that almost made it to the national title game. The amount of progress these guys made this year was amazing. Overall, this squad was a weird bunch. Alabama usually plays a complete game every year where you get to see the peak potential of the team in what is usually some type of ass stomping; even in years where we don't win it all. For example, in 2010 it was the Citrus Bowl against MSU. In 2007 it was Tennessee. In 2008 it was Clemson. In 2015 it was the Cotton Bowl. In 2016 it was USC or the SEC Championship. The strange thing about the 2023 squad is that they never had a moment where they fired on all cylinders and flat out took it to the opposition... aside from maybe Kentucky. They would look hot, and then they would look like an inexperienced 8-4/9-3 squad. I think their future is bright though. I think they did a good job "letting all naysayers know", but next year I expect them to make other teams shit their pants.

I like Kevin Steele, Robert Bala, and Tommy Rees. Those three men did a great job this year in my opinion, and kudos to them because I don't think they were the first people on Saban's wish list last year. Kevin Steele is not Kirby Smart or Jeremy Pruitt, but I think he has the wits to take this defense to the next level. Tommy Rees is not Steve Sarkisian, but I think he is capable of having a dominating offense that isn't overly finesse. I do think Freddie Roach needs to move on from DL though. His defensive line units have not been consistent since his tenure began as the DL coach. Surprisingly, I am willing to give Eric Wolford another year. I felt there was very good improvement from the offensive line as the year progressed. Cheers yall.

My thoughts. They could have quit after the Texas loss and the close call to south Florida, but they didn't. Tough questions need to be asked and answered though, because the overall talent, mental toughness and execution on the fundamentals on the team has fallen off the past two seasons. Either we are missing on the evaluation of talent or they are not being coached up or the schemes are just not that good. But all that being said; like TideatMileHigh said, in many ways, this team that had as many deficiencies as it did, was 1 game away from playing in the championship

Bad quarterback worse center stubborn coaches

That’s the key … look no further than the QBR’s tonight. Milroe 45 McCarthy 92. Milroe is a different kind of a game manager in that he can run but not throw well. Nonetheless, a game manager can only win it all with an elite defense and it’s been a long time since Bama’s had an elite defense. It’s like Bama can’t figure out who they want to be. Unfortunately, a team who doesn’t know their own identity cam’t win many if any NC’s.

So, in my opinion, Saban needs to figure out who and/or what’s been missing. From 2009 to 2017 Bama won 5 NC’s in those 9 years. From 2018 to 2023 Bama has 1 NC in the past 6 years. The one NC in 2020 now seems like an aberration as Bama’s QB had a career year throwing to a generational Heisman Trophy winning receiver Smith who was the best pass catcher from among other elite receivers in the rotation. That team had an elite killer instinct and as such, they beat teams physically, mentally and emotionally with their elite offense. The previous 5 NC teams overwhelmed their opponents either with elite defenses or with an elite rushing attack or combination of both. The QB’s during those years were labeled game managers who could pass effectively enough to keep defenses honest.

Thus to me between now and next season, Bama needs to find an elite QB with a couple of elite receivers or they need to field a truly elite defense. Having both would be even better but I truly don’t think Saban’s defensive schemes will allow elite players to be part of an elite defense anymore. Too many folks have figured them out and Bama’s defenses no longer intimidate their opponents. Look at how many late 4th quarter drives Bama’s defenses gave up the past few seasons. Those kind of drives were extremely rare during the defensive led dynasty years. Lately, they’re more common than not and that’s why they have been winning and less frequently losing so many nail biters.

We need a lot of help next year. We're losing so much on defense and the offense needs a lot of work. JM has to progress as a passer. He needs to learn to read a defense, go through his progressions, and most of all he needs to learn how to see a blitz. The offensive line needs to get a lot better next year. They were terrible this year. The run game was adequate but we need a Derrick Henry or Najee Harris that can absolutely take over a game when it is needed. And maybe the biggest need next year will be place kicker. Reichard is the best kicker Bama has had, and it will be so tough to replace him. And Rees needs to go back to school and learn how to call a game when nothing in your playbook is working.

Was listening jox on the way to work at about 0450.. This was before the locals come on.. The Saban cashing it in rumors were flying on this show..So I guess that will heat up…

They exceeded expectations. They found a way to beat Auburn in an impossible ending. They knocked Georgia off their throne and reclaimed the SEC title. The beat Tennessee and LSU and every other SEC team they played. We have a lot to be thankful for as Bama fans.

They got our hopes up at the end and came within a stop on 4th and 2 from playing Washington in the NC game. For that I forgive them. :rolleyes:

If nothing else, it was certainly entertaining and at times thrilling. All in all not a bad year. As fans, we are still blessed.

Hope everyone is healthy and happy and has a great year.

Milroe… follow your guard!!.. follow your guard..😉

I don't agree with you or the video you put up of that. There was a strong safety/outside backer sitting right there untouched waiting for him if he followed his guard. He wasn't on the one yard line, he was on the three, so that guy crashes on Milroe and he makes it to the one even if he falls forward. The play wasn't there no matter how you want to slice it.

I don't agree with you or the video you put up of that. There was a strong safety/outside backer sitting right there untouched waiting for him if he followed his guard. He wasn't on the one yard line, he was on the three, so that guy crashes on Milroe and he makes it to the one even if he falls forward. The play wasn't there no matter how you want to slice it.
Milroe should be able to run over a single man in three yards .. but all hindsight is 20/20.. I just believe Milroe panicked and Saban covered for him in the end… which good coaches do..

Simultaneously, one of the most fun and frustrating teams to watch under Saban. Made for a really fun year where we still made the playoffs and beat every conference foe. Losing to Michigan doesn't tarnish what this team accomplished.

More motivation for Saban to go scorched earth next season.

Milroe should be able to run over a single man in three yards .. but all hindsight is 20/20.. I just believe Milroe panicked and Saban covered for him in the end… which good coaches do..
If he was on the one or two yard line I agree. The fact it wouldn't have been heads up and initiated at the three with him crashing down to hit Milroe I still don't think he makes it. Plus Milroe has to take two more steps to even get that direction and with that guy continuing to crash I just don't think he could have gotten there. The play call was all wrong as we had been getting drilled all game long there. Him throwing it to Williams would have been the play in that hit it for us. You see the guy responsible for Williams shooting across the end zone when he heads out and I think Williams at 230 could slide in for a three yarder. Those short passes were open all game long, so zero clue why we chose to run a play that had not been there with zero room to make their backers and safeties move deeper. Terrible terrible play calling.

The disconnect was the low snap. Milroe panicked and tried to make something out of the play. In the end, we shoot ourselves in the foot like usual for this year but can’t overcome it.
Play should have been the same except stop and flip it over the top to Haynes. Hit 'em the face with a hob nailed boot. Just like his Dad did to ut.

This was an interesting team to watch. Came in with big aspirations, got beat up at home by Texas, and then went on a run to give themselves a shot at a National Championship. Saw a lot of growth and development, as well as some regression from players. Frustrating to say the least because this team was capable of so much more, but seemingly found ways to play down to opponents and keep things close by taking series off to keep the other team in the game. Saw a few guys boost their draft status while I personally feel a couple did not and should come back. I understand it's a FIFO system at Alabama to make room for new recruits, but a couple I'd still like to see back.

I absolutely think NIL is toxic and takes a lot of focus of these guys. When their star shined bright it was amazing the amount of marketing that came with their products and what I felt was a show. It was frustrating to see if I'm being completely honest. I'm all about a guy making money from t-shirt sales and all of that, but I honestly believe it's taking its toll on the quality of the college game, and it's happening quickly. It's all about marketing, camps, products, things of that nature. I hear more about that stuff than I do about their actual on-field play. These guys have handlers, agents, and dollar signs moving their pieces, and it's unfortunate for the sport we have come to love.

In the end, I was proud of the way we came to play against Georgia and to give ourselves a shot to win it all. A lot are saying Michigan was the better team, but I do not believe that. I think we beat ourselves and our coaching staff failed us in this one. We were winning the damn game with under 2:00 minutes remaining. Michigan couldn't do anything against our defense. Even if they make both field goals and that extra point it's a tie game atleast. We lost the game, Michigan did not win that game. So what does that say? Even with the most challenging team of Saban's era, he still had the roster to win a National Championship. That says a lot about our boys and their ability. I'm kind of glad it's over to be honest because even if we won I would not have been happy with our showing and it would most likely would have led to an ass beating against Washington. We have a lot of bright talent and I cannot wait to see what these new guys can do for us. I hope Justice Haynes stays. I hope Bond sticks around. I hope Lawson and Braswell come back. I hope Downs continues to shine. We know Milroe is back, so I'm hoping another offseason will allow him to compute mentally to prepare for the moments he left us scratching our heads with holding the ball too long and taking sacks, throwing the ball after crossing the line of scrimmage, and the sliding before the first down in key moments when the first down is all but given. He has a bright future if his development continues and I am rooting for him as he is a likeable young man with a contagious smile. Tough way to end the year, but it is another one in the books and all I can hope for is that everyone is healthy and makes that next step towards their personal goals in life with good advice pushing them. Roll Tide and thanks for a wild 2023-2024 season.

Back
Top Bottom