| FTBL The Good, The Bad and The Ugly vs the Pork Chops

The team scored 35 points after Bryce left the game. That's awfully good.

The OL has progressively gotten better. Pass Pro was really good. The run blocking sprung Gibbs on those long runs. They are getting there. They played physically up front.

The CB coverage has improved. The D gave up some points but an onside kick and a bad snap gave Arkansas some of those points.

For those who had Bama -17, that last tackle late in the game by Arnold made you money. Without that play Arkansas was going to get a backdoor cover.

I didn't read through all 3 pages, but Penalties chapped my ass. Another thing. Saban always preaches the mental game. Knowing what needs to be done in a situation. On the botched punt, I immediately wondered why the punter didn't kick or run the ball out of the back of the endzone and take a safety? 2 points and kicking off to make them drive the distance would have been a lot better. Those are the types of things "smart" players do.

That was a bad play....but the personal foul by #10 .... hitting a standing player in back...after play was dead....what a stupid shit thing to do....and #31 did same in Texas game...

There is an issue there...

It's arrogance. I'm telling you, NIL is fueling so much that some refuse to acknowledgeor think is possible. Guys gotta show their value and tough guy attitude when they know the cameras are rolling.

It's arrogance. I'm telling you, NIL is fueling so much that some refuse to acknowledgeor think is possible. Guys gotta show their value and tough guy attitude when they know the cameras are rolling.
Thats true. But these 2 players aren't thugs....they have high player IQ...top quality players....skilled...
But those 2 hits....were game changers...or...could have been...
Just like turnovers... for absolutely no reason...

I am still scratching my head on that....
At Nicks PC....i wish someone would have askedhim about that

I agree but that was such and unbelievably bad snap it had to catch the punter by surprise.

If he tries to do anything besides what he did it’s very likely everyone is roasting him for trying to do to much. In that moment when the ball was snapped diagonally away from him he did the only thing he could
But in these type scenarios.......you run through your mind, "what do I do", if this happens. I liken it to my old baseball coach talking about keeping your head in the game. With every at bat what do you do if the ball is hit to you and how will you react? You play the scenarios over in your head and play accordingly. As a punter, only a few scenarios. I get the snap and punt it, or if it is a bad snap, kick it out of the back of the endzone. Possibly another option or two depending on high/low snap vs the ricochet snap.....but either way. Think ahead and prepare accordingly. Know your surroundings and where you're at on the field, how close the game is, etc.

But in these type scenarios.......you run through your mind, "what do I do", if this happens. I liken it to my old baseball coach talking about keeping your head in the game. With every at bat what do you do if the ball is hit to you and how will you react? You play the scenarios over in your head and play accordingly. As a punter, only a few scenarios. I get the snap and punt it, or if it is a bad snap, kick it out of the back of the endzone. Possibly another option or two depending on high/low snap vs the ricochet snap.....but either way. Think ahead and prepare accordingly. Know your surroundings and where you're at on the field, how close the game is, etc.
What are the possible outcomes with each option?

Fall on the ball: opponent gets the ball where it’s recovered. Defense has a chance.
Pick up the ball and try to make a play: punt gets blocked resulting in a safety, TD or recovery on field. Increased chance of injury.
Try to kick the ball through the end zone: Safety and defense gets the ball again with momentum. It’s also a penalty on the kicker. Is it declined or enforced on the ensuing kick?

The safest thing is to fall on the ball and wish the defense luck.

Thats true. But these 2 players aren't thugs....they have high player IQ...top quality players....skilled...
But those 2 hits....were game changers...or...could have been...
Just like turnovers... for absolutely no reason...

I am still scratching my head on that....
At Nicks PC....i wish someone would have askedhim about that

I never said they were bad guys. I did not mean that about either. Both have been great ambassadors of our program, stayed out of trouble, and have great producers for our team. I made a comment about Henry running around the field on Saturday WAY more salty and edgy than I had ever seen him before. Jawing, bouncing, hovering, and the infamous push in our little circle. That's not normal Henry, and we all know it wasn't normal William Anderson against Texas. All I know is I hear "have the audacity to step on the field with me" amongst other quotes after at SEC Media Days being more reserved (it'll be handled when we play) like we expect from him, and more and more commercials and apparel deals. Something has changed the mindset of once quiet and reliable players. What could it be?

It blows my mind too that a D-1 scholarship full ride football player that does one thing doesn't know how to react to a bad scenario. I mean, one bad thing can go wrong as a punter (mishandle a snap/bad snap), so what do I do in the shadow of my own goal? It puzzles me just like the Atlanta Falcons a couple years back not knowing the rules of an onside kick and Arthur Blank making excuses for them about it. Freaking pro athletes on a hands team for one sole reason, and don't know the rules.

It blows my mind too that a D-1 scholarship full ride football player that does one thing doesn't know how to react to a bad scenario. I mean, one bad thing can go wrong as a punter (mishandle a snap/bad snap), so what do I do in the shadow of my own goal? It puzzles me just like the Atlanta Falcons a couple years back not knowing the rules of an onside kick and Arthur Blank making excuses for them about it. Freaking pro athletes on a hands team for one sole reason, and don't know the rules.
Kinda give punter a "small" break...

He is from Australia....and who knows how much or little heknows about American football?

It is a complicated game....

Kinda give punter a "small" break...

He is from Australia....and who knows how much or little heknows about American football?

It is a complicated game....

That's fine. I'm not mad because it didn't cost us the game and he's learning. Hopefully he learns and "doesn't waste a failure" like coach preaches. I personally feel he has been punting great, so I'm very happy with him back there.

An ugly stat to me: Final 3 quarters passing 4-11 for 65 yards.

Going to have to find a passing game with Milroe or Simpson and quick. I don’t think we can sustain a performance with 3 rushes for over 70 yards each game. Those 3 rushing plays were the difference in the game.
👆
Furthermore, much has been said about how decent our defense was in the 1st, 2nd, and 4th quarters. But let's admit it, the Ark passing attack was as bad as we have faced so far this season. They ran the ball remarkably well considering how harmless they were through the air. I kept thinking the whole time after Young left the game that both defenses needed to commit to stopping all runs and dare each QB to connect downfield. If I was our future opposing DCs, I'd do everything I could to force an inexperienced Milroe and our smallish, inexperienced WRs to beat me through the air.

Back
Top Bottom