| FTBL The Good, The Bad and The Ugly vs. Whisky?

Good - A dominant win in a packed away stadium, all phases contributing, shutting up the crowd in an awesome setting.
Bad - Alllowing long drives. In the stadium, it didn’t feel like they were just 3/14 on third down.
Ugly - The injuries and, as has been noted earlier, many Wisconsin women are built for winter loving.

I’m in the air, just getting away from Madison. What a great experience. A dominant win makes it nice, but the Wisconsin fans - other than the student section, of course - were all class. The Badger band played our fight song in their pregame AND their post-game show. The tradition in the stadium is matched by few others. The “Arch March” is their walk-in, going through the commemorative arch over the pathway that all Wisconsin Civil War soldiers traveled for the training at Camp Randall, I think around 70-80,000, pretty neat.

One of the most striking things was how accessible the stadium is on game day. When they dropped the team off from their buses for the Arch March, the street was open with traffic. They closed it for maybe five minutes, and opened it right back up. It was like BDS game days of 30 years ago when you could park and tailgate on The Quad.

As I’ve noted, Madison is a great town, and I hadn’t been here since I completed a banking school here around 2000. The number of Bama fans was impressive, and of course most hung around through the game’s end, and we were in the majority at many of the post-game bars. Plenty of good local beer options, food was good, made an early evening of it last night to make this morning’s flight.

RTR,

Tim

Good- the offensive line played much better but still need to gel. Pass protection needs to tighten up. The Wisconsin people were very nice. While my son and I were walking around, these guys in a gator stopped and asked us how our stay in Madison was and if we need directions or anything.

Bad- I don’t know if we’re still running vanilla plays but the play calling needs to improve.

Ugly- Camp Randall stadium is old and out dated.
1. Once you get in your seat you better not have to pee. It’s very. Very tight to maneuver.
2. Not enough exits or entrances, however you want to see it.
3. Food quality. No fresh popcorn. No souvenir cups that I found. To me, the food wasn’t good.
4. It sucks getting older. Hard to walk several miles from parking and around campus like I used to.

Had a great time overall and met @It Takes Eleven. I love it when I get the chance to meet a RTB brother.

Good: Lawson, Overton, Robinson, and Campbell. These guys are just monsters on D. Campbell and Lawson get caught sometimes not taking good angles, but when teams try to run up the middle, I think the D really locks down.

Also good: Ryan Williams is a beast. I really hope they start to use him more than just constant deep shots. Some jet sweep action or being utilized in screens would really take him to the next level.

Bad: I don't want to put this as 'bad'. More of a concern. It's way too early in the year for us to complain, but I do have areas of concerns about our offense. Sheridan again just doesn't seem to have a good flow when calling plays. I thought after Jam's TD run, it would have been a perfect time to try to work on the ground game more and run the ball. He followed it up with a Milroe run, and then calling two deep shots. Just a wasted possession. Lot of the offense seems to follow a boom or bust identity. I'd really like for Deboer to experiment and name Shepherd Co-OC and see if the offense could be changed up. It's early, so I think new wrinkles will be added. That said, the offense doesn't seem to be running anything similar to what Deboer and Grubbs ran at Washington. We haven't seen WRs running any mesh routes, and hardly any screens have been a part of the offense. That was one aspect that was exciting about the Deboer hire, because it showed an ability to create mismatches and get the ball to your best players in space. Outside of a Milroe run and deep throws to Ryan Williams, there's been none of that.

Can't label it as bad though. 42 points on the road in Camp Randall is always good.

Ugly: the SEC ABC jingle. It's annoying. As is the SEC playing on ABC. I miss CBS.

Good: Lawson, Overton, Robinson, and Campbell. These guys are just monsters on D. Campbell and Lawson get caught sometimes not taking good angles, but when teams try to run up the middle, I think the D really locks down.

Also good: Ryan Williams is a beast. I really hope they start to use him more than just constant deep shots. Some jet sweep action or being utilized in screens would really take him to the next level.

Bad: I don't want to put this as 'bad'. More of a concern. It's way too early in the year for us to complain, but I do have areas of concerns about our offense. Sheridan again just doesn't seem to have a good flow when calling plays. I thought after Jam's TD run, it would have been a perfect time to try to work on the ground game more and run the ball. He followed it up with a Milroe run, and then calling two deep shots. Just a wasted possession. Lot of the offense seems to follow a boom or bust identity. I'd really like for Deboer to experiment and name Shepherd Co-OC and see if the offense could be changed up. It's early, so I think new wrinkles will be added. That said, the offense doesn't seem to be running anything similar to what Deboer and Grubbs ran at Washington. We haven't seen WRs running any mesh routes, and hardly any screens have been a part of the offense. That was one aspect that was exciting about the Deboer hire, because it showed an ability to create mismatches and get the ball to your best players in space. Outside of a Milroe run and deep throws to Ryan Williams, there's been none of that.

Can't label it as bad though. 42 points on the road in Camp Randall is always good.

Ugly: the SEC ABC jingle. It's annoying. As is the SEC playing on ABC. I miss CBS.
I don't disagree with concern over calls, but I thought the play call to run TE's down each hash (out of a TE/Wing set on the same side) and throw away from the safety's choice was magnificent. Thankfully Milroe recognizes the best option and our TE makes a great catch on a difficult ball for the score.

Good: My better half and I were traveling home from Seattle. There were at least 15 of us wearing Bama gear on the flight which was nice to see. Got to watch the first half on the plane. I had not seen the Fox pregame show before and learned Mark Ingram is a ham, really funny. Great win on the road, OL play, and the D was stout most of the game.

Bad: As mentioned by others, injuries, TD drive, and a lack of turnovers

Ugly: Has anyone else noticed Ol Miss has given up only 6? points thru 3 games?

I don't disagree with concern over calls, but I thought the play call to run TE's down each hash (out of a TE/Wing set on the same side) and throw away from the safety's choice was magnificent. Thankfully Milroe recognizes the best option and our TE makes a great catch on a difficult ball for the score.
I thought that was pretty good play design too.

I'm not overly concerned, but I would like to see some of the similar concepts Deboer ran at Washington.

I thought that was pretty good play design too.

I'm not overly concerned, but I would like to see some of the similar concepts Deboer ran at Washington.
He and Sheridan are holding out until later in the season was my first thought but now I think the OL issue in games 1 & 2 forced them to be more vanilla in the play calls. Fickell said in his press conference that Milroe ran more than he would have thought.

You guys covered it all.

Time to get serious.

Our game with UGA will shine the light on this team. Can this defense stop the run? If not, then we're headed for at least 3 losses. Both USF and Wisky was able to make yards running the ball. Our 3 DL and 2 ILB'ers are on the clock. UGA thought since USCe beat UK bad that throwing out their hat would be enough. Wrong.

OL looked so much better this week.

Coach is playing a lot of people and playing them early.

#10 Otis does nothing with his minutes. His body language says he doesn't even value to minutes. Rewatch the game and check his efforts.

Ugly - The injuries and, as has been noted earlier, many Wisconsin women are built for winter loving.
I would expect this from someone. Not necessarily you...but it needed to be said.

We need a compare and contrast with Michigan softball fans visiting Tuscaloosa a few years ago. If I'm an overweight, overfeed, white kid on junk food...I saw adoption parents in the stands.

Good- seeing the improvement in the OL with all starters back and in their original positions.

Bad- @bamaledge not getting us photos of the Wisconsin ladies. 😉

Ugly- some Wisconsin women. 🙃

LOL, wasn't it the Wisconsin ladies lacrosse team that got in hot water several years back for some topless photos in their locker room that leaked out and went viral?

Back
Top Bottom