| MBB/WBB 📺 NCAA Selection Sunday Show: 6 PM ET on CBS (and streaming.) ~~ Alabama #1 Overall Seed.

As they say there's still time to delete this.

Jerry Palm has UConn as his #17 team. That UConn team beat the #1 team in the nation. It's a team to watch in the tournament. They are a good ball team.

85-90% of the teams in that graphic are going to be dancing. If you were looking ahead at the tournament you knew who to watch.
Why would I delete it? They were a projected 1 seed in the December bracket. Now, staring down the barrel of a 5. Not saying a bad team, but definitely won’t be a 1 seed.

No. It's a committee decision where you're placed.

They do favor #1 seeds citing travel time, etc.

Could swear I've heard Lunardi say during an interview in the last week or 2 that the #1 overall seed does get to pick their first and second round destinations. Maybe I heard wrong, but he was talking about it being a decent advantage over the others.

Could swear I've heard Lunardi say during an interview in the last week or 2 that the #1 overall seed does get to pick their first and second round destinations. Maybe I heard wrong, but he was talking about it being a decent advantage over the others.
That reminds me of an argument years ago—SportsBabe on ESPN Radio days—about Duke and Greensboro one year. Now I'm not sure if I was right. 🤷‍♂️ I can't remember the exact context of the story back then but this rings similarly.

That reminds me of an argument years ago—SportsBabe on ESPN Radio days—about Duke and Greensboro one year. Now I'm not sure if I was right. 🤷‍♂️ I can't remember the exact context of the story back then but this rings similarly.

The Sports Babe... that's a blast from the past. Makes me think of driving up 65 from Mobile to Montgomery, because I remember doing that and her show was the only thing that came in clear on the radio that day. Had to around 1998. I guess I didn't have my portable CD player with me. 😄

We may have hear the same thing, but it wasn't Lunardi. I think I heard it from the guys from The Next Round?

Oats mentioned it tonight on Hey Coach, so it's legit.
Today I learned ...
The Sports Babe... that's a blast from the past. Makes me think of driving up 65 from Mobile to Montgomery, because I remember doing that and her show was the only thing that came in clear on the radio that day. Had to around 1998. I guess I didn't have my portable CD player with me. 😄
She was an indelible personality in the sports radio genre. I first ran across her in NC and then caught her on the ESPN radio affiliate in town. Without the Internet as widely available as it is today, few knew who she really was—certainly not athletic. She was good at her job. She was largely responsible for launching John Clayton's career covering the league.

Off topic a bit ... '98 wasn't the year I was thinking about though it had its controversy. Kentucky won it that year playing the first two rounds in Rupp. They had to go through Duke, I believe, in the Regionals or Semi's being played in Greensboro. I think that's how it played out. I know that was Tubby's NC year.

All three meaningful games tonight.

Mizzou and Arkansas are tied with UArk holding the tie breaker for the tournament—currently a #7 seed. (UArk has the win over UF who is also 7-7.) That puts the tournament winner (UF vs Mizzou) as the first opponent for the #1 seed.

A&M means what it means. A UT road win helps Alabama.

Screenshot 2023-02-21 9.24.37 AM.png

I've been meaning to harp on this for a few days now. I've got a minute.

We've talked about the schedule this season like we do each season with this year being no different: today's RPI has Bama's strength of schedule at #2.

We can credit the staff but at the same time we have to credit the SEC. They've helped, or hurt depending on your view.

Did you realize last Saturday was the first time Alabama had been home in right at a month and a half? Look, playing Tennessee on the road following a road trip to Auburn is no easy task. But those two following four straight Saturday games on the road as well? We've seen those late tips on Wednesday nights followed by early games, on the road, on Saturday.

Fans were screwed although they'll get another Saturday with Bama.

The team? Icing on the cake as to salt in a wound.

Bama has played well this year and needs to do well the rest of the regular season and SEC Tournament. Going to College Station is going to be a challenge for us because they are playing well too this season. All we can do is take care of our business and it will all work out in the end.

Question for those of you that know this better than me: If Alabama finishes the regular season #1, how well must they perform in the SEC tournament to be thr overall #1 seed? Can they afford a loss and still keep it?

Question for those of you that know this better than me: If Alabama finishes the regular season #1, how well must they perform in the SEC tournament to be thr overall #1 seed? Can they afford a loss and still keep it?
Yes and No, depends on how other #1 seeds perform in their tournaments. I would guess Houston wins theirs so likely we'd have to win or be a very close loss in the championship.

Arkansas is at Tennessee Tuesday night. That's of note with State currently ranked at #9 and would face #8 Arkansas Thursday (noon) in the SECT. A loss and they flip spots...we're still looking at Bama facing the winner Friday at noon.

Bama's assured of a share of the SEC title, one win (or A&M loss) away from winning the regular season outright. A&M is on the road at Ole Miss Tuesday night.

Screenshot 2023-02-26 5.02.25 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-02-26 5.03.16 AM.png

Back
Top Bottom