| FTBL The Good, The Bad and The Ugly vs. Mizzou

Good-SHUTOUT!!! Run defense was much better today, Turnovers, run game looked better, ILB's played extremely well today, no busted coverages, get a bye week next week.

Bad- missed throws and miscommunication by Milroe and his receivers at times. Run game being too inconsistent early in the game.

Ugly- Eli drinkiwitz bucky beaver teeth.

Good- Win and there was improvement in all phases of the game. #22's running especially on his TD. We need to get that kid the ball more.

Bad- still crazy penalties at bad times. It was better but it led to the struggles in the first half. The offense seemed to play tight until they scored a TD following the interception return in the first half.

Ugly- run blocking for 2/3's of the game. This has to improve. Another ugly is on one of Milroes scrambles, #2 was wide open down the field and if Milroe sees him it is a touchdown. If Milroe gets in a rhythm he can play lights out but if you get him out of sync by speeding him up he struggles. I know you can say that about all QB's it just seems to be more so with Milroe.

When it is all said and done this was a much better outcome than I expected and a step in the right direction.

Good: Defense has good pursuit all game. Physical upfront and a much more aggressive when blitzing.

Also good: Jam Miller and Haynes. Once they got more carries and could develop a rhythm, they were more physical and began to wear out Mizzou.

Bad: Play calling on offense is frustrating as hell at time. But then again, how much is it Milroe just not executing?

Ugly: Refs suck.

Good: That was the most physical that Bama has played on both sides since the first half of the UGA game. [full disclosure, DeBoer said this same thing after the game, but I had already made a note of it, so I'm sticking with it]

Deferring and letting the defense start off the game. They did their part with 3 straight 3 and outs. Hope DeBoer sticks with that strategy going forward when Bama wins the toss.

Speaking of 3 and outs… The Bama defense forced 6 of them overall and held Mizzou to 3-13 on 3rd downs in the game.

3 interceptions for the defense. We said before the season, one of the positives of this scheme was the “eyes on the QB” coverage style, which should result in a good amount of passes defended and interceptions. We’ve definitely seen that at times.

Bray Hubbard stepped up and played as well as could be expected at safety other than some plays here and there like reacting slowly to the QB scramble in early 3rd to extend a Mizzou drive. But then a few plays later he gets the interception. The more reps he gets, the more things will slow down for him which is promising.

Bama scoring a TD after forcing the turnover late in the 1st half was huge. Might not sound like a big deal, but Bama’s offense hasn’t cashed in many of those free possessions lately. Tide got 14 points off of them today.

Bama's Yards Per Carry was 7.3, really need that to continue.

Tyler Booker got after it some today and usually did his part at least in the run game. Formby did some good things too.

Kendrick Law is really important to this offense. IMO, he still needs more touches, but watching him block his ass off is almost fulfilling enough. I ain't gonna blame him for that flag today, that was bullshit.

Alabama had 12 offensive plays over 20 yards. Mizzou had 0 (they had 1 rush right at 20 yards in garbage time though).

Tide got to play a LOT of guys, always nice in an SEC game.

Bad: Defense lost containment on Cook early a few times before he checked out, but that’s being a little picky based on many of the issues they’ve had this season.

The offensive line is still struggling, especially to open holes inside and a half step slow often times on outside runs. The tackles are also a tick slow in pass sets. Proctor has improved since last year, but isn’t where he needs to be yet. Things got better as the game wore on, but need to see it from the jump.

Probably time to take Henderson off the KO return team (which means he'll probably return one for a TD against LSU).

The 3 camera angles from orbit on that early review on the Ryan Williams “trap catch”. What kinda Jefferson Pilot fuckery was that?

The personal foul penalty on the delay of game play. Damion Square (on CTSN) said he couldn’t hear the whistle on the sidelines. That was bad, but unfortunately for the officials, not their worst moment today... which brings us to UGLY...

Ugly: Losing Cole Adams again is gonna suck. He’s so dependable in the return game, not to mention a steady target in the pass game. Kid has had some tough injury luck.

Bama's offense on 3rd down was 0-7 at one point. That slant to #2 early in the 4th was their first conversion of the day (Haynes took it to the house on the next play).

The average 3rd down distance to go for Bama's offense was 9.4 yards. This has been an issue all season and a big reason why the offense stalls out on so many drives. Gotta get that fixed.

Officials have a difficult job, I think people lose sight of that sometimes. But they don’t help themselves with invited scrutiny thanks to stupid shit like the personal foul call on Law (on the punt). That wasn’t even borderline. Embarrassing.

Still too many (legitimate) penalties though...

Notes: You can see Milroe doesn’t have his usual quickness and explosiveness when running. FWIW, eyes tell no lies when it comes to the narrative that is out there. Eyes will also tell you he was favoring a leg today, if you need another clue.

I won't go as far as saying Alabama is fixed, but today was a very positive development. Mizzou was down a couple of key offensive players, but they are still a decent SEC team and Bama controlled the game and shut them out. The run game started clicking as the game wore on and the defense took another step in the right direction for the 3rd week in a row. There's lot to feel good about heading into the bye (and Baton Rouge) compared to what I thought I may be feeling like right now.

Just an odd stat thingy: Both teams ran 63 total plays. Mizzou's TOP was 30:01, Bama's was 29:59.

Brandon. Got it all

Good. Crowd was great and better than expected. Few empty seats
Seein shaun Alexander again. 13 kids he has. Big cheer from crowd

Bad. The lull. Mid first to half

Ugly. The females dress in front of us...yicks. Wish i had a picture

And all the players on ground after a positive play. N get up n run off. Bullshit

And a 3:30 commercial after each. Sorry for those watching on tv

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom