| OT Upcoming Nike deals with Bama and auburn...

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Staff
A lot of talk lately about auburn swapping to Nike, which is true. A major push behind that has come from Pearl who was never happy with Under Armour since it doesn't sell well with basketball recruits.

The interesting thing here, is Bama has a new deal with Nike lurking on deck (finally). And while auburn has little to no leverage for getting a big deal since under Armour isn't an option for them this time around, they lucked up since Tim Cook is on the Board of Directors at Nike and is helping them get a better deal than what they'd normally get in this situation.

Where is gets interesting for Bama is, the Tide's eventual deal will surpass whatever auburn gets. And Bama now has a premiere basketball program that is a legitimate Final Four caliber program... that only helps bolster the value of the coming deal.

I know there were some very preliminary discussions of Bama getting the "Jumpman" Jordan Brand treatment but I haven't heard anything on that lately that leads me to believe that is the definitive plan (although I do think that door is open).

Regardless, the Tide is in position to get a really good deal this time around... they've been very loyal to Nike and now have the 2 major sports programs at the top of the mountain at the same time. Not to mention, an AD who is savvy enough to navigate these waters without issues. Just something to keep in mind when auburn's deal is announced (likely this summer).

A lot of talk lately about auburn swapping to Nike, which is true. A major push behind that has come from Pearl who was never happy with Under Armour since it doesn't sell well with basketball recruits. The interesting thing here, is Bama has a new deal with Nike lurking on deck (finally). And while auburn has little to no leverage for getting a big deal since under Armour isn't an option for them this time around, they lucked up since Tim Cook is on the Board of Directors at Nike and is helping them get a better deal than what they'd normally get in this situation. Where is gets interesting for Bama is, the Tide's eventual deal will surpass whatever auburn gets. And Bama now has a premiere basketball program that is a legitimate Final Four caliber program... that only helps bolster the value of the coming deal. I know there were some very preliminary discussions of Bama getting the "Jumpman" Jordan Brand treatment but I haven't heard anything on that lately that leads me to believe that is the definitive plan (although I do think that door is open). Regardless, the Tide is in position to get a really good deal this time around... they've been very loyal to Nike and now have the 2 major sports programs at the top of the mountain at the same time. Not to mention, an AD who is savvy enough to navigate these waters without issues. Just something to keep in mind when auburn's deal is announced (likely this summer).

I have always wondered why we were never given the Jordan brand. North Carolina was a given, but were Oklahoma, Florida, and Michigan only give the green light when their contract was up for renewal or was it just part of the launch? The Jordan brand would look different on Alabama stuff and I'm not sure how I personally feel about it, but my son and recruits would salivate over it. I'd take a pair of Jordan 11's in crimson and white! He already uses the elephant skin type look on his gloves, clothing, and some of his more custom shoes, so one would think it's a natural fit for us.

As far as Under Armour goes, they have made a HUGE push to gain on Nike and have really done well in the baseball segment. I now wear Under Armour a lot of the time unless it's Alabama gear. Seems they are ok sticking with baseball and with the middle to late aged gym crews.

I have always wondered why we were never given the Jordan brand. North Carolina was a given, but were Oklahoma, Florida, and Michigan only give the green light when their contract was up for renewal or was it just part of the launch? The Jordan brand would look different on Alabama stuff and I'm not sure how I personally feel about it, but my son and recruits would salivate over it. I'd take a pair of Jordan 11's in crimson and white! He already uses the elephant skin type look on his gloves, clothing, and some of his more custom shoes, so one would think it's a natural fit for us.

As far as Under Armour goes, they have made a HUGE push to gain on Nike and have really done well in the baseball segment. I now wear Under Armour a lot of the time unless it's Alabama gear. Seems they are ok sticking with baseball and with the middle to late aged gym crews.

I'd assume renewal on all of those.

It sure seems Under Armour has refocused some... I think they tried and failed to cut into the NCAA team market, in terms of taking from Nike... but that's just a view from 40,000'. Their focus appears to be more on athlete deals now as opposed to schools deals, which is probably smart. Speaking of baseball, did you see the uproar in spring training about the Nike jerseys? Players complaining about the quality and fit? I guess they got it straightened out, but the players were not thrilled.

Also, I agree on the Jumpman logo... It would take a bit to get used to, but then again, so did the Nike logo (for me anyway). There's be some fans who pitched a fit about it I'm sure. But, the players and recruits would love it, as you said.

I'd assume renewal on all of those.

It sure seems Under Armour has refocused some... I think they tried and failed to cut into the NCAA team market, in terms of taking from Nike... but that's just a view from 40,000'. Their focus appears to be more on athlete deals now as opposed to schools deals, which is probably smart. Speaking of baseball, did you see the uproar in spring training about the Nike jerseys? Players complaining about the quality and fit? I guess they got it straightened out, but the players were not thrilled.

I couldn't decide if that was on Nike or Fanatics? Recycled materials made them see through and they are cheap looking. Funny thing is now they are charging even more for the jerseys we all buy at the store compared to last year. I laughed when Fanatics own Customer Service responded by saying they dropped the ball, ha ha.

1712175493472.png

I couldn't decide if that was on Nike or Fanatics? Recycled materials made them see through and they are cheap looking. Funny thing is now they are charging even more for the jerseys we all buy at the store compared to last year. I laughed when Fanatics own Customer Service responded by saying they dropped the ball, ha ha.

Both, I guess? I will say, in my admittedly very limited encounters with Fanatics, they seem to drop the ball... A LOT.

Udder Armour jumped the damn shark with that whole Maryland uniform debacle. You just can't unsee those ugly ass uniforms and helmets.
The whole industry jumped. People yell at Battle because of the deal he signed. No one looks at the date. He missed the jump.

That would be wild if Bama ended up with Jumpman.

I am not familiar with that Auburn account; and that's okay.

I can say Cole announced this three days ago...so someone is a little late on their "Trending News." :devilish:

I am not familiar with that Auburn account; and that's okay.

I can say Cole announced this three days ago...so someone is a little late on their "Trending News." :devilish:
I just heard CNO is up for the Kentucky job /sarcasm

I'm just poking fun, yea sometimes I get out of the loop with things on the financial side myself.

I'm just poking fun, yea sometimes I get out of the loop with things on the financial side myself.
If you are a guy running a site for Auburn and you aren't following Cole...you aren't a guy running a site for Auburn. 🤷‍♂️

It was either Saturday or Sunday Cole sent out a tweet with an animated Nike logo. I thought that was pretty clear considering the thread and recent news.

Back
Top Bottom