| MBB/WBB šŸ€ šŸ†: SWEET 16! Alabama Advances to Second Consecutive NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 with 72-61 Win over No. 12 Grand Canyon

The Crimson Tide and Lopes will tip off inside the Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena

SPOKANE, Wash.
ā€“ The No. 4 seed Alabama men's basketball team has turned its full focus toward Sunday's NCAA Tournament second round matchup against No. 12 seed Grand Canyon. The Crimson Tide spent most of Saturday afternoon making final preparations and meeting with local and national media prior to the contest, which will tip off at 6:10 p.m. CT (4:10 p.m. PT) on TBS.

Alabama advanced to Sunday's contest thanks toa 109-96 victory over 13-seed College of Charleston Friday night. It marked a NCAA Tournament school scoring record for the Crimson Tide, which entered this year's tournament leading the nation in scoring offense.

Grand Canyon enters the second round with a 30-4 overall mark and finished 17-3 in the WAC on its way to sweeping the regular season and tournament championships. The Lopes advanced to the second round via a 75-66 victory No. 5 seed St. Mary's.

All due respect. But heā€™s been here 5 years!
200w.gif

Paraphrasing Nate Oats from his interview with Chris Stewart tonight on Hey Coach...

Sweet Sixteens are great and should be celebrated, but for Bama Basketball to get to the level we want it to be at, we really need to get a Final Four run...

Oats isn't afraid to raise the bar and it's pretty remarkable that right now, when you look around at the SEC basketball landscape, the bar is sitting on Sweet 16's for Alabama...

Paraphrasing Nate Oats from his interview with Chris Stewart tonight on Hey Coach...

Sweet Sixteens are great and should be celebrated, but for Bama Basketball to get to the level we want it to be at, we really need to get a Final Four run...

Oats isn't afraid to raise the bar and it's pretty remarkable that right now, when you look around at the SEC basketball landscape, the bar is sitting on Sweet 16's for Alabama...
Yep needs to go beyond that to take Bama basketball to a level beyond. Wimp was pretty good at winning SEC tournaments and getting to the sweet 16 as I recall.

Oats is doing great no doubt and has brought respectability back to Bama basketball. If he can run it to elite 8 for a stretch he will have indeed elevated the standard for Bama Basketball.

Yep needs to go beyond that to take Bama basketball to a level beyond. Wimp was pretty good at winning SEC tournaments and getting to the sweet 16 as I recall.

Oats is doing great no doubt and has brought respectability back to Bama basketball. If he can run it to elite 8 for a stretch he will have indeed elevated the standard for Bama Basketball.

FWIW, Wimp had 5 Sweet Sixteen appearances in 12 years (made the tournament 10 of the 12 years). He just never could get past that 3rd game. Gottfried took a team that was .500 in the SEC (in '04) to the Elite 8, for Bama's only appearance there.

FWIW, Wimp had 5 Sweet Sixteen appearances in 12 years (made the tournament 10 of the 12 years). He just never could get past that 3rd game. Gottfried took a team that was .500 in the SEC (in '04) to the Elite 8, for Bama's only appearance there.
He started coaching back in the days of the 24/24 seedings ... not even the same field now. I'd bet the D1 teams in the '80's number in the 150's as compared to the 325+ now.

What I am looking for is sustatined success like Wimp but maybe making it to the elite 8 more consistently. Kind of a Gonzaga or Duke kind of success. Oats still needs to get the D to play more consistently to do that. He has a really good D one year and medicre the next. He has to figre that out and if he does I think he can elevate the program big time.

Very non-interesting Sweet 16 club this year, I only say tongue in cheek. All 4 1-seeds, all 4 2-seeds, 2 3-seeds, and 1 4-seed. So 11 of the teams that were seeded to be this far made it. Impressive seeding this year.

I looked back at the 3 most recent years.

In 2023:
1 seeds - 2
2 seeds - 2
3 seeds - 3
4 seeds - 2

In 2022:
1 seeds - 3
2 seeds - 2
3 seeds - 2
4 seeds - 3

In 2021:
1 seeds - 3