| NEWS Alabama football: Ty Simpson betting favorite to start at QB Week 1 - On3.com

B

Bama News

One of the biggest storylines of the college football offseason is who will be the starting quarterback for Alabama in 2023.

The Crimson Tide have three competitors in Ty Simpson, Tyler Buchner and Jalen Milroe who are battling for the job.

Simpson is entering his redshirt freshman season at Alabama, while Buchner transferred in from Notre Dame. He will be a redshirt sophomore in 2023. Milroe is also a redshirt sophomore and is back after appearing in eight games for the Crimson Tide in 2022.

The quarterback battle appears to be fairly even heading into preseason camp. With that said, BetOnline.ag recently released its odds for who will be the starting quarterback for Alabama in Week 1 when the Crimson Tide hosts Middle Tennessee.

BetOnline.ag has Ty Simpson as the slight favorite to be the starter for Week 1 at +105 odds. Tyler Buchner is not far behind at +140. Then there’s a significant gap before Jalen Milroe, who comes in at +300.

Simpson appeared in four games last season, completing 4 of his 5 attempts for 80 yards. The Tennessee native signed with Alabama as a five-star recruit and the No. 2 quarterback in the country for the class of 2022, according to the On3 Industry Rankings.

Buchner was named the starting quarterback for Notre Dame for 2022. However, he suffered a serious injury early in the season and missed most of the year. He did return for the bowl game against South Carolina and helped the Fighting Irish to a win in the Gator Bowl.

Buchner passed for 273 yards and accounted for five touchdowns against the Gamecocks. He also threw three picks in that game. He will be coached by his former Notre Dame offensive coordinator in Tommy Rees at Alabama after Rees left for the Crimson Tide OC job this offseason.

Milroe was the backup quarterback for Alabama behind eventual No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young last season. He rushed for 263 yards and a touchdown over eight games, while also passing for 297 yards and five scores. Milroe is more dangerous as a runner than a passer as he completed only 58.5 percent of his passes last year and tossed three interceptions.

Alabama head coach Nick Saban spoke about the Crimson Tide’s quarterback battle last week at SEC Media Days.

“We need all of our quarterbacks to develop for our team. I don’t think anyone has separated themselves to this point, even though I’ve seen improvement in each and every guy in terms of what they’re doing and how they’re developing,” Saban said. “But we need that on our team. We don’t just need a starter, we need a backup, we need good players [throughout the depth chart] at that position.

“Just like Jalen Milroe had the opportunity to play last year, he was ready in the Arkansas game and then the Texas A&M game. So, when someone separates themselves, and nobody knows for sure when that is — I can’t establish a timetable … it’s going to happen when it happens.”

"It's really quiet around campus right now."

Most of the time when you see fans say that what are they talking about? No one has been arrested; the team is staying out of trouble this summer.

It's really quiet around campus right now...until Greg Mac put the kabosh on that. In case you missed it, for the last week or so he's been pointing to Ty as the starter in the interviews/analysis he's been giving.

In betting terms only, the value is at +140. In life terms, no damn way I'd bet money on this one!
BetOnline.ag has Ty Simpson as the slight favorite to be the starter for Week 1 at +105 odds. Tyler Buchner is not far behind at +140.
The difference between +140 and +105 IS NOT SLIGHT. Geez, what world ...

I have been putting my money on Simpson since before spring ball. He seems to have a better command of the offense and he goes through his progressions faster. I like Jalen as well. He's tough, and he seems to be a real team guy. It feels similar to the battle between Hurts and Tua.

I believe Coach Saban wants Milroe to be the guy… he wants the next Rohan Davey or Jamarcus Russell type qb… a big scrambler with a big arm
Where did you get that ? I never got any sense from Saban that he wants Milroe to be the guy. He just want someone who can make least mistakes and put the team in positive situations.

I thought the battle is between Simpson and Buchner at this moment. Milroe is struggling to keep up...

Where did you get that ? I never got any sense from Saban that he wants Milroe to be the guy. He just want someone who can make least mistakes and put the team in positive situations.

I thought the battle is between Simpson and Buchner at this moment. Milroe is struggling to keep up...

I happen to think he does as well. Two reasons, his experience in the program and his athleticism. He hasn't said this at all, just my thoughts on it after our history under Saban. Milroe can run if things break downand he has a rifle for an arm. Jalen Hurts took us to two Natty's with that combo. Milroe has to contain that arm and learn to properly use it, but when you break it down the other two guys haven't just blown folks away and ran away with the job either. So you take experience and athleticism in those decisions.

I heard Milroe was doing well… I heard he was working with a quarterback guru in Florida… but Milroe would be a great Cam Newton type qb… if they dont use he at qb they need to immediately put him in the open field…he has speed…

I heard Milroe was doing well… I heard he was working with a quarterback guru in Florida… but Milroe would be a great Cam Newton type qb… if they dont use he at qb they need to immediately put him in the open field…he has speed…
He spent a couple of days at a camp with a few of Bama's WR's about two months ago.

I happen to think he does as well. Two reasons, his experience in the program and his athleticism. He hasn't said this at all, just my thoughts on it after our history under Saban. Milroe can run if things break downand he has a rifle for an arm. Jalen Hurts took us to two Natty's with that combo. Milroe has to contain that arm and learn to properly use it, but when you break it down the other two guys haven't just blown folks away and ran away with the job either. So you take experience and athleticism in those decisions.
Has the talent, but can it translate to the field?! Remember the new OC demands every qbs to be able to make right decisions during the game.

He spent a couple of days at a camp with a few of Bama's WR's about two months ago.
I read somewhere he was picking up steam in the contest…Saban needs find a way to keep him happy if he is not the qb… he is not great at the start of a run so he is not a running back type… but if he is in the open field his speed kills..he can transfer next year…

Summer workout and fall camp. Huge difference. Buncher has the experience.

1. familiar with rees offense
2. More game experience

Milroe is more suited for RPO offense.
Simpson is more of a pro back offense QB.
Buchner can do both.

Milroe has to contain that arm and learn to properly use it, but when you break it down the other two guys haven't just blown folks away and ran away with the job either.
The reports from spring camp had Buchner as QB1 (over Sam Hartman) in South Bend for the first two weeks. These same guys also reported that it seemed Buchner had "checked out" the last week of camp and they weren't sure how it would end. A week later Buchner transfers to Bama.
It feels similar to the battle between Hurts and Tua.
Hurts and Tua, Watts and Zow, Coker and Blake ... all kinds of similarities except one big one.

A couple of years ago the NCAA passed an addendum that changed the rules for contact with players over the summer. Rees can work with these guys up until fall camp begins. I believe the limit is 20 hours per week but I'll have to double check that.

It puts a bit of a new spin on 7 on 7's ... QB's are getting a lot more coaching this summer than they have in the past.

I just think he needs to be able to get in the open field… he is a big yardage weapon…he needs space.. he gets arm tackled in a phone booth…
To do that, he would need reps. It's not easy to play RB or WR. He hasn't worked out at different position and I don't think he should. He should continue to focus on QB as he has the potential to be a good one. You forgot one thing though. His ball security when he's running isn't ideal.

More so than this, do you want to put Milroe in a position he's never played?
If it becomes obvious he cant play qb on our level or the next, then he needs something to make him a star…a new posistion or another team.. but reality is currently setting in, “He will not be that guy”…would hate to see him waste away on the pine… and it would clear a scholly…

The reports from spring camp had Buchner as QB1 (over Sam Hartman) in South Bend for the first two weeks. These same guys also reported that it seemed Buchner had "checked out" the last week of camp and they weren't sure how it would end. A week later Buchner transfers to Bama.

Hurts and Tua, Watts and Zow, Coker and Blake ... all kinds of similarities except one big one.

A couple of years ago the NCAA passed an addendum that changed the rules for contact with players over the summer. Rees can work with these guys up until fall camp begins. I believe the limit is 20 hours per week but I'll have to double check that.

It puts a bit of a new spin on 7 on 7's ... QB's are getting a lot more coaching this summer than they have in the past.
I completely forgot about coaches can work with players during the summer. This is huge for many reasons.
Focus more on fundamental skills, develop good habits and installing and executing offense earlier so they can hit the fall camp ready to go.

Want to point out that fall camp is whole another beast. How many time we've saw players that shines in spring and summer workout only to fade away in fall camp? Holden comes to mind.

If it becomes obvious he cant play qb on our level or the next, then he needs something to make him a star…a new posistion or another team.. but reality is currently setting in, “He will not be that guy”…would hate to see him waste away on the pine… and it would clear a scholly…
Here's the thing. We don't need a QB or any players to be star. We just need them to do their job. Focus on their job and rest will fall along.

Back
Top Bottom