| FTBL Realistic expectations for the SECCG

Unfortunately, I believe we are out classed in depth, size and veteran players this year. They are strong in areas where we are very weak.. I do however think we will be the best passing offense that they have faced as long as we excecute. We will also be the best defense that they have faced to date.

They just remind me of Auburn in 2010, us in 2015 and LSU in 2019. They have a ton of upperclassmen who had all underperformed that decided to catch a gear, a core of solid veterans and some young talent that they hit on and developed early.

I pray we can sneak it out somehow but I think they have the better, more veteran and more healthy team.. its gonna be tough
The barn 2010 was a one man team plus I never believe there is anything ever comparable between that program and Bama. I do agree with you in terms of veteran players but not depth/size. Admittedly I have not really studied their roster so maybe they do.

Unfortunately, I believe we are out classed in depth, size and veteran players this year. They are strong in areas where we are very weak.. I do however think we will be the best passing offense that they have faced as long as we excecute. We will also be the best defense that they have faced to date.

They just remind me of Auburn in 2010, us in 2015 and LSU in 2019. They have a ton of upperclassmen who had all underperformed that decided to catch a gear, a core of solid veterans and some young talent that they hit on and developed early.

I pray we can sneak it out somehow but I think they have the better, more veteran and more healthy team.. its gonna be tough

I 100% agree with you on their talent. Dean, Nolan Smith, Adam Anderson while he played, Beal, Jordan Davis, Quay Walker, and Tindall all underwhelmed their first 2-3 years. For being four and five star guys you think they would have came in ready but they never clicked, but this year it just worked out for them. I personally think Jordan Davis is allowing them all to look better than they are outside of Dean. Dean is a blue collar hard working backer. The rest can essentially take care of the outside and allow Davis to eat up anything up the middle. When all you have to be concerned with is straight up and outside it makes things a lot better and easier on a player. If Davis isn't there, they aren't as effective. That's why I think we gotta go fast like Tennessee and spread their backers out. With Neal able to hold down his side, McLaughlen looked stable in the middle, we really only need a half effort from the right to truly give us a lot better of a chance.

Another consideration; what to do with those three capable TE's that play for UGA, specifically Brock Bowers. The kid is for real and please, Pete Golding, don't even think about dropping Christian Harris into coverage trying to defend him

Bama wins. Faith boys faith. Georgia fans are never sure of the outcome, Bama fans are never to doubt the outcome. Why are there so many proponents of positive thinking?

I'm only speaking for me, and Alabama can absolutely win this game. I said over a week ago though that my expectations had been readjusted for a while re: this team and that I wanted them to throttle auburn and anything after that was gravy. I stand by that. This Bama team has serious issues (by Alabama standards). Some are caused by injuries, others aren't (they are mostly caused by lack of maturity). The good news is, the issues are fixable. The bad news is, they aren't fixable this season. This year has been one of Saban's best coaching jobs, even though on paper that may seem like a ridiculous statement. But, Alabama shouldn't (and wouldn't) be 11-1 right now with any other coach IMO. Also wouldn't be 11-1 without Will Anderson. But, even with his best team, Kirby is still Kirby (meaning he's good for some big game screwups) and football is still football. I expect Bama to show up with some fight. But while I'm thinking positive and hoping Bama beats them so bad the playoff committee drops them to 5th, I think its also fair to be realistic about what the Tide is facing Saturday.

I'm only speaking for me, and Alabama can absolutely win this game. I said over a week ago though that my expectations had been readjusted for a while re: this team and that I wanted them to throttle auburn and anything after that was gravy. I stand by that. This Bama team has serious issues (by Alabama standards). Some are caused by injuries, others aren't (they are mostly caused by lack of maturity). The good news is, the issues are fixable. The bad news is, they aren't fixable this season. This year has been one of Saban's best coaching jobs, even though on paper that may seem like a ridiculous statement. But, Alabama shouldn't (and wouldn't) be 11-1 right now with any other coach IMO. Also wouldn't be 11-1 without Will Anderson and Bryce Young. But, even with his best team, Kirby is still Kirby (meaning he's good for some big game screwups) and football is still football. I expect Bama to show up with some a lot of fight. But while I'm thinking positive and hoping expect Bama beats them so bad the playoff committee drops them to 5th, I think its also fair to be realistic about what the Tide is facing Saturday.
Had to fix a few things for you :). Now that reads much better ... Completely understand you sentiment and if any fan base understands good football it is the Bama fan base. We know what elite teams look like. I also know the effects of a winning tradition and culture which is Bama. That does not go down easily and that is why I believe Bama wins this game.

Had to fix a few things for you :). Now that reads much better ... Completely understand you sentiment and if any fan base understands good football it is the Bama fan base. We know what elite teams look like. I also know the effects of a winning tradition and culture which is Bama. That does not go down easily and that is why I believe Bama wins this game.

A winning tradition does not guarantee a win or somehow give you the benfit of the doubt in a game. Saban said it himself that the past has zero to do with right now. It's all about your prep and mental mindset at that moment. Why do you think tradition or culture is going to get us the W? I keep seeing you say that is the reason over an actual gameplan.

I almost added Bryce to the Anderson comment, but it's rare a defensive player makes that big of an impact (especially on a team like Alabama). And I will add this in regards to UGA... while they are elite and the best team as of today, they are not 2019 LSU level elite or 2020 Alabama level elite (at this point). Better defense then those, but near the weapons and overall dynamic offense.

I'm obviously not feeling great about the OL matchup... Serious concerns about getting Bryce through the whole game in one piece. There just has to be a game plan designed to help facilitate that... Whether it's Milroe, designated runs, screens, trick plays, etc. BOB aside, I just think too highly of CNS to not believe he isn't "thinking outside the box" after what we've seen the last couple of weeks and the loss of BRob.

Where I am optimistic though - Our defense. They looked salty last weekend. Not so much about the backup QB, just the fact that they gave no inches in the run game. If the O doesn't turn it over and gives the D long fields and some opportunities, I really think they're primed to force some TO's and big plays. As noted quite a bit, UGA looked awful offensively against Clemson, which granted was the 1st week.... But I'm just thinking, this D can cause a ton of havoc on Saturday... Especially with Sanders and Ray back in the rotation and adding some legitimate depth and production up front.

A winning tradition does not guarantee a win or somehow give you the benfit of the doubt in a game. Saban said it himself that the past has zero to do with right now. It's all about your prep and mental mindset at that moment. Why do you think tradition or culture is going to get us the W? I keep seeing you say that is the reason over an actual gameplan.
When you train and are part of a culture of excellence it becomes part of who you are. Most of the guys playing this year have been part of the program 1-3 years that has competed at the highest level. They have built into them a belief and never quit attitude. Saban calls this their a competitive spirit. Do they have problems absolutely. Does the culture of excellence and competitive spirit guarantee a win, no. I believe that being part of the bama program under Saban will be the intangible difference maker. UGA is a great team and we may fold like a cheap tent to the mighty Bulldogs but I just do not think it is going to happen. I may be wrong big time and if so it will not be the first or last.

i will say this, this team still hasn't put together a solid 60 minute game anywhere, maybe they finally figure it out this time around? Would be nice to see, they'd be unstoppable like last year's team but with a much better defense.

This game reminds me of the 92 Championship game with Miami. Nobody gave us a chance, all the eggs were in the basket for Miami that year.and, Bama showed up and played lights out all night, just has that feel! Roll Tide! 27-24 Bama! Reichard hits a 55 yard field goal with time running out!

We know Georgia is going to blitz and blitz often on defense. Expect a soft zone from the secondary when they do and possible double coverage on Williams on most other plays as he is the only legit deep threat that we have that actually plays. Additionally, I expect a spy on Bryce throughout the game in case he attempts to scramble. Thats as simple as it gets with stopping BAMA's offense. Georgia doesn't need to dominate BAMA, just get enough stops on offense to outscore them as we don't have multiple quick strike playmakers on this team should we get behind. There is no Smith, Waddle, Jeudy or Ruggs at WR or at returner. We don't have the offensive line that can dictate the line of scrimmage. We don't have a Mr. Do-it-all at RB like Najee Harris and finally, we don't have an offensive coordinator creative enough to exploit mismatches at any level.

Now, there are a few things I believe we can do to make this game more interesting and give ourself the best chance to win. First, I would put Milroe at RB. The guy is 6'2 212 lbs, runs a 4.4. and is better than any option we have at RB with Robinson likely out of this game or extremely limited. Secondly, we must go 4 and 5 wide to space out Georgia's defense. Give Bryce the opportunity to pick them apart, scramble to keep drives going and hit them over the top when possible. Next, I would consider consolidating my best offensive lineman to one side in the jumbo package and use it to run off tackle in short yardage situations. This would allow for an added benefit of the QB bootleg with option to pass to the TE as Georgia would likely start to slant to the strong side. Additionally, it is imperative that we put more speed on the field to keep Georgia honest with their coverage and not crowd the box. I would start Baker or Brooks over Slade and put Leary and Earle (if available) as returners. We need additional home run threats on the field and unfortunately Slade does not provide that, but he would definitely serve as my possession receiver in short yardage situations and in the red zone. Also, Brooks, Baker and Hall are bigger WRs that actually block. Something that seems lost with Williams most of the time. Finally, I would open up the playbook. Tennessee showed that Georgia is extremely susceptible to tempo and that their secondary is good but not dominate. Use tempo to run the hell out of their defensive front and don't allow substitutions and if they try to substitute, use the quick snap for a free 5 yards and send the receivers on go routes. Create an advantage and run them until they start faking injuries or Kirby calls timeout.

These are just some of my thoughts. I believe we have the players to win this game, I just don't know if we have coaches that are open to the necessary changes needed to give use the best opportunity to win this game.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom