| FTBL The Good, The Bad and The Ugly vs. Jawga

To me, the turning point for them was the 4th and 3 on their 1st TD drive. One of our DLs came through LOS and missed Etienne in back field. We get a stop here, it’s game set match, we are up 28-0 and had a short field to boot.
The interception in the red zone was huge for them as well. The mugging of our receiver just before half (no call) was unbelievable and prevented us scoring more points. Failure of our back (22) to get the 1st down in 4th quarter kept them in game.
Maybe the best half of football UA has played vs a high quality opponent in a long time. And I will say the very best after an off week.
We can be hard to beat but are very capable of beating ourselves with stupid penalties.
Stupid penalties and....... inexperience. They exploited out DBs. Dline has to make more push. But that's vs uga Oline. One of best in nation.

At one stretch, which was more than half the game, on offense we went: turnover on downs, INT, punt, punt, FG, punt, punt, punt. 8 consecutive possessions, 40 plays, 193 yards (54 on the one pass to Williams that he made an incredible adjustment on to tip up and catch). Averaged 5 plays per drive and 24 yards per drive.

Of our 190 yards of offense in the 2nd half, 130 was on the 2 passes thrown up to Williams. 69% of our offense on 2 pass plays in very tight coverage, basically 50/50 balls.

We got beyond conservative. It was painful to watch.
I was going to get around to expressing this point. The drama and elation at the end hid some disturbing storylines of how the game unfolded. Now it may be that this is simply as good as we can be right now. And beating UGA is pretty damn good. But … two items that interest me:
  • We could only run the ball with an extra ball carrier (Milroe) carrying it. And that was only for one half. I was very disappointed with our OL run blocking, especially considering I expected this unit to be elite. Being explosive is nice, but I can’t help but hear my imaginary Saban commenting that we’ve got to learn how to possess the ball on offense.
  • Our composure is pathetic. Way too emotional. Even leaders like Booker are commiting stupid penalties.

To me, the turning point for them was the 4th and 3 on their 1st TD drive. One of our DLs came through LOS and missed Etienne in back field. We get a stop here, it’s game set match, we are up 28-0 and had a short field to boot.
The interception in the red zone was huge for them as well. The mugging of our receiver just before half (no call) was unbelievable and prevented us scoring more points. Failure of our back (22) to get the 1st down in 4th quarter kept them in game.
Maybe the best half of football UA has played vs a high quality opponent in a long time. And I will say the very best after an off week.
We can be hard to beat but are very capable of beating ourselves with stupid penalties.
But there was lot of missed PI calls by referees. We can complain all we want. At end of the day, they will learn from this and get better.

In all fairness that was a pretty weak call after seeing the replay. Probably should never have touched the guy but good lord it was a little push.

Incredibly weak. Nothing about that block should even come close to getting flagged. It’s a clean block while the play is ongoing with a defender trailing/chasing the ball carrier.

Another thing - the majority of the 2nd half UGA was playing 4-down football. It’s very tough to keep a talented team from getting 1st downs when they have 4 downs to get it.
In a closer game, Kirby would have punted several times.
* poor officiating also helped to keep Uga drives alive.
Kirby even said the same thing in his post game presser... he was asked what changed for the offense in the 2nd half... his comment was that he had 4 downs to play with so that essentially gives you one down to waste. I mean it was early in the 3rd period that they went for it several times on 4th down on their own end... (4th and 1 on the uGA 29 and 4th and 3 on the uGA 37) and then another on the same drive 4th and 5 on the uGA 47. If they get stopped on just one of those, and it's game over. uGA was very fortunate to be 5 for 5 on 4th downs...

Kirby even said the same thing in his post game presser... he was asked what changed for the offense in the 2nd half... his comment was that he had 4 downs to play with so that essentially gives you one down to waste. I mean it was early in the 3rd period that they went for it several times on 4th down on their own end... If they get stopped on just one of those, and it's game over. uGA was very fortunate to be 5 for 5 on 4th downs...
A lot of fans are blaming Bobo, for the lose.. It sure as hell was not Bobo… Bobo called a good game…Beck just wet the bed, the first half..

Stupid penalties and....... inexperience. They exploited out DBs. Dline has to make more push. But that's vs uga Oline. One of best in nation.
I expected our DBs to get burned a bit. I know I've seen Morgan burned often this year... young kid that plays the run well, but seems to be out of position on pass. However, #2 was burned many many many times in this game... thank goodness he got in position on the last play for the INT.

A lot of fans are blaming Bobo, for the lose.. It sure as hell was not Bobo… Bobo called a good game…Beck just wet the bed, the first half..
And there were several WR drops and offensive pass interference penalties too. If I were to blame UGA coaching, I’d blame their neglect of the running game. It was there for them all night. If I were them, after Bama’s 2nd or 3rd TD, rather than panic, I’d have stayed in Ace formation and taken a 3 yds/carry while keeping our offense off the field. And then eventually use play action to exploit our youth at DB. I bet they do this if we face Georgia again this season.

We snapped the ball with 10-12 seconds left on the clock. Very bad clock management by CKD, the OC and QB.
I was losing my mind during our possession ahead of GA's go-ahead TD. After the game and listening to Coach's comments, he talked about the work Milroe had done to improve, and more than once he talked about being in a rhythm. I think he thought the rhythm was more important that bleeding the clock. Had we made a first down, the clock would've taken care of itself. That's the only explanation I have for that possession.

Back
Top Bottom