| FTBL The Good, The Bad, The Ugly and The Really Ugly vs. UM?

Another good - At least we are not getting drilled like Texas is.
Have you ever seen a worse timed injury to a player? Washington is running it up the gut to run out clock and set to punt with 10 seconds left. Instead, the RB with the bum foot gets hurt after the 3rd down run. Stops the clock and UW can’t run that 40 seconds off. Has to punt with 50 seconds instead of 10. Disaster. Then kick catch interference. Another disaster. They were super lucky to hold on to that win. Shouldn’t have come to that. But they’ve done that stuff all year. I kept telling my son when it was a 9 point game. Washington is going to find a way to make it exciting at the end. Somehow some way. And they did with an injury.

Have you ever seen a worse timed injury to a player? Washington is running it up the gut to run out clock and set to punt with 10 seconds left. Instead, the RB with the bum foot gets hurt after the 3rd down run. Stops the clock and UW can’t run that 40 seconds off. Has to punt with 50 seconds instead of 10. Disaster. Then kick catch interference. Another disaster. They were super lucky to hold on to that win. Shouldn’t have come to that. But they’ve done that stuff all year. I kept telling my son when it was a 9 point game. Washington is going to find a way to make it exciting at the end. Somehow some way. And they did with an injury.

First thing I thought of was Mario Cristobal... and apparently by the jokes on Twitter, 10,000,000 other people thought of him too. That whole sequence was just incredibly dumb and almost went down in sports history as an all-timer on the blunder list.

One thing I forgot to add under ugly... the field. The playing surface looked great on TV, but was slippery as hell. On the pregame radio show, it was mentioned that Bama had concerns about it after testing it out a few days ago... and sure enough, guys (especially Milroe) were sliding around everywhere. Both teams had to deal with it, but no reason for that field to be so slippery.

Both teams had to play on this field. The difference was Milroe's bad footwork and indecisiveness. Also, defense playing on their heels instead of attacking. That's when you start seeing the differences in who it affects.

Both teams had to play on this field. The difference was Milroe's bad footwork and indecisiveness. Also, defense playing on their heels instead of attacking. That's when you start seeing the differences in who it affects.
Milroe got away from the game too long.. I think some of the players didn’t take the long lay off well.. the new playoffs won’t have those BS layoffs.. these playoffs should have been played Two weeks after the championship week.. then the rhythm may not have been interrupted

Seen several mention Bama's OL... Now that the season is done, even though the back half was much better for them overall, I'll proclaim that Bigger and Badder doesn't necessarily equal Better. I was ALL IN on this OL in July and August... but IMO, they are a little too big which has sacrificed some quickness... which has led to issues in both pass protection and run blocking. Take Latham for instance... he's about to be one of the top 5 or 6 tackles taken in the draft... and whoever gets him is going to ask him to shed weight, if he doesn't shed it all before that point. Alabama needs a big, strong, powerful OL... but I think we saw enough evidence this year, it doesn't need to be quite THAT big.

I personally think our size is fine. Proctor was the focal point most of tge year simply fue to being a true freshman playing big time college football. He can afford to lose 25 and still will be bigger than 95% of other linemen.

Latham...Latham is a guy I love. His recruiting ranking was a projection that he was green, but a high ceiling. I feel he has grown a ton, but was disappointed in his game this year. I expected a leader that would not lose many reps. He has graded high, but he has also been beat in times of need for us more than not. I see the potential and maybe that is what he's being drafted off of, but he needs another year to truly build and complete his overall game. He looked so confused last night and it cannot bode well for his professional hopes.

Milroe got away from the game too long.. I think some of the players didn’t take the long lay off well.. the new playoffs won’t have those BS layoffs.. these playoffs should have been played Two weeks after the championship week.. then the rhythm may not have been interrupted

I agree with that. The build up, media putting these guys on a pedestal for an entire week just kills their football mindset.

Another UGLY: Law had 1 touch (a catch) for 1 yard. Inexcusable. There were opportunities IMO to get him out on the edge in space a few times against that aggressive UM front.
This was the most mind boggling stat of the game. I thought for sure, Rees would call on speed sweep with how Michigan was loading the box. The play calling all night left a lot to be desired. He got cute when he didn't need to.

The Good: Out of 10 years of the 4 team playoffs, we've been to 8 playoffs, 6 National Championship games and won 3.

The Bad: Losing is always bad.

The Ugly: Snaps that would have been great at a Bowling Alley. The Ugly 2.0: The "no call" running into Burnip.

Good- Reichard, Burnip
Bad- snaps, the stubbornness to move to the quick passing game
Ugly- pass pro struggled because of the stubborn play calls for double moves instead of quick hitters
Ugly, Ugly- losing to Michigan

The team grew throughout the season and overcame a lot, even though most was self-inflicted. Still a proud alumnus!!!
Even though the loss sucks, it still beats the 6-7 seasons that those stupid ass Barners endured!!

Special teams and RB's were good. Downs had some nice plays.

Game plan on both sides of the ball.
In first half, M defense was rushing through our line like you know what,
while we are calling for long developing pass plays downfield. Nothing short.
Why did we not have a better plan for D blitzes? We have not
handled them all season. Why would M not blitz the hell out of us?
Our DB coverage was sketchy at best. Have we EVER covered a RB out of the backfield?
M linemen on both sides of the ball were quicker and faster than ours all night.

Center snaps and overall OL play and QB play at times was ugly.
As was our back end coverage. Too many breakdowns.
IMHO, the whole game was ugly, except for a few shiners mixed in on offense and defense.

Also IMHO, we may have played a little better through the season if we had played our
recruited players more than transfer portal players at LB, WR and S positions.

RMFT ANYWAY..........

Good - Reichard, running backs
Bad - QB indecisiveness
Ugly - Center play, the bad snaps start the play with the timing off. OL could not pick up their pass rush schemes.

We have lived on the knife's edge all season. Not sure we belonged in the playoffs, but others make that decision. For 2024, we need a center, additional O linemen, a new OL coach (?), more dominant wide receivers, replacement DB's, a truly dominant LB. And while I love Milroe as a person and a leader, I hope we have other options at QB next year.

I looked to see the lowest QB passing yards in a college football playoff game to see where Milroe stood. I figured 116 yards was be down there. There’s been some pretty rough games and even shutouts. But those QBs all passed 116 yards. there was one lower though! Surprisingly. And it was one of our own. In the 2016 first round against non other than Washington, Hurts threw for 57 yards. So Milroe is second only to Hurts.

I looked to see the lowest QB passing yards in a college football playoff game to see where Milroe stood. I figured 116 yards was be down there. There’s been some pretty rough games and even shutouts. But those QBs all passed 116 yards. there was one lower though! Surprisingly. And it was one of our own. In the 2016 first round against non other than Washington, Hurts threw for 57 yards. So Milroe is second only to Hurts.
I know it's not a playoff game but, check Jay Barker's numbers vs UM in 1992 National Championship game....

Also not a playoff, but I'm guessing Iowa's QB is dredging mud too. They couldn't score at the Bunny Ranch with a million dollars in cash. :p

Also not a playoff, but I'm guessing Iowa's QB is dredging mud too. They couldn't score at the Bunny Ranch with a million dollars in cash. :p
Iowa’s QB passed for 120 against the Wolverine’s.

I hear you on the 1992 Nc game, but I was trying to keep it to manageable games since I looked all the stats up manually. That’s 32 games worth. And the passing game has changed so much the last 5-8 years.

Iowa’s QB passed for 120 against the Wolverine’s.

I hear you on the 1992 Nc game, but I was trying to keep it to manageable games since I looked all the stats up manually. That’s 32 games worth. And the passing game has changed so much the last 5-8 years.
He hung 56 yards and 2 picks on the Vol'n'tears in the Citrus Bowl. :)

Back
Top Bottom