| FTBL The Good, The Bad, The Ugly and The Really Ugly vs. UM?

A lot of rat poison was was fed from this board.

The board came a long way from being on suicide watch at the end of September... Lot to be happy about and proud of though when it comes to this team. Starting and ending with, Bama reclaimed the SEC and knocked UGA off the top of the college football world, which that had a firm hold of going into the SECCG.

The board came a long way from being on suicide watch at the end of September... Lot to be happy about and proud of though when it comes to this team. Starting and ending with, Bama reclaimed the SEC and knocked UGA off the top of the college football world, which that had a firm hold of going into the SECCG.
I am not as mad as I usually am surprisingly. Little pissed at the fact we had it, and whiffed but not as much as I thought I would be.

Good - kickers, RBs (I was hoping Haynes would get more touches) Defense played well enough until the last two series.

Bad - OC should have made adjustments during the first half to help with the blitzing. The last two defensive series.

Ugly - OT for both sides of ball.

Finally, I hope that Milroe will continue to develop into a consistent player and improve his situational awareness

I am not as mad as I usually am surprisingly. Little pissed at the fact we had it, and whiffed but not as much as I thought I would be.
Just came here to say the same thing. I'm not that upset. If you take off the Bama glasses, with these 4 teams, I'd say Washington and Texas have better QBs. Our o-line was probably the 4th best. Washington and Texas have better receivers. Our overall defense was mid tier. My hope is that our current coaching staff can either improve or that Nick will go out and find better coaches. Our in game offensive game planning has got to improve. We are so used to making the other team quit and have sound fundamentals and to be honest, those things have became a cause of concern the past couple of seasons

Good: all of our RB’s stepped up when Michigan was playing the run. Burnip and Reichard had incredible games. The Rose Bowl.

Bad: the crowd energy the entire 2nd quarter, offensive play calling and defense folding like a wet paper sack on the last 2 possessions. I was not a Rees fan when we hired him from ND and I’m still not. All we needed was one stop from the D and they fell apart. The crowd who was heavy Michigan and they were louder than us. 116 yards passing. 116 yards passing 14 games in to the season. Think about that.

Ugly: Corum being uncovered out of the backfield numerous times, including the 4th and 2 play. The world knew the offense was going through him. Milroe’s fumble when we had snatched the momentum and had them by the throat. That fumble was huge. The O-line protection. The consecutive bad snaps again when we had momentum and gave it away. Michigan with only 2 penalties. Losing and getting out coached by that sleazy rat.

Michigan’s special teams gave us chances all night, 2 muffed punts, missed PAT, missed FG, didn’t fall on our muffed punt.

We didn’t have the attitude I expected the first half, we looked unsure and shaky on offense (and defense at time) especially after those early sacks. We came out better the 2ns half but kept shooting ourself in the foot. We had no answer for Corum. Dude averaged over 5.5 per touch. The money was on Michigan and the money got paid tonight.

I felt we had the better coach and talent, but Michigan wanted it more tonight. Beat us fair and square.

First 3 year stretch under CNS where we didn’t win a NC. Been a good run with that record. Hurts for it to end. After week 2, we knew this team had gaps. They got better and corrected a lot of problems, but some of the same problems but us in the end. 116 yards passing is not going to beat a good team.

One thing I forgot to add under ugly... the field. The playing surface looked great on TV, but was slippery as hell. On the pregame radio show, it was mentioned that Bama had concerns about it after testing it out a few days ago... and sure enough, guys (especially Milroe) were sliding around everywhere. Both teams had to deal with it, but no reason for that field to be so slippery.

Another UGLY: Law had 1 touch (a catch) for 1 yard. Inexcusable. There were opportunities IMO to get him out on the edge in space a few times against that aggressive UM front.
That's a Reese problem that really needs to be addressed. He's had some great games but this was definitely not one of them. He didn't scheme anyone open, he didn't attack the perimeter or use the QB draw until the 2nd half.

You have to play against what you see on defense, if the defense is constantly bringing 5-6 rushers and moving fast up the field. Use the area behind them for quick passes or use their momentum against them with QB draws or screens.

Basic playcalling scenarios and he just seemed to wilt until Half-time where he made the adjustments but we were struggling to capitalize with the negative plays.

We didn’t use a dump off option to a RB all year when teams were pressuring Milroe. And we didn’t tonight, to nobody’s surprise. Every team does that except us. There’s a reason why they do it.

And another one… Milroe sliding on that 3rd down run when he was almost to the yard to gain. What the heck happened there? His decision making was very questionable in many instances tonight.

Seen several mention Bama's OL... Now that the season is done, even though the back half was much better for them overall, I'll proclaim that Bigger and Badder doesn't necessarily equal Better. I was ALL IN on this OL in July and August... but IMO, they are a little too big which has sacrificed some quickness... which has led to issues in both pass protection and run blocking. Take Latham for instance... he's about to be one of the top 5 or 6 tackles taken in the draft... and whoever gets him is going to ask him to shed weight, if he doesn't shed it all before that point. Alabama needs a big, strong, powerful OL... but I think we saw enough evidence this year, it doesn't need to be quite THAT big.

That's a Reese problem that really needs to be addressed. He's had some great games but this was definitely not one of them. He didn't scheme anyone open, he didn't attack the perimeter or use the QB draw until the 2nd half.

You have to play against what you see on defense, if the defense is constantly bringing 5-6 rushers and moving fast up the field. Use the area behind them for quick passes or use their momentum against them with QB draws or screens.

Basic playcalling scenarios and he just seemed to wilt until Half-time where he made the adjustments but we were struggling to capitalize with the negative plays.

I think those first couple of series threw him off and he had trouble adjusting... felt like he got on track later and things started clicking, but then little stuff like bad snaps and dumb penalties (and Jalen's fumble) were just enough to derail it all again.

We didn’t use a dump off option to a RB all year when teams were pressuring Milroe. And we didn’t tonight, to nobody’s surprise. Every team does that except us. There’s a reason why they do it.

And another one… Milroe sliding on that 3rd down run when he was almost to the yard to gain. What the heck happened there? His decision making was very questionable in many instances tonight.

Really wish they'd make a commitment to a strong screen game again.... it sucked under O'Brien... I mean SUCKED, even though he called them a lot. Not as many this season, but they still sucked.... were just wasted downs. It's somehthing that has to be repped a lot for blocking, and maybe that's why the got away from it this year to focus on other stuff... but I would love to see them turn it back into a weapon... and so much can be done off of it in terms of creativity that would fall into Milroe's strengths.

Really wish they'd make a commitment to a strong screen game again.... it sucked under O'Brien... I mean SUCKED, even though he called them a lot. Not as many this season, but they still sucked.... were just wasted downs. It's somehthing that has to be repped a lot for blocking, and maybe that's why the got away from it this year to focus on other stuff... but I would love to see them turn it back into a weapon... and so much can be done off of it in terms of creativity that would fall into Milroe's strengths.
Agree on the screens. When they were having trouble with the pass rush run some screens to the TE, WR, RB etc.... Call plays to get the ball out quicker and to slow the pass rush. There was some adjustments in the 2nd half but it was really bad in the first half.

Back
Top Bottom