| FTBL The Good, The Bad and The Ugly vs. Jawga

I think he thought the rhythm was more important that bleeding the clock
Do you really think DeBoer values rhythm more than proper clock management? As I get a feel for how DeBoer answers the press, I really think he often says a lot just to give vague replies when he really doesn’t want to reveal what’s been asked. It would be hard for me to think any coach in our situation would not train their QB to drain the clock with a dwindling lead in the 4th qtr as we prove helpless to stop UGA drive after drive, 4th down after 4th down.

Do you really think DeBoer values rhythm more than proper clock management? As I get a feel for how DeBoer answers the press, I really think he often says a lot just to give vague replies when he really doesn’t want to reveal what’s been asked. It would be hard for me to think any coach in our situation would not train their QB to drain the clock with a dwindling lead in the 4th qtr as we prove helpless to stop UGA drive after drive, 4th down after 4th down.

^^^Circle gets the square^^^

Posted this after the USF game....

I think that's absolutely part of it... they've gone to great lengths to keep some things under wraps.... and as friendly as DeBoer is with the media, he actually plays things closer to the vest than Saban ever did with some of that stuff... he will say a lot without saying anything, type stuff. But I also think in week 2 with a new team and a reshuffled OL, they may not have felt comfortable running some stuff they didn't practice all week. And I get that too. I was a little heavy handed last night on the emphasis of downfield passing and lack of underneath stuff, but I think they just stuck with what they planned for, for the most part. Eventually, the run game did wear USF down (with an assist to Pritchett). But I bet they were expecting more success on the ground early...

That's all I got in possible, supportable reasons. I went back to a couple of plays on that possession that are in an extended highlight cliip on YouTube, and we snapped plays in the high teens and at least one at twenty seconds.

I was losing my mind during our possession ahead of GA's go-ahead TD. After the game and listening to Coach's comments, he talked about the work Milroe had done to improve, and more than once he talked about being in a rhythm. I think he thought the rhythm was more important that bleeding the clock. Had we made a first down, the clock would've taken care of itself. That's the only explanation I have for that possession.
I can see that. Get the 1st down and we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

The pass to Jam was a thing of beauty. I have always wondered why Bama OCs don't use this concept more often. Bama opponents use it against them often enough. It's an almost perfect play because you have a mismatch, the LB is usually turned around and not watching the QB, the RB normally is running at top speed, and even if it is not completed it often leads to a PI call. It's a hard call to defend.

I was losing my mind during our possession ahead of GA's go-ahead TD. After the game and listening to Coach's comments, he talked about the work Milroe had done to improve, and more than once he talked about being in a rhythm. I think he thought the rhythm was more important that bleeding the clock. Had we made a first down, the clock would've taken care of itself. That's the only explanation I have for that possession.
Was a very poor effort on 22 part to get first down on the third down pass.
He turns it up and powers into db. He should have the first.

Which he didnt do and which we didnt make.

But. Because of that. What an ending it turned out to be

Great win vs a damn good football team

#4 played lights out
OL was very good
TE play as a unit was the best I recall from a Bama team (the one juggle pick by 81 was just a difficult throw to catch
Receivers as a hole did great work...got to get #1 where he can stay on the damn field
Punter was outstanding again
I don't want #2 returning kickoffs
All the former Husky players that came with Kalen have been solid

and then

DL is playing hard (no sure about how much ability they have to be elite)...#10 Otis ain't it .
DB's coming along and Saturday should have helped them even though they lost some battles. They now have been to war with a great team and survived.

JMO but the weakest position on this defense is #0 and #11 at ILBer. They look the part but they're nothing special. #15 can't stay healthy long enough to see if he can take #11's spot. Neither one of them could catch a cold (interceptions).

Excluding Nick and Kalen, this staff is better than last year's crew.

Oh and RB's....22 and 26 have ability but lack instincts on where the yardage is needed. There is a time for juking and a time for lowering the shoulder and doing everything possible for a yard when needed. Kalen might want to stop by the RB Coach's office and remind him to get this fixed.

This bunch has a chance to be pretty good.

Hope they don't just think they can throw their headgear out on Saturday and Vandy will surrender.

Roll Tide

Great win vs a damn good football team

#4 played lights out
OL was very good
TE play as a unit was the best I recall from a Bama team (the one juggle pick by 81 was just a difficult throw to catch
Receivers as a hole did great work...got to get #1 where he can stay on the damn field
Punter was outstanding again
I don't want #2 returning kickoffs
All the former Husky players that came with Kalen have been solid

and then

DL is playing hard (no sure about how much ability they have to be elite)...#10 Otis ain't it .
DB's coming along and Saturday should have helped them even though they lost some battles. They now have been to war with a great team and survived.

JMO but the weakest position on this defense is #0 and #11 at ILBer. They look the part but they're nothing special. #15 can't stay healthy long enough to see if he can take #11's spot. Neither one of them could catch a cold (interceptions).

Excluding Nick and Kalen, this staff is better than last year's crew.

Oh and RB's....22 and 26 have ability but lack instincts on where the yardage is needed. There is a time for juking and a time for lowering the shoulder and doing everything possible for a yard when needed. Kalen might want to stop by the RB Coach's office and remind him to get this fixed.

This bunch has a chance to be pretty good.

Hope they don't just think they can throw their headgear out on Saturday and Vandy will surrender.

Roll Tide

@TerryP @Brandon Van de Graaff Can we save and permanently put this post on the main page or archive it somewhere special? 99% praise here. Usually other way around.

This has nothing to do with the cigar tradition with TN. Just a reason to gave a good cigar on a more regular basis. Currently enjoying the Magic Toast in honor of Sat nite. Will have one every time we beat the dawgs.

IMG_1904.jpeg

I still need to archive the game thread chat. When I do, I can show you this. This, to me, is one of the best plays of the game. The wheel route concept. @UAgrad93 we talked about this five or so months ago.

That first pass to Henderson was a thing of beauty too... One of the best passes I've ever seen any college QB make. This clip shows the TV live coverage, but go look for the replay from behind the QB view... Ball was thrown well before the WR even broke back inside and was thrown on a rope for a long pass. I don't know many QB that could have done this... IMHO.

Here it is from the QB view....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom