| FTBL Realistic expectations for the SECCG

First, I would put Milroe at RB. The guy is 6'2 212 lbs, runs a 4.4. and is better than any option we have at RB with Robinson likely out of this game or extremely limited
Not sure how we can know this would be more effective. Has not done this all year and is asking us to be something we are not. I get the impression from your post that you believe Bama being bama is not going to be good enough. I disagree I just think we are going to have to do what we do better than we have been doing it. An execution issue not personnel. I use terms like play a clean game (do not drop the ball or have a lot of turn overs. Do not have a lot of penalties etc..) My 2 cents.

Bama being bama

Ok, this is what I keep wanting to point to with your post about this team this entire year. WE DO NOT WIN GAMES BECAUSE WE ARE BAMA! That means absolutely zero to the opponent or to the actual game. I understand you're speaking somewhat in terms of preparation and coaching as well, but it appears that hasn't been as crisp either this season. What @BamaMD has offered is a legitimate game plan that I honestly think makes a ton of sense. I only keep tagging and responding to you because he's offering substance, where you continue to refute any notion we can lose because we are Alabama and have history. What is going to have to happen to make you think we aren't Superman? I've stated we can win this game, so you can't say I'm a Georgia fan or Negative Nancy in that regard. I, like a few others, know it's a tough ask after everything we have seen this year. I hope as much as you do that we somehow put it all together and make it happen.

All that being said, we are beat up and struggling where they are strong. We cannot line straight up against them right now on offense and expect to do what we did against LSU and Auburn and win the football game. We played in unison one time this year, and it was against Ole Miss. Both sides played well and it showed in that performance. We are going to have to scheme to the personal we have at our disposal for this game and make it work. THAT'S where Saban will make a difference. We won't win because of our tradition, because of our name, or because we've been there before (they have too). We'll win because we come up with a gameplan that is building this team for success.

We know Georgia is going to blitz and blitz often on defense. Expect a soft zone from the secondary when they do and possible double coverage on Williams on most other plays as he is the only legit deep threat that we have that actually plays. Additionally, I expect a spy on Bryce throughout the game in case he attempts to scramble. Thats as simple as it gets with stopping BAMA's offense. Georgia doesn't need to dominate BAMA, just get enough stops on offense to outscore them as we don't have multiple quick strike playmakers on this team should we get behind. There is no Smith, Waddle, Jeudy or Ruggs at WR or at returner. We don't have the offensive line that can dictate the line of scrimmage. We don't have a Mr. Do-it-all at RB like Najee Harris and finally, we don't have an offensive coordinator creative enough to exploit mismatches at any level.

Now, there are a few things I believe we can do to make this game more interesting and give ourself the best chance to win. First, I would put Milroe at RB. The guy is 6'2 212 lbs, runs a 4.4. and is better than any option we have at RB with Robinson likely out of this game or extremely limited. Secondly, we must go 4 and 5 wide to space out Georgia's defense. Give Bryce the opportunity to pick them apart, scramble to keep drives going and hit them over the top when possible. Next, I would consider consolidating my best offensive lineman to one side in the jumbo package and use it to run off tackle in short yardage situations. This would allow for an added benefit of the QB bootleg with option to pass to the TE as Georgia would likely start to slant to the strong side. Additionally, it is imperative that we put more speed on the field to keep Georgia honest with their coverage and not crowd the box. I would start Baker or Brooks over Slade and put Leary and Earle (if available) as returners. We need additional home run threats on the field and unfortunately Slade does not provide that, but he would definitely serve as my possession receiver in short yardage situations and in the red zone. Also, Brooks, Baker and Hall are bigger WRs that actually block. Something that seems lost with Williams most of the time. Finally, I would open up the playbook. Tennessee showed that Georgia is extremely susceptible to tempo and that their secondary is good but not dominate. Use tempo to run the hell out of their defensive front and don't allow substitutions and if they try to substitute, use the quick snap for a free 5 yards and send the receivers on go routes. Create an advantage and run them until they start faking injuries or Kirby calls timeout.

These are just some of my thoughts. I believe we have the players to win this game, I just don't know if we have coaches that are open to the necessary changes needed to give use the best opportunity to win this game.
Very Solid put together plan, pretty much what I would do if I were on offense except I wouldn't put Milroe in at RB. I like your ideas with everything else though, we need some sparks/speed on offense and we need to be not 1 dimensional. We also could really benefit from No Huddle and speed offense trying to wear them down like Clemson did with us in previous years.

WE DO NOT WIN GAMES BECAUSE WE ARE BAMA!

I don't want to put words in @mando mouth, but I think he is likening this phrase to Chistopher Walken's character of Frank Abignale Sr. in the movie "Catch Me If You Can". He said the Yankees always when because of the pinstripes. It distracts the other team.

I think Bama being the King plays a bit on the opposing teams Psyche. People have made statements that Kirby is going to make a/some bone head calls/moves in the game. I think wanting to beat someone really bad can cause those issues.

After the 2010 debacle in South Carolina, Saban made the statement. Just because you put on that Crimson Jersey means your gonna whip the opponent that week. Saban is all about the psychology of the athlete, body language, saying it's hot during 2 a days in August, all of the encompassing stuff that gives your opponent an advantage. I also think with UGA and all the rat poison, there is still some butterfly's over the fact that they haven't dethroned us.........yet.

ie....they have a lot to lose (playing tight). We have nothing to lose and can let it all hang out.

Ok, this is what I keep wanting to point to with your post about this team this entire year. WE DO NOT WIN GAMES BECAUSE WE ARE BAMA! That means absolutely zero to the opponent or to the actual game. I understand you're speaking somewhat in terms of preparation and coaching as well, but it appears that hasn't been as crisp either this season. What @BamaMD has offered is a legitimate game plan that I honestly think makes a ton of sense. I only keep tagging and responding to you because he's offering substance, where you continue to refute any notion we can lose because we are Alabama and have history. What is going to have to happen to make you think we aren't Superman? I've stated we can win this game, so you can't say I'm a Georgia fan or Negative Nancy in that regard. I, like a few others, know it's a tough ask after everything we have seen this year. I hope as much as you do that we somehow put it all together and make it happen.

All that being said, we are beat up and struggling where they are strong. We cannot line straight up against them right now on offense and expect to do what we did against LSU and Auburn and win the football game. We played in unison one time this year, and it was against Ole Miss. Both sides played well and it showed in that performance. We are going to have to scheme to the personal we have at our disposal for this game and make it work. THAT'S where Saban will make a difference. We won't win because of our tradition, because of our name, or because we've been there before (they have too). We'll win because we come up with a gameplan that is building this team for success.
My Bama comment here was not related to the Bama tradition/culture. It was related to this specific team is who we are at this point. So I understand how you tied it back to previous post but that was not the intent here. We are a QB playmaking team this year so my "Bama being bama" is to say we can't produce a different identity at this point. We need to be better at who we are under our current identity for this years team.

I believe you are making it out that we have to be Superman to beat UGA which is what I disagree with. I believe a Bama team being the best version of who we are this year is good enough to beat UGA. Will we play clean and play to our strengths? That is to be seen.

A better way to think about this is we panic and believe we have to be something we are not this year. An extreme example would be we come out in the wishbone. I know extreme example but seems like some of these are desperate moves.

I don't want to put words in @mando mouth, but I think he is likening this phrase to Chistopher Walken's character of Frank Abignale Sr. in the movie "Catch Me If You Can". He said the Yankees always when because of the pinstripes. It distracts the other team.
Ok now on to the Bama tradition comment, rammerjammer does capture the intangible idea. Yankees as an organization believes in who they are and the other team does as well. That intangible favors Bama. No guarantees it wins the game but it is real in Bama's locker room and UGA's locker room until it is not.

My Bama comment here was not related to the Bama tradition/culture. It was related to this specific team is who we are at this point. So I understand how you tied it back to previous post but that was not the intent here. We are a QB playmaking team this year so my "Bama being bama" is to say we can't produce a different identity at this point. We need to be better at who we are under our current identity for this years team.

I believe you are making it out that we have to be Superman to beat UGA which is what I disagree with. I believe a Bama team being the best version of who we are this year is good enough to beat UGA. Will we play clean and play to our strengths? That is to be seen.

A better way to think about this is we panic and believe we have to be something we are not this year. An extreme example would be we come out in the wishbone. I know extreme example but seems like some of these are desperate moves.

Ok now on to the Bama tradition comment, rammerjammer does capture the intangible idea. Yankees as an organization believes in who they are and the other team does as well. That intangible favors Bama. No guarantees it wins the game but it is real in Bama's locker room and UGA's locker room until it is not.

Considering we have one game we played in unison this year, it would take a Superman effort to get this team to do it again. I didn't mean it was out of this world or impossible, just saying if we did it once in twelve games, it's gonna take a superhuman effort to do it again after what I would consider a tough three game run with LSU, Arkansas, and Auburn.

To the last comment about the Yankees. His dad in that movie was more of a seller of false goods glass half full kind of guy whether he could produce or not. So a lot of what he said in that movie reminded me more of an Eddie Haskell rather than a knowledgeable figure. Yankees won because of Ruth, Gehrig, Maris, Mantle, Berra, and DiMaggio. They did not win in down years because people were scared of their pinstripes. That doesn't strike fear in people. Babe Ruth in the batter's box scares people, not a team wearing the uniform that has no punch. Those numbered helmets mean zero to Georgia players. Just like that G and #1 ranking means absolutely zero to our players. I'm not a believer of bulletin board material as if it will miraculously make a guy play above his ability due to a comment. Alabama is good because we focus on discipline, mechanics, and everyone doing their job leaving very little room for issues. Hard to say that's the case this year, so I don't hinge my realistic predictions based off of something that isn't happening. I've bet with my heart too many times and learned it's not the smart way to gamble. I hope they show it can be done, the entire team can buy in, and continue to work towards the #1 goal of a Natty. I'll have my crimson and white on like everyone here and rooting our boys on. I will say though, if there is one team that can win this weekend, it's our team. I have the most confidence that our team can actually win compared to Michigan, Cincinnati, and Oklahoma State.

I like and agree with most of what you're saying. However, "We'll win because we come up with a gameplan that is building this team for success". I have more confidence in the defense because CNS is on that side but don't forget about the OC and play caller. Not much confidence on that side because O'Brien is rumored for some head coaching jobs and is probably on his way out anyway.

I like and agree with most of what you're saying. However, "We'll win because we come up with a gameplan that is building this team for success". I have more confidence in the defense because CNS is on that side but don't forget about the OC and play caller. Not much confidence on that side because O'Brien is rumored for some head coaching jobs and is probably on his way out anyway.

I'm still unsure about the O'Brien stuff. I don't have my finger on the pulse when it comes to coaching changes. It's not something that gets my attention. That being said, I think he has done a decent job this season. Replacing wide receivers, running backs, quarterbacks, and linemen isn't easy. We still averaged 40 points a game. If he can find a way to get Bryce some time or find a way to get the ball out quickly, we will be in good shape. If he can spread their defense out, it would relieve our running game and our line just enough where we could see a difference. NOW, has he done anything like that this year? No. Have we shown we will make adjustments to combat what the defense is doing? No. I just hope we aren't dumb enough to do the same thing over and over again if it fails, and just throw our hands up. Kirby has shown he doesn't prepare for what is not right in front of him, so you hope the professor (Saban) knows that and forces his staff to send a test Georgia's way that they've never seen before.

We know Georgia is going to blitz and blitz often on defense.

First, I would put Milroe at RB. The guy is 6'2 212 lbs, runs a 4.4. and is better than any option we have at RB with Robinson likely out of this game or extremely limited.

What @BamaMD has offered is a legitimate game plan that I honestly think makes a ton of sense.
Why do we want to see Milroe manning the running back position when we're going to see Georgia blitz and blitz often?

One, he's a quarterback and that in and of itself makes this a bad idea. He doesn't have the skill set that running backs do: 4.4- 40 isn't a skill set.

Part of that skill set is picking up the blitz: he has no experience.

Saban was specific with what the offense needs to do when he talked about it in Monday's press conference. I'd suggest finding it and watching.

Why do we want to see Milroe manning the running back position when we're going to see Georgia blitz and blitz often?

One, he's a quarterback and that in and of itself makes this a bad idea. He doesn't have the skill set that running backs do: 4.4- 40 isn't a skill set.

Part of that skill set is picking up the blitz: he has no experience.

Saban was specific with what the offense needs to do when he talked about it in Monday's press conference. I'd suggest finding it and watching.

I never said he should be RB1 and running the ball 25 times a game. He is elusive and can run the ball. I've seen it a few times in games this season and through his recruiting tape. Why not give him a few screen passes when we're down running backs? Why not try and run a flea flicker with him? Heck, why not use him as a decoy just to confuse the defense? There are a number of ways to utilize his talents without running him off guard and tackle 20 times. He is built like Hurts and we see what Hurts could do when he ran the ball.

I never said he should be RB1 and running the ball 25 times a game. He is elusive and can run the ball. I've seen it a few times in games this season and through his recruiting tape. Why not give him a few screen passes when we're down running backs? Why not try and run a flea flicker with him? Heck, why not use him as a decoy just to confuse the defense? There are a number of ways to utilize his talents without running him off guard and tackle 20 times. He is built like Hurts and we see what Hurts could do when he ran the ball.
I agree he should be used - But why not just use him at QB? Get an extra blocker in there and use the threat of the pass and/or set up a pass for later?

He should get some touches for sure, but QB seems to make the most sense

One Benefit we have, IMO is that we know we need to do things different. Be that in execution or scheme or both. uGA isn't going to do much different IMO unless they have to. So it should give us the advantage over the last few games where teams lined up in formation they never used all year long on 85% of the plays. Although I'm sure uGA will do that too some extent, it will be limited...

I agree he should be used - But why not just use him at QB? Get an extra blocker in there and use the threat of the pass and/or set up a pass for later?

He should get some touches for sure, but QB seems to make the most sense
I think the QB we have is pretty elusive and can run when needed.... and hey, he can kinda throw the ball pretty good too... I don't see a role for Milroe in this game unless QB1 get's hurt.

@BamaFan334 if they need him, he'll be used in the packages they have developed for him and have been working on throughout this season. When he's in the game defenses are adjusting to what he brings. So far this season he hasn't shown himself to be a passing threat so they'll key on it being a run. There's not a lot of surprise there.

In a sense, at this point he's just like OJ Howard. When he's in you know what he's going to do.

We'd be fortunate to see he's developed enough over the course of the season to prove as a passing threat. It would be a nice change of pace facing any team Bama will play. I don't know that the staff has that much confidence in him to go that route.

Not so sure Georgia will even have to blitz and blitz often. We seem to struggle with just a D-line stunt.

I don't think Jordan Davis is a concern with getting to Bryce. I'm also confident in Neal's ability to hold off Nolan Smith. If they don't want Bryce running around and picking them a part they will blitz. I feel that is how they have stymied so many teams. Tindell is a missile, so we will need to have him moving backwards and not forwards.

Bama isnt gonna try. Be something they aren't.

May just have to make sure they can execute May take a extra blocker in backfield

Uga may rush 3. And 8 defending pass.
Their front 3 can give bama trouble.

BY just has to be BY. He doesn't throw ints. Need a rushing game
Catch the ball. Run the ball. Take points when available

This aint the 85 Bears.

If they were that great the line wouldn't be 6-7 it would be double digits

To many praising them. Bama is better

Not so sure Georgia will even have to blitz and blitz often. We seem to struggle with just a D-line stunt.
They haven't been a big blitz team all year long and still get tons of pressure. I would assume with their Dline and our Oline, they won't need to blitz either. They have also played a ton more Zone coverage this year... not much Man to Man so containment of the QB shouldn't be as big a problem.

Bama isnt gonna try. Be something they aren't.

May just have to make sure they can execute May take a extra blocker in backfield

Uga may rush 3. And 8 defending pass.
Their front 3 can give bama trouble.

BY just has to be BY. He doesn't throw ints. Need a rushing game
Catch the ball. Run the ball. Take points when available

This aint the 85 Bears.

If they were that great the line wouldn't be 6-7 it would be double digits

To many praising them. Bama is better

You mean like those +20 spreads we received for LSU, Arkansas, and Auburn?

Back
Top Bottom