| MBB/WBB 🏀 Tennessee vs Alabama: No. 14/13 Alabama Falls to No. 4/4 Tennessee, 81-74

The Volunteers used a 14-4 second half run to take the lead for good

TUSCALOOSA, Ala.
– The No. 14/13 Alabama men's basketball team fell to No. 4/4 Tennessee, 81-74, Saturday night inside Coleman Coliseum. The Crimson Tide held a seven-point lead midway through the second half, however, the Volunteers would use a 14-4 run to regain the lead and go on to the road win.

Alabama (20-9, 12-4 SEC) used a 29-12 run that spanned halftime that turned a 39-29 UA deficit into a 58-51 lead with 13:42 remaining. However, Tennessee's Jonas Aidoo would score six points during the game-changing run that gave the Vols a 65-62 lead with just under six minutes remaining. The Tide cut the lead to one point, 70-69, at the 2:48 mark but would not be able to regain the lead down the stretch.
UA's Mark Sears led all scoring with 22 points to go along with a team-best six assists. Aaron Estrada collected 16 points and eight boards, with Nick Pringle chipping in with 13 and a team-high nine rebounds.

Tennessee (23-6, 13-3 SEC) was led by Zakai Zeigler's 18 points, while Josiah-Jordan James had a double-double with 11 points and 13 rebounds.

Head Coach Nate Oats Postgame Comments​

"It was not the outcome that we were looking for. I have to thank the fans for the amazing atmosphere today. It was great to have College GameDay here to show where our program is going and what we are doing over here. We would've loved to have the regular season SEC Championship. But it is out of our hands now, we still get a shot at it, but we are fighting for a share of it now.

It was disappointing. They (Tennessee) are a tough veteran team. They cut it down to seven midway through the second half when (Dalton) Knecht was in foul trouble, and it carried down and other guys stepped up and made big shots. We did a fairly good job on Knecht, but the other guys stepped up and had some big nights.

We have to get our guys back together. Florida was an overtime game here and it is not going to be easy playing down there. But we will try to win two and go out on a good note this week."

There is only so much a coaching staff can do they can teach how to defend but in the end the players have to have the talent and ability and most important they have to have the desire intelligence also comes into play. This team can not defend without fouling they go after every shot fake. In December this team looked like a middle of the pack SEC team like I said in pervious post I think so far this is CNO best coaching job.
To me coaching is teaching. Part of teaching is the student starting to get it which eventually turns into results. That would include playing D w/o fouling and giving great effort. No idea why this team has not gotten it but in the end it is Oats job to find the formula. I think Oats favors offense and has more ideas there when presented with a problem. Not sure he has as many rabbits in his hat for improving D. Pair that with a completely new coaching staff that has taken time to gel and you get a really good team just not a great team. I think one other variable here and probably contributes as much as anything is Bediako not coming back. As good as the team is with better inside play/players this team would be crazy good. Offensively they are but you saw last night when they play a really good D they are held well below the average.

On the road, Bama scored 71 and at home they scored 74 - only 3 points better. Contrast with the Vile stats and playing on the road ,they score 81 and at their home court 91 - 10 points difference. The Vile D paced the flow of the game in the first 15 minutes of the game and the last 10 minutes of the game. Just like any sport Defense travels.

To close out on a positive note, the D played much better last night. You just can't turn it off an on. This starts in practice. Practice like you play. Force yourself to defend at a high level in practice and it becomes muscle memory when you get into a game.

To me, biggest and most important thing about defense and rebounding is “desire or want to”. There have been times during the season that this team has shown neither, last night wasn’t one of those nights to be honest. The Viles are A LOT like that last team we played during football season, Michigan. They were older and more experienced. I mean, Vescovi and Ziegler have been there, what 15 years combined!! The Viles were simply the better team.

Last edited:
How to practice and prepare for a team that's bigger than you, and better?

They are a better, more physical ball team. Look at the 50/50 ball for proof.
So accept you L and move on? I sure hope this is not the mindset of the coaching staff and team. I do understand we are likely out manned in some games this year.

Was thinking about this a little more today. What is the best win this team has had? The better teams they have lost to in my view. The best wins I guess are South Carolina, the Barn and Florida at home. What is the best road win?

I don't think Bama made a FG from the 9 minute mark where Stevenson missed his 2 FT's until there was about a minute left in the game. Just went bone dry... party because of some terrible shots.
Shot selection was pure ass. TN tightened up around the perimeter and we began having lazy passes that led to turnovers.
So accept you L and move on? I sure hope this is not the mindset of the coaching staff and team. I do understand we are likely out manned in some games this year.

Was thinking about this a little more today. What is the best win this team has had? The better teams they have lost to in my view. The best wins I guess are South Carolina, the Barn and Florida at home. What is the best road win?
At Mississippi State and Ole Miss are definitely our best road wins.

Ha, that's what teams do against our football team. You go in hoping to catch them on a bad day, but you don't spend days afterwards figuring out why you lost to us. You accept we are good and simply better, and then you focus on the next one.

Ha, that's what teams do against our football team. You go in hoping to catch them on a bad day, but you don't spend days afterwards figuring out why you lost to us. You accept we are good and simply better, and then you focus on the next one.
As bad as I hate to admit it that is where this team is but I would still hope Oats and the team do not have that mindset. Bama baskeball needs to take the next step. We will be about 10 wins less than last year. Maybe it is harder in basketball to maintain success. I think we are going to see just how hard it is in football also following the retirment of CNS.

I hope that Oats approached this game as the next game but I do not think he did. Historically he does not seem to coach with that mindset. That could turn into a let down Tuesday. The Florida game on the road was already an iffy game.

Err. 24 hour rule?

Yes. They move on. Yesterday morning their focus was on Florida.
I don't think Bama made a FG from the 9 minute mark where Stevenson missed his 2 FT's until there was about a minute left in the game. Just went bone dry... party because of some terrible shots.
IF UT is able to put the physical ball pressure on the PG the way they did Sears they can beat anyone in the country. I almost felt bad for Mark. It's basketball.

IF UT is able to win the 50/50 balls like they did against Bama they can beat any team in the country.

But, that stretch of 2-13 (I believe) at the end of the game? Nail meets coffin.

First chance I have had to post since Saturday's game. Some things I saw and did not see from our players:
1. Nelson played horrible.
2. Griffen played decent D but he takes very poor shots and seems lost at times on offense.
3. Cannot take plays off on defense, see the man, see the ball and move.
4. When we need a basket, the ball has to be in Sears hands.
5. Pringle played well, big rebounds and timely baskets.
6. Walters rushes to many shots.
7. We are not a very good half court team at all. Credit UT.
8. You cannot shot 2 for 13 or 14 late in the game and expect to win.
9. Regroup and be ready to play the next game.
10. Situational basketball, know when to shot a quick shot and know when to work the ball for a good shot.

That's the Championship BLT, 1 strip of bacon for every national title. I have not had it... I actually prefer their breakfast, but am rarely over that way during breakfast hours. I think, maybe, @Kirk Van de Graaff got the BLT once a few national titles ago when I went there with him, but I may be wrong on that.
Yep and had to get tums for the rest of the day. The sandwich was good though.

Err. 24 hour rule?

Yes. They move on. Yesterday morning their focus was on Florida.

IF UT is able to put the physical ball pressure on the PG the way they did Sears they can beat anyone in the country. I almost felt bad for Mark. It's basketball.

IF UT is able to win the 50/50 balls like they did against Bama they can beat any team in the country.

But, that stretch of 2-13 (I believe) at the end of the game? Nail meets coffin.
Sure 24 hour rule always applies but this game was hyped. I still believe Oats can take a play out of CNS play book and talk more about playing to a standard instead of talking in a way that shows some games are bigger than others. More control what you can control and get better every day speeches. I am concerened this game was so hyped that it will carry over into the UF game. This is a quick turnaround so maybe that does expedite getting over it and moving on mentality. They better find a way. It being on the road this could be a disaster and potential for Bama to get ran out of the gym. Hope not ... we are going to see on Tuesday.

Sure 24 hour rule always applies but this game was hyped. I still believe Oats can take a play out of CNS play book and talk more about playing to a standard instead of talking in a way that shows some games are bigger than others. More control what you can control and get better every day speeches. I am concerened this game was so hyped that it will carry over into the UF game. This is a quick turnaround so maybe that does expedite getting over it and moving on mentality. They better find a way. It being on the road this could be a disaster and potential for Bama to get ran out of the gym. Hope not ... we are going to see on Tuesday.

It would just be lip service if he did... It's just not his style. He's brash and unfiltered. And I've said as much before, but to a degree it almost certainly trickles down to the team. Not that they can't win that way, plenty do... but its certainly a style and approach that is a 180 in terms of Saban's... don't focus on outcomes, etc. It's an attitude/coaching style often found with these younger, successful HC's who've made huge leaps from the HS ranks to major college coaching... in any sport... just part of the package...

As for the UF game, it felt (to me anyway) like a looming loss even if Bama had won Saturday night... especially minus Wrightsell. We'll see though...

Not trying to hijack the thread but what is the deal here? I guess he got a consussion in practice and it digressed recently? Anyone know what happened and why it is taking so long to get over it?

Bama is 5-3 since start of Feb. Do the losses align with when Wrightsell was hurt?

Yes, concussed in practice and the headaches haven't completely stopped which means no green light. They did not expect it to drag on nearly this long... just one of those things...

Yes, concussed in practice and the headaches haven't completely stopped which means no green light. They did not expect it to drag on nearly this long... just one of those things...
Also depends if he has had previous concussions as well. Few more hoops you have to jump through to get cleared. My son experienced a concussion in football and missed a week and then in the Spring suffered another concussion in soccer. He had to do a memory test with the doctor then running/soccer drills before getting cleared. We went to New York that Spring Break and I had him running sprints and “touch and go’s” in the hallway at our hotel!😂

As bad as I hate to admit it that is where this team is but I would still hope Oats and the team do not have that mindset. Bama baskeball needs to take the next step. We will be about 10 wins less than last year. Maybe it is harder in basketball to maintain success. I think we are going to see just how hard it is in football also following the retirment of CNS.
Anyone who thinks Bama will win at the same clip in football without Saban, please contact me. I have some great bottom land I’d like to discuss selling to you.

Anyone who thinks Bama will win at the same clip in football without Saban, please contact me. I have some great bottom land I’d like to discuss selling to you.
There's no way to say what's going to happen, although ...

I'll proffer this thought.

DeBoer took over a 4-8 team at UW and over the next two seasons went 25-3. Do you think Saban could have done better than DeBoer?

Back
Top Bottom