| FTBL The Good, The Bad and The Ugly vs. TameCats

BAD: Judging decisions from players without taking into context what's going on...they are learning. People will do it with their children, but good fucking lord. Do it with a player on a football field?

What you are calling ignorance is a question. What did he see?

That's the point, Casey. We don't know what he was seeing. We're are not catching that punt.

There is not a way to judge what was going on there. We have not seen the video other than the game, live action.

It's a feeling. My gut instinct. Did he read something? Yes. How else do you explain the distraction.

Quit this "arm chair QB shit." We don't know. Let's wait 'til some film comes out.

He called for a fucking fair catch!!!!!!!! How arm chair is it of me to be upset he called a fair catch and dropped it???? He clearly saw enough to know he wasn't returning it. Mistakes will be made, but this is far from the first! That's not arm chair,that's factual. If there is anyone on this forum that has given players the benefit of the doubt it has been me. Breaking the law I draw the line, but on the field I give every guy a lot of room to grow and improve. I've already said I'm not happy with his approach to this season. Last year he got beat deep a good bit and hit with pass interference a ton. Add that to how Terrion Arnold has taken his game to the next level , shows to be more of a vocal leader, and Kool-Aid has worn thin on me.

Because, we don't know what he's thinking. I'm pointing to something here and you don't get it.

No, that's an excuse. You gonna say that for any quarterback that throws an interception, any receiver that drops a pass, or any lineman that misses a block? Nothing to get, he dropped a fair catch and has done it all year long.

Good: Milroe getting better and better. His could be one of the best stories in college football history. The team did not lose their intensity after the win over LSU. The Jekyll and Hyde may be gone

Bad: Giving up that huge run late in the game due to poor tackling

Ugly: Officiating Officiating Officiating. The real score was Alabama 49 Kentucky 0. The keystone refs awarded Kentucky 3 TDs

Entering this game, Kool Aid has 11 punt returns for 58 yards. And that’s counting a 33 yard return. He’d also lost one muffed punt at South Florida. Can’t remember others he’s lost but he’s bobbled some as well. He’s let more than 11 go and roll for positive yards for the kicking team to the tune of more than his 58 return yards.

In the 5 games prior to UK, he had 4 punt returns for -1 yard, again not counting the ones he didn’t field and the negative yards those cost us.

There are 11 SEC teams in the top 50 for average punt return yards per return, we are not one of them. I can’t find a list that goes lower than 50, so I don’t know our rank, but we the 50th team has an average of 9.8 yards per punt return.

All that to say, we’d be better off fair catching punts this year than having Kool Aid back there doing his thing. Especially now that he muffed and lost another one today.

I don’t attest to know what he saw today that caused him to whiff on that punt, maybe there was a naked shorty on the jumbo tron or an orb in the sky, but he’s had the yips since the South Florida muff.

We are 105th in the nation when it comes to punt returns. Some, I would say we’re directionally kicked, others he misjudged. I don’t know what’s going on in Koolaid’s head or what he is thinking. I still believe that muff back in the USF game is still in his head.
I will say this @TerryP and @BamaFan334 , as a former coach, I would treat Koolaid like a coach sometime does with a struggling QB. Give him a couple of punts over on the sideline to get a different view as to what’s going on. Terry, you mentioned what he is “seeing”, Casey, you call “bullshit!” I’m wondering if it is something he “isn’t seeing!” I think he may need contacts! Maybe he can’t truly see the ball or it’s a fuzzy blur. Just spitballing!!

We are 105th in the nation when it comes to punt returns. Some, I would say we’re directionally kicked, others he misjudged. I don’t know what’s going on in Koolaid’s head or what he is thinking. I still believe that muff back in the USF game is still in his head.
I will say this @TerryP and @BamaFan334 , as a former coach, I would treat Koolaid like a coach sometime does with a struggling QB. Give him a couple of punts over on the sideline to get a different view as to what’s going on. Terry, you mentioned what he is “seeing”, Casey, you call “bullshit!” I’m wondering if it is something he “isn’t seeing!” I think he may need contacts! Maybe he can’t truly see the ball or it’s a fuzzy blur. Just spitballing!!
I don't get what he's watching. As people make fun of my football knowledge. :devilish:

All I'm saying is there' something we don't know.

Confidence or lack of creates a very interesting dynamic in our heads. When I played (in high school only) I was the flanker/slot back and punt returner. There were times where I caught everything thrown my way and had no issues with punts. Throw in one drop/bobble and then all of a sudden doubt enters and you start pressing. You just have to work through it and regain your confidence so the anxiety goes away.

With Kool-Aid I am as frustrated as anyone but we saw enough last year to know he can be a weapon. Since CNS keeps putting him out there even after todays muff it tells me that in practice he is likely not having issues. If he was I do not think CNS would have him back there. He can be a weapon but he needs to have some success to regains his confidence. After the muff I believe he had two fair catches and one long return. You never know if that return could flip the switch so he gets his confidence back. I sure hope so,

Good- Win and SEC West champs.

Bad- Still saw the LT wiff on a few blocks. He is getting better but this was not his best game but it was not as bad as his early games

Ugly- Some of the officiating calls and Jordan Rodgers. I can tolerate him but never been a huge fan of his.

Last edited:

Could explain why he hasn't made a play on a ball while in coverage all year.

I said he might need glasses in the game thread 3 weeks ago. And I was serious, even though I posted this photo. I’ve even noticed he has missed his sheath when trying to store his sword after an incomplete pass a few times.

93E67A19-BA77-45FD-A6C3-97104001293E.gif

Good: On the fumble that UK recovered. If the positions are reversed and that's ruled Bama's way? It's not overturned.

Bad: ESPN had very cheap camera coverage on this game. Did you notice no overhead cams on replay's? No matter how you slice it if there are more camera angles for review in one game versus another? The games are not being officiated fairly.

UGLY!!: Matt Barrie is a DUMBASS. (But that's what I get for turning the volume back up.)

I know I’m probably in the minority but I still say we’re going to miss CBS … even if you hate Nessler and Danielson. Personally, I’ve never had a problem with their guys in the booth calling the games. Because they’re not spread thin covering 8 million other games, the games they cover look so much more professional. I’m definitely going to miss CBS.

What you are calling ignorance is a question. What did he see?

That's the point, Casey. We don't know what he was seeing. We're are not catching that punt.

There is not a way to judge what was going on there. We have not seen the video other than the game, live action.

It's a feeling. My gut instinct. Did he read something? Yes. How else do you explain the distraction.
I’m trying to follow what you’re saying about “what he’s seeing” but I’m lost. If you’re talking specifically about the muffed punt yesterday then sure he could have been distracted by something we’re not seeing … but they practice while having brooms and tube pads swatted around them as they field punts … and also while having players running full speed at them too. They also practice with the punters putting different types of “spin” on the ball. Anyway, if this was a one off problem we wouldn’t be talking about this very much. But it’s not a one off problem. Something has changed with him … he doesn’t feel comfortable fielding punts this year. It’s in his head and that’s why he’s letting so many of them hit the ground and roll. You can see the same type thing happen occasionally in high school and college baseball with some outfielders who suddenly can’t seem to judge fly balls. Something gets in their head and causes them to lose confidence in their abilities. They start worrying about misjudging the location or dropping the ball or something else … but it’s something in their head that’s distracting them … not something they’re “seeing”. A lack of confidence “distraction” is far more likely than any external distraction. Again, I say that because this isn’t a one off issue with him. Bottom line … he’s been letting way, way, way too many punts hit the ground this season for it to be an external ie “seeing something” issue. We know he’s an elite punt returner as evidenced by what he accomplished last season. This season he’s one of the worst returners in the power five conferences. To me that makes it clear the problem’s in his head.

And by the way, aren’t fan boards a place for armchair critiques? I mean you’re right that none of us knows everything that’s going on. However, if fans on fan boards can only comment when they do know everything that’s happened, you’d have maybe two comments posted a week other than those purely informational posts ie game time start, recruit commits, injured player report etc.

Anyway, I love this site more than any of the others because you guys allow and even encourage people to post their armchair opinions. On most Bama sites that's just not the case. With them you have to wear Crimson Goggles in order to post comments. So, please by all means keep up the good work!

To me that makes it clear the problem’s in his head.
You are basically saying the same thing I am; just phrased differently. I should have put "seeing" in parenthesis, I guess. Feeling could have worked just as well in retrospect.

When a difficult decision comes up in life you've heard people ask "how are you looking at this?" In other words, what are you thinking? What are you feeling? Seeing.

I mentioned the All-22 view earlier. A few guys that attended the game have suggested there was kick catch interference on the play with the UK gunner. I can't tell from the video I've seen.

Hence, there's something we're not seeing...something he's seeing (or not seeing as implied earlier.)

Good: Clinched the West. Solid opening drive, set the tempo. Line looking much better with play improvement along with different pass blocking schemes. Milroe's development has been something to watch. Sure glad the coaching staff doesn't listen to a bunch of dumbass "Cyber Coaches" (Moi included). :p

Bad: Went into a semi funk for a little bit in the 2nd half.

Ugly: UK fumble on the goal line that wasn't reviewed.

Back
Top Bottom