| FTBL Where are all our Hog Friends?

BigAl said:
Ive only seen one hog fan over here, others have to be lurking. Come on guys and gals come on in and join us.

This is another SEC team that not only has a new coach, but a whole new identity. I mean, as of late, you just didn't find a team more run oriented than Arkansas.

Now, with Petrino, it is literally like night and day in strategy and style and training and practicing.

I look for great things from Arkansas in a couple of years. Just like all of us heard 10,000 times a day back when Coach Saban was hired, "It isn't going to happen overnight".

They are, as a team, going through much more upheaval than Alabama did in our coaching change. At least 'Bama didn't fundamentally alter their whole image and style of play.

CtrlAltieDel said:
BigAl said:
Ive only seen one hog fan over here, others have to be lurking. Come on guys and gals come on in and join us.

This is another SEC team that not only has a new coach, but a whole new identity. I mean, as of late, you just didn't find a team more run oriented than Arkansas.

Now, with Petrino, it is literally like night and day in strategy and style and training and practicing.

I look for great things from Arkansas in a couple of years. Just like all of us heard 10,000 times a day back when Coach Saban was hired, "It isn't going to happen overnight".

They are, as a team, going through much more upheaval than Alabama did in our coaching change. At least 'Bama didn't fundamentally alter their whole image and style of play.

It might have something to do with the exit of two of the best running backs in school history, if not SEC history. That'll change your game plan whether you like it or not.

reger60 said:
CtrlAltieDel said:
BigAl said:

It might have something to do with the exit of two of the best running backs in school history, if not SEC history. That'll change your game plan whether you like it or not.

McFadden and Jones leaving was not good news for Arky, but players come and go.

Houston Nutt was the coach that was run oriented. He always has been, to the point of being obsessive about it at times. He was that way long before McFadden and Jones came along.

If Nutt was still at Arkansas, they definitely would not be going to a Petrino style air attack. That would blow a hole in Houston Nutt's heart, that is not his style.

CtrlAltieDel said:
reger60 said:
CtrlAltieDel said:
BigAl said:

Houston Nutt was the coach that was run oriented. He always has been, to the point of being obsessive about it at times. He was that way long before McFadden and Jones came along.

If Nutt was still at Arkansas, they definitely would not be going to a Petrino style air attack. That would blow a hole in Houston Nutt's heart, that is not his style.

I don't like Nutt as a person, but he is a fundamentally sound coach who teaches smashmouth football as well as anyone in the country. His biggest problem was recruiting - and that has as much to do with Arkansas as it does him.

Honestly, with Petrino, Arkansas may have downgraded. In his 10 years at Arkansas, Nutt was 5-5 against both Auburn and Alabama. His 4-6 record against LSU is respectable given the fact that they won 2 NC's during that time. His 9-1 record against MSU says that he rarely loses to a team with inferior talent, and his 1 loss was by 1 point to an 8 win Sherrill team.

Its amazing how bad the Arkies hate him with his 2-1 record against UTexas.

Nutt is throwing a lot more these days. May have something to do with Jevan Snead. May have to do with RB's not being Nutt's caliber.

If he had a mold it sure looks like he broke out of it when he came to Ole Miss. FWIW I think Ole Miss is the winner in this coaching carousel.

Big_Fan said:
I don't like Nutt as a person, but he is a fundamentally sound coach who teaches smashmouth football as well as anyone in the country. His biggest problem was recruiting - and that has as much to do with Arkansas as it does him.

Honestly, with Petrino, Arkansas may have downgraded. In his 10 years at Arkansas, Nutt was 5-5 against both Auburn and Alabama. His 4-6 record against LSU is respectable given the fact that they won 2 NC's during that time. His 9-1 record against MSU says that he rarely loses to a team with inferior talent, and his 1 loss was by 1 point to an 8 win Sherrill team.

I didn't really get it either, Big Fan. He was a pretty good coach, better than many we have had lately.

I guess the problem many had with him is that he didn't win pretty and didn't do it fancy. You know, the same complaint many idiots had about Coach Stallings.

]
Big_Fan said:
CtrlAltieDel said:
reger60 said:
CtrlAltieDel said:
BigAl said:

Hey guys. Rest assured, we are here.

As for Nutt, there are many reasons for our distress. Nutt was the longest tenured coach at a BCS school without going to a BCS bowl. That alone should have been good enough reason to can him. His record in the SEC was 42-38. Maybe we're crazy but that's not good enough for us. Lets break that record down. 23 of those wins were vs Ole Miss, Miss St, or South Carolina. 3 more against UK and Vandy. That puts him at 16 significant wins in 10 years and 2-5 in bowl games and would have been 2-6 had he stayed long enough to get spanked by Mizzou in the Cotton bowl last season. AND, we were 0-2 vs UNLV (IN FOOTBALL!).

I don't really want to get into too much depth about the whole Gus Malzahn/Springdale three debacle but Ughh, what a mess that was. I'll just say this. I'm sure after the past two years you guys are familiar with the "Wildhog" scheme. Well, it's now known as the "Wildrebel" --classy. However, it was first known as the "Wildcat". Yeah, it was invented (along with every other good play we had in 06' by Gus Malzahn. OC Gus Malzahn and QB Mitch Mustain (8-0 as a true freshman) gave Nutt his only 10 win season. He got jealous because they were getting too much attention, acted like a fool and ran them off along with the other two, Andrew Norman and Damien Williams. Yep, the same Damien Williams that is tearing it up for USC west this season (had 3 catches for 49 yards and 2 td's vs Ohio State in week 3). He and Mustain are both playing for the Trojans this year. The other of the three (Andrew Norman) went to Tulsa with Malzahn. He is transferring back now that Nutt is gone.Sorry, I said I wasn't going to get into detail.

I promise I won't get into detail about the whole "textual relations" ordeal but does texting a news lady while your married and standing on the sidelines during the Capitol One bowl sound like a coach who is concerned about coaching his team to a big bowl victory? H-E-Double hockeysticks NO!

Nutt Sucks! I feel badly for Ole Miss. He inherited a great team thanks to Coach O's recruiting skills, as he did in '98 inhereting Danny Ford's kids. Ole Miss should have a decent record this year but I have no doubt that Nutt will find a way to keep them no better than .500 in conference play while he's there.

Oh, and believe me when I say that we didn't downgrade. Nutt has a 61% win percentage overall. Bobby Petrino is currently 43-9 and would have to lose his next 19 games to be equal with Nutt. And if ESPiN wants to talk about a coach with bad character they should leave Saban and Petrino alone and investigate Nutt a bit. He is not a coach. He is an egotistical motivational speaker-PERIOD.

Good luck Saturday, as if you're going to need it :( . Who knows? Maybe we'll get lucky. :D GO HOGS!

Good post Nate-Hawg.

I see your point and while most everyone around here feels that HDN was good coach....not one of them wanted him when we were looking for one 2 years ago.(me included)

Again you are close to the situation while we read from afar, but I think you hit the nail on the head about Nutt being a motivator. I think that is how he has been able to win the big games that he has. I think he is spastic to watch and I never wanted him at U of A, but I do think he will be a good fit at UM and will have them winning some games that he is not supposed to and then turn right around and lose the next week to an inferior opponent. All in all I think CNS said it best last year when he said that HDN gets the most out of his players. Overall he is a pretty good coach IMO b/c motivation is a big part of it.

I don't think you are going to find but a handful of Arkansas fans that would agree with Alabama fans on the kind of coach Nutt was in terms of our game.

Over the years of his tenure, when talking to those that were closely associated with Nutt, the focus he put on this game was higher than most of their SEC contest. It shocked me, in a sense, to hear that. But then again, not so much (and I don't mean this egotistically as a fan) when you consider a W vs Alabama can make or break a coaches tenure at a University.

The one thing I found very lacking in his time in Fayetteville was their inability to win in post season games. They were 0 'fer in ATL and won how many bowl games under Nutt? 2, I think?

Back to the thread...

I suspect the reason we don't see a lot of Arkansas fans around Bama message forums this year is they realize when you compare position to position (IE: RB's to RB's) there are one or two that are close, but in the end all of them end up as advantage: Alabama.

TerryP said:
I suspect the reason we don't see a lot of Arkansas fans around Bama message forums this year is they realize when you compare position to position (IE: RB's to RB's) there are one or two that are close, but in the end all of them end up as advantage: Alabama.

That's what I look forward to seeing more often. :D

rammerjammer said:
All in all I think CNS said it best last year when he said that HDN gets the most out of his players.

We call him the "Quarterback killer". Look at the difference in Casey Dick's stats so far.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=170906

QB rating of 149 and an avg of 320.5 ypg this year. I hope, for Sneads sake, Nutt keeps throwing the ball like he has been lately. Although, I do remember reading an article after the Wake loss where Nutt stated that he was going to "simplify" the offense because it was too complicated.

THROWITDEEP said:
I'm here now!

IKE knocked out my power for several days and we have been cleaning up. It was pretty bad here.

Looking forward to Saturday.

Welcome back, TID. Glad to hear you're getting things back in shape. Hope things get straightened out and go well for you - after Saturday, that is.

RTR,

Tim

Nate-Hawg said:
rammerjammer said:
All in all I think CNS said it best last year when he said that HDN gets the most out of his players.

We call him the "Quarterback killer". Look at the difference in Casey Dick's stats so far.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=170906

QB rating of 149 and an avg of 320.5 ypg this year. I hope, for Sneads sake, Nutt keeps throwing the ball like he has been lately. Although, I do remember reading an article after the Wake loss where Nutt stated that he was going to "simplify" the offense because it was too complicated.

I've said, numerous times, on this site as well as TID's site that I expected Casey would show improvement this year and shock a lot of people that "dissed" him in the summer of this year.

That said...

I still give the advantage in this game to JP.

Ironically, you can draw the same comparison between CD and JPW in the fact their skill set is more designed for an approach that entails, "don't lose the game, minimize the mistakes."

I look at the QB situation with both teams on two different levels. However, both have the same ingredient.

You might find solace, or perhaps a little joy, in this when I say one of the advantages JPW has against Casey can be lain at the feet of Nutt. That advantage? Experience. Casey didn't get a lot of work last year in real game situations. This year, he's had his reps but he hasn't faced a secondary even close to the one he'll face this Saturday.

While JP hasn't been a world beater he has a ton of experience when he's compared to CD.

Then, I look at the back-ups in this game and it's a Bama advantage again. Who would be yours? I suspect it would be Casey's brother. Here, Greg gets the advantage for Bama because he's had more experience with our offense and has seen playing time, albeit little.

Took me all week, but I'm here. Normally just like to read other school's sites but what the hell.

My heart says:
This will be a tough game but the hogs will surprise the nation. We'll finally play some good D and get some turnovers and the offense will explode by throwing all over you in the 1st quarter, opening up our run game with the speedy Michael Smith. Bama will be so confused on defense we'll score at will. Final score 42-21.

My head says:
Oh schit. Bama 38, Hogs 17

Back
Top Bottom