| MBB/WBB đźŹ€ Tennessee vs Alabama: No. 14/13 Alabama Falls to No. 4/4 Tennessee, 81-74

There's no way to say what's going to happen, although ...

I'll proffer this thought.

DeBoer took over a 4-8 team at UW and over the next two seasons went 25-3. Do you think Saban could have done better than DeBoer?
Coach Saban took over a 6-7 record and SEC record 2-6. His first record was 7-6 and SEC was 4-4. We all know what did happen after the 2007 season.

There's no way to say what's going to happen, although ...

I'll proffer this thought.

DeBoer took over a 4-8 team at UW and over the next two seasons went 25-3. Do you think Saban could have done better than DeBoer?
Do I think Saban could have done better than DeBoer? You must either be kidding or you just like stirring the discussion pot. Of course, I think the GOAT could do better than DeBoer … and in a whole lot of areas in addition to or other than the record. I must say for you to use a three year record like that as a challenge is a nonstarter. I’d give the same assessment of Saban over Kirby even though Kirby has just recently won back to back NC’s, 29 games in a row and something like 46 of 48 … and in the SEC. To turn your logic back on you … based upon his 25-3 record at Washington, do you think DeBoer will do as well or better than Saban? You probably weren’t around when Coach Bryant retired but many of us knew there wasn’t anyone out there who would match him anytime soon. Until Saban, only Stallings provided hope but that was short lived. The fact Bama has had two of the GOAT’s means they can certainly have a third. In fact, I think they will because our fans demand nothing less. No program has had four coaches win multiple NC’s and I’ve posted my beliefs on why that is many times on this site. However, the chances the next GOAT will be the first one to come in the door following Saban are astronomical. So, if you’re offering a bet I’ll cover whatever you’ll put up. It would be the sweetest money I’d ever lose if DeBoers became number three but snowballs in hell have similar odds and I’d bet against them every chance I got.

Do I think Saban could have done better than DeBoer? You must either be kidding or you just like stirring the discussion pot. Of course, I think the GOAT could do better than DeBoer … and in a whole lot of areas in addition to or other than the record.
No. I'm not stirring the pot. Not in the least.

Read over that question one more time. He took a 4-8 team, and in the next two years went 25-3 with last years title run. No. I don't believe Saban could have done better.

Other areas in addition to what he did at UW? You've lost me here. What do you mean?
To turn your logic back on you … based upon his 25-3 record at Washington, do you think DeBoer will do as well or better than Saban?
There is no way to tell. I haven't seen a smoother transition in my lifetime.

I haven't seen a school make a head coaching hire and it's a guy who has his resume.

My opinion isn't solely based on what he did at Washington. Far from it, in fact.

Do as well, or better, than Saban? Dude. It's not a fair question. Even though DeBoer is following Saban we can't compare one to the other. The playoffs change the dynamic. Going to nine games changes the dynamic. Heck, half of his titles came in a period we can almost call "archaic."

Can Bama win SEC titles at the same clip? I saw it under Bryant, I saw it under Saban, should I just assume I won't see it under DeBoer?
No program has had four coaches win multiple NC’s and I’ve posted my beliefs on why that is many times on this site.
What I find interesting is the very things that allowed this to happen aren't being afforded to DeBoer. Who, coincidently, comes in with resumes equal or above the four coaches you've mentioned.

He does have three national titles. You can point to it being NAIA and I'll ask, "so?" It's still football. It's not a situation where one team has overwhelmingly better talent. (The games he lost were to eventual national champions. Familiar, eh?)

I'll stand on what I'm learning and what I'm seeing. He's better than credited.***

*** Before he came to Alabama he was considered one of the best coaches in college football. He's still considered in that rarified air: now at Bama.

No. I'm not stirring the pot. Not in the least.

Read over that question one more time. He took a 4-8 team, and in the next two years went 25-3 with last years title run. No. I don't believe Saban could have done better.

Other areas in addition to what he did at UW? You've lost me here. What do you mean?

There is no way to tell. I haven't seen a smoother transition in my lifetime.

I haven't seen a school make a head coaching hire and it's a guy who has his resume.

My opinion isn't solely based on what he did at Washington. Far from it, in fact.

Do as well, or better, than Saban? Dude. It's not a fair question. Even though DeBoer is following Saban we can't compare one to the other. The playoffs change the dynamic. Going to nine games changes the dynamic. Heck, half of his titles came in a period we can almost call "archaic."

Can Bama win SEC titles at the same clip? I saw it under Bryant, I saw it under Saban, should I just assume I won't see it under DeBoer?

What I find interesting is the very things that allowed this to happen aren't being afforded to DeBoer. Who, coincidently, comes in with resumes equal or above the four coaches you've mentioned.

He does have three national titles. You can point to it being NAIA and I'll ask, "so?" It's still football. It's not a situation where one team has overwhelmingly better talent. (The games he lost were to eventual national champions. Familiar, eh?)

I'll stand on what I'm learning and what I'm seeing. He's better than credited.***

*** Before he came to Alabama he was considered one of the best coaches in college football. He's still considered in that rarified air: now at Bama.
Unfortunately, I don’t have much time to debate this with because of troubles at work and some other issues I’m facing. So, I can only spend a few minutes checking my favorite online sites for news and sports at the moment. Anyway? here goes … I obviously think more about Saban’s records already in the books and less about DeBoer’s future ones than you. My comments were not about him as an individual coach but about the odds he will match or supplant Saban’s status as the GOAT. I absolutely think he was a great hire and as good a hire as Bama could have reasonably expected. On top of that I hope SO I’m wrong and if so I will gladly admit it. That being said, if you can’t admit the likelihood is extremely remote that Bama hired their 3rd GOAT immediately following the reigning Goat’s retirement then let’s put a wager on it! Oh … I will also explain briefly the things other than his record comment. I think Saban was uniquely capable to come into the pressure cooker that is Bama and not only handle it so well so quickly but to also gain control of it … as much as is possible that is. And he came into a far greater disaster than a 4 win Washington team. Washington fans like the fans of the vast majority of college teams accept ups and downs. If there are too many downs they’ll change coaches. It’s not national news and neither will be their search for a replacement. It is with Bama and as its coach you quickly learn every team you play has the game circled on their calendar. Every player you recruit hears all the reasons why you shouldn’t sign with Bama (This was more an issue of course pre-NIL and the TP). Every fan of a certain age immediately judges you against Bear Bryant … and now against Saban. I could go on but you know what I’m saying. And in my opinion Bama has the only college football program with a fan base who have demanded NC’s since the 1920’s. That’s a ton of pressure on a coach … even very good coaches. And we will also have to disagree on the difficulty in winning NC’s in Division I vs NAIA. To me they’re barely in the same stratosphere. If all winning NC’s boiled down to was your teams players versus their competition Saban would have won 13 NC’s as it is it’s absolutely amazing he won 6!. So, based on the odds facing the man replacing Saban (whoever that man was to be … Sark, Lane, DeBoer, et al) I would bet the house Bama didn’t hire their 3rd GOAT. Are you saying you would based on everything you’re hearing and everything you’ve seen from other transitions, etc? Of course you’re not … are you?

Back
Top Bottom