| FTBL The Good, The Bad and The Oh So Ugly vs. UofSC

I have not gone and looked up stats but I bet all of them had lower completion percentage when under pressure. Hey I may be wrong but lets say most QB's (99%) will be less effective when under pressure.
There was just some quarterbacks that our defense didn’t affect much… forgot Trevor Lawrence..

You do realize that the 4-2-5 is nickel, right?
That’s what I’ve been saying.
The problem ( as I see it) is piss poor tackling & the D line getting out of position & creating running lanes - Wommack has stated that he wants the line to get up field & make plays. This differs from Saban’s desire for the line to remain gap-sound.
**maybe we need to go basic & practice tackling.

That’s what I’ve been saying.
The problem ( as I see it) is piss poor tackling & the D line getting out of position & creating running lanes - Wommack has stated that he wants the line to get up field & make plays. This differs from Saban’s desire for the line to remain gap-sound.
**maybe we need to go basic & practice tackling.

And at times when the DL does their job, the LB’s fail at theirs. I firmly believe it isn’t a scheme issue. I don’t even think it’s a personnel issue. I think its mostly an execution and coaching issue(s).

And at times when the DL does their job, the LB’s fail at theirs. I firmly believe it isn’t a scheme issue. I don’t even think it’s a personnel issue. I think its mostly an execution and coaching issue(s).

How are these two different? Seriously. Wommack might be calling the most brilliant formations for each play but these players are pretty much whiffing. And they are not good tacklers. They don't wrap up well. They tackle high. They take poor angles. It's like they don't want to be there.

Why? It's a genuine question.

How are these two different? Seriously. Wommack might be calling the most brilliant formations for each play but these players are pretty much whiffing. And they are not good tacklers. They don't wrap up well. They tackle high. They take poor angles. It's like they don't want to be there.

There's multiple ways to answer, but think of it like this. A good play call is made, but LB blows his assignment and takes the wrong gap on a run play and instead of a no yardage stop, the RB picks up 8 yards. That's on execution. The coaching side of it can fall under the umbrella of poor tackling and such, especially when it is a unit wide issue. But they've also been slow to adjust at times. Even the players admitted (kinda unfortunately, I might add) that they were slow getting calls in against Vandy. I don't think (based on what I've seen and some of what I've heard) that the defensive staff has gone into every game as prepared as they needed to be as well.

There's multiple ways to answer, but think of it like this. A good play call is made, but LB blows his assignment and takes the wrong gap on a run play and instead of a no yardage stop, the RB picks up 8 yards. That's on execution. The coaching side of it can fall under the umbrella of poor tackling and such, especially when it is a unit wide issue. But they've also been slow to adjust at times. Even the players admitted (kinda unfortunately, I might add) that they were slow getting calls in against Vandy. I don't think (based on what I've seen and some of what I've heard) that the defensive staff has gone into every game as prepared as they needed to be as well.

I see that to a degree but I always had Coaching broken into two different categories:

1st. Game Plan / Scheme / Mid Game Play calling or adjustments

2nd. Execution => Teaching Scheme, practicing Scheme PLUS teaching Fundamentals, practicing Fundamentals.

You can't have the 1st w/o the 2nd, vice versa. I am seeing that Defensively, we are not teaching & practicing fundamentals. And that's REALLY odd to me with such a young defense. NOW is the time master the fundamentals because the fundamentals are muscle memory during the game. Fundamentals, good or bad, will always reveal in muscle memory. Right now, its nominal to bad muscle memory.

Poor fundamentals leads to poor execution, thus bad coaching. Perhaps, Wommack & D coaches has been too focused on teaching the new scheme that guys have forgot basic defense fundamentals. This seems to fit since we have so many young guys. I dunno, spaghetti against the wall. I'll be damned if I knew what was sticking. Not that it matters either.

I see that to a degree but I always had Coaching broken into two different categories:

1st.
Game Plan / Scheme / Mid Game Play calling or adjustments

2nd. Execution => Teaching Scheme, practicing Scheme PLUS teaching Fundamentals, practicing Fundamentals.

You can't have the 1st w/o the 2nd, vice versa. I am seeing that Defensively, we are not teaching & practicing fundamentals. And that's REALLY odd to me with such a young defense. NOW is the time master the fundamentals because the fundamentals are muscle memory during the game. Fundamentals, good or bad, will always reveal in muscle memory. Right now, its nominal to bad muscle memory.

Poor fundamentals leads to poor execution, thus bad coaching. Perhaps, Wommack & D coaches has been too focused on teaching the new scheme that guys have forgot basic defense fundamentals. This seems to fit since we have so many young guys. I dunno, spaghetti against the wall. I'll be damned if I knew what was sticking. Not that it matters either.

Just depends on how you view it then. I view as you can have really good coaching and still have poor execution... you can have really poor coaching and good execution (more rare combo IMO). I think some of the things Bryce did with the offense fell under good execution, but poor coaching. Poor by Bama standards anyway.

FWIW he was a very good coach at South Alabama

Back
Top Bottom