| FTBL The Good, The Bad and The Ugly vs. Jawga

Bad— The Dline has a problem with penetration.. they get through sometimes, but mainly they get stood up and pushed back.. this isn’t the only game… The 2nd and 3rd level is actually bringing a majority of the qb pressure.. and that leaves uncovered receivers.. a lot of people were complaining about only three men rush, but the quarterback was too hot and the receivers had to be covered.. Bring out the sleds..

Last edited:
Watch the change in defensive strategy after they got the big lead, they were playing a more "keep everything in front of us" defense and it let Georgia drive the field. We should've kept the pressure on Beck with more blitzes and more disguised coverages.

Good - We pulled it out and the offense looked Dynamic when it needed to be. Defense for the majority of the game.
Bad - Changing our defensive philosophy and allowing Georgia to claw their way back into a 28 point lead, not a good look there. Offensive play calling and execution after our big lead early.
Ugly - Officials as much as Georgia wants to complain about referees they definitely got the lion's share of the calls tonight and in some pretty crucial situations. I believe 2 4th downs they were saved by penalties that were very ticky tack. Also multiple times Bama's WR were getting contacted well before the ball and it remained uncalled. I felt the crew was "letting the play" because Georgia was losing but then would try to push Georgia along with a random penalty here and there.

Observation: We definitely swapped out of all the blitzing and pressure in the 2nd half we barely played press coverage most of the time we were 8 yards off of the WR which allowed beck to check down a ton and get 5-6 yards on almost every throw. I think we played way to conservative on defense and offense to start the 3rd and it nearly bit us in the butt. Good thing to note is if we were continuing to attack we could've scored 50 against probably the best defense we face all year. That's something to think about

Watch the change in defensive strategy after they got the big lead, they were playing a more "keep everything in front of us" defense and it let Georgia drive the field. We should've kept the pressure on Beck with more blitzes and more disguised coverages.

Good - We pulled it out and the offense looked Dynamic when it needed to be. Defense for the majority of the game.
Bad - Changing our defensive philosophy and allowing Georgia to claw their way back into a 28 point lead, not a good look there. Offensive play calling and execution after our big lead early.
Ugly - Officials as much as Georgia wants to complain about referees they definitely got the lion's share of the calls tonight and in some pretty crucial situations. I believe 2 4th downs they were saved by penalties that were very ticky tack. Also multiple times Bama's WR were getting contacted well before the ball and it remained uncalled. I felt the crew was "letting the play" because Georgia was losing but then would try to push Georgia along with a random penalty here and there.

Observation: We definitely swapped out of all the blitzing and pressure in the 2nd half we barely played press coverage most of the time we were 8 yards off of the WR which allowed beck to check down a ton and get 5-6 yards on almost every throw. I think we played way to conservative on defense and offense to start the 3rd and it nearly bit us in the butt. Good thing to note is if we were continuing to attack we could've scored 50 against probably the best defense we face all year. That's something to think about
Another thing - the majority of the 2nd half UGA was playing 4-down football. It’s very tough to keep a talented team from getting 1st downs when they have 4 downs to get it.
In a closer game, Kirby would have punted several times.
* poor officiating also helped to keep Uga drives alive.

I re-watched the game this morning. Really the worst part was not being able to get off the field on 4th downs - if we get one or two of those we would have blown them out. Those are the daggers that we as a team have to take advantage of.

Most of the 4th downs were in UGA territory - and some were DEEP in their territory. If we stop them, that’s points on the board for us.

Also, the INT we had inside the redzone…points off the board, AND momentum changers.

Got to go for the jugular when we have the chance. Especially against championship caliber teams.

Good thing to note is if we were continuing to attack we could've scored 50 against probably the best defense we face all year. That's something to think about
Coach said as much in the last week. It's not there yet.

This reminds me of something Bruce Pearl said last year about the Bama offense. "They are going to run some people." I'm looking at Oklahoma and thinking, "they ain't gonna like this at home."

Another thing - the majority of the 2nd half UGA was playing 4-down football. It’s very tough to keep a talented team from getting 1st downs when they have 4 downs to get it.
In a closer game, Kirby would have punted several times.
* poor officiating also helped to keep Uga drives alive.
True but we should have stopped 1 or 2 of these and the game probalby gets put away.

At one stretch, which was more than half the game, on offense we went: turnover on downs, INT, punt, punt, FG, punt, punt, punt. 8 consecutive possessions, 40 plays, 193 yards (54 on the one pass to Williams that he made an incredible adjustment on to tip up and catch). Averaged 5 plays per drive and 24 yards per drive.

Of our 190 yards of offense in the 2nd half, 130 was on the 2 passes thrown up to Williams. 69% of our offense on 2 pass plays in very tight coverage, basically 50/50 balls.

We got beyond conservative. It was painful to watch.

True but we should have stopped 1 or 2 of these and the game probalby gets put away.
I agree completely. But it’s like Gene Stallings used to say - the other team has good players also.
* we would have stopped one of the 4th down tries if we hadn’t stopped the play with a timeout
** while I agree completely, I’d rather have the win instead of the brag of making all the 4th downs lol

Good: the energy we came out with on both sides of the ball. The play calling the first quarter was wonderful. The two blitzes we ran that resulted in an INT and a safety. Ryan Williams. Remind me Kirby, is he just 17? 🤣 Brown’s focus and determination even after getting burned. He kept his head in there and made the play. Getting to play Georgia outside of the state of Georgia, for once. Kirby’s halftime adjustments were a thing of beauty for them.

Bad: Penalties again. Killing us. Some poor punts, the muffed kickoff. Defense the last 3 quarters. 4th down defense where they were 7-7 if you count the penalties we made on 4th down. I’ve never seen that kind of success on 4th down. Our DB and safety play the 4th quarter. The lack of separation by our receivers the 2nd half. The continued run calls the 2nd half to the boundary when UGA has clearly adjusted for that. Beck staring down receivers like a boss. Our lack of adjustments at halftime.

Ugly: the Grand Canyon size pocket that Beck had to throw from the last 3 quarters. Our play calling in quarters 2, 3, and 4. The lack of energy from the crowd the 2nd half. The thought of Kirby celebrating a 28 point come-from-behind victory in our house. Our entire team folding like a wet paper sack for nearly 3 quarters, I’ve never seen a team lay down like that before.

Guys, we owe that win to Ryan Williams. He got us 10 points in the 2nd half, our only 10, on the only 2 real positive plays the last 66% of the game. We just quit on offense other than his 2 catches. And he was not open on either of those plays. He went up and made plays and got us those points. Was rightly covered, passes not thrown that great, he did what it took. If he hadn’t scored on that last pass, I have all confidence we’d have had to settle for another field goal. Williams gave us the chance to win and even stay in the game. Kid is a freak of nature.

Beck just threw for 340 yards on us at home… in the 2nd half! I didn’t think he was a gun slinger and I didn’t think they had the WR threats. I was very wrong.
What he said.

At one stretch, which was more than half the game, on offense we went: turnover on downs, INT, punt, punt, FG, punt, punt, punt. 8 consecutive possessions, 40 plays, 193 yards (54 on the one pass to Williams that he made an incredible adjustment on to tip up and catch). Averaged 5 plays per drive and 24 yards per drive.

Of our 190 yards of offense in the 2nd half, 130 was on the 2 passes thrown up to Williams. 69% of our offense on 2 pass plays in very tight coverage, basically 50/50 balls.

We got beyond conservative. It was painful to watch.

I should have added, our average time of possession for each of those drives was about 2:15 per drive. I’m not sure if we were trying to run clock or not, but we didn’t.

Last edited:
Good: The number of turnovers, our Defense FINALLY GETS A STOP on the final drive ( memories of Ohio State, Clemson, et al).

Bad: the number of offensive interference penalties NOT called against Gawja.

Ugly: ABC-Disney’s control room bias. Only one shot of our former President and on the score ticker at the bottom of the screen, only one shot of the MSU-OSU score. I later learned that game was broadcast on Peacock.

Good: The number of turnovers, our Defense FINALLY GETS A STOP on the final drive ( memories of Ohio State, Clemson, et al).

Ugly: ABC-Disney’s control room bias. Only one shot of our former President and on the score ticker at the bottom of the screen, only one shot of the MSU-OSU score. I later learned that game was broadcast on Peacock.
I wondered to myself that if the other presidential candidate had been a the game, would she have gotten more than a 3-second camera shot and even a mention that she was in attendance. Just fleeting curiosity.

I really wish they'd do away with score tickers... they are way outdated and cover up the bottom portion of the field for no reason. There's 100 other ways we can get a score update, other than waiting for it to pop up every 8 minutes on a scroll bar. Then, they'll occasionally flash yellow and you think there's a flag or something on a play, no, just a SCORE UPDATE! Ohio State now leads Michigan State 47-13...

5 for 5 and then 2 more they got off our penalties. So they went for it 7 times and got the first down all 7. That was pathetic, or for them, it was incredible perfection.
Wasnt really perfection....we helped with ...grabbing jerseys...other stupid helpouts...
I havent seen game on tv. Maybe officiating heped. I don't know.
I do know. The db mugged a Bama receiver at near end of first half. Official standing right there watching. And no call. Awful. Would have been first down. Deep in UGA territory

I wondered to myself that if the other presidential candidate had been a the game, would she have gotten more than a 3-second camera shot and even a mention that she was in attendance. Just fleeting curiosity.
I just saw a video showing Trumps entrance to the game and Kid Rock was in the background. If it was Taylor Swift at the game because she’s BROCKie?

To me, the turning point for them was the 4th and 3 on their 1st TD drive. One of our DLs came through LOS and missed Etienne in back field. We get a stop here, it’s game set match, we are up 28-0 and had a short field to boot.
The interception in the red zone was huge for them as well. The mugging of our receiver just before half (no call) was unbelievable and prevented us scoring more points. Failure of our back (22) to get the 1st down in 4th quarter kept them in game.
Maybe the best half of football UA has played vs a high quality opponent in a long time. And I will say the very best after an off week.
We can be hard to beat but are very capable of beating ourselves with stupid penalties.

Back
Top Bottom