| MBB/WBB 2022 Selection Sunday: Tide Earns No. 6 Seed in 2022 NCAA Tournament (1st Round game is Friday, March 18th.)

RTB.com

Site Administration
Staff
Selection Sunday 2022 for the NCAA DI men's and women's basketball tournament is Sunday, March 13. The 68-team men's field will be announced at 6 p.m. ET on CBS. The women's 68-team field will be announced at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN.

Here is the schedule for the men's tournament:

ROUNDDATECITY
Selection SundayMarch 13N/A
First FourMarch 15-16Dayton, Ohio
First/SecondMarch 17 and 19Buffalo, New York
First/SecondMarch 17 and 19Cincinnati, Ohio
First/SecondMarch 17 and 19Fort Worth, Texas
First/SecondMarch 17 and 19Portland, Oregon
First/SecondMarch 18 and 20Greenville, South Carolina
First/SecondMarch 18 and 20Milwaukee, Wisconsin
First/SecondMarch 18 and 20Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
First/SecondMarch 18 and 20San Diego, California
Sweet 16/Elite EightMarch 24 and 26San Antonio, Texas
Sweet 16/Elite EightMarch 24 and 26San Francisco, California
Sweet 16/Elite EightMarch 25 and 27Chicago, Illinois
Sweet 16/Elite EightMarch 25 and 27Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Final FourApril 2 and 4New Orleans

FNWyDThXMAwzPpu

FNWyEE8XEAIQMjQ

FNWyEz_UUAA0K29

FNWyFeoVIAYnO6D

I found this on Twitter the other day about the selection process.

For all of you bracketologists out there, here are some principles and procedures, and other little nuggets, to remember as you try and predict what the committee will do (or display what you would do if you were in charge).

First, remember the committee has expanded from 10 to 12 members. So when the initial ballot is cast Wednesday, this is how we create our "boards," though to be clear there are no actual boards in the room. Years ago, there were boards and schools were placed on them using Velcro

Any team receiving all but 3 eligible votes as an at-large team is moved into the tournament field as an at-large selection. That's 9 of 12 votes for most teams but UCLA, for example, needs 8 of 11 because their AD (@MartinJarmond) is on the committee and can't vote for UCLA.

The "under consideration” board consists of teams that received at least 4 votes as at-large or under consideration (but did not receive enough votes to be an at-large team), or won the regular-season conference championship (1 seeds in their tournaments when there is a tie).

Then the committee spends the next few days going back and forth between selecting teams from under consideration and moving them into the field, and seeding those teams into the field. At various points, they will scrub the seed list, comparing teams next to each other.

On Sunday (and never sooner, and only after the seed list has been finalized 1-68), the bracketing process starts. There are contingencies in place based on outcomes of Sunday's games. Those might determine who's a 1 seed, or maybe any other seed or even who gets in the field.

Some important bracketing principles: 1. Teams from the same league that are seeded 1-4 automatically go in separate regions. In other words, if Gonzaga is a 1 seed, BYU is a 2, San Francisco is a 3 and St. Mary's is a 4, they all go in separate regions.

2. If teams from the same conference played 3 times during the season, they can't play until the Elite 8. If they played 2x, they can't play until the Sweet 16. If they played once, they can't play until the 2nd round. These counts include conference tournament games.

3. Any principle can be relaxed if two or more teams from the same conference are among the last four at-large seeded teams participating in the First Four.

4. A team will not be permitted to play in any facility in which it has played more than three games during its season, not including exhibitions and conference postseason tournaments.

5. A host institution’s team shall not be permitted to play at the site where the institution is hosting. If Duquesne makes the tournament, they can't be sent to Pittsburgh because they are hosting. It's OK if a conference is the host (Pac-12 teams can play in San Francisco).

6. The best of the two seeds (the overall No. 5 team on the seed list) can’t be assigned to the same region as the overall No. 1 seed. Only the overall No. 1 gets its wish granted when it submitted their preferred first and second-round site and its preferred regional site.

For a full list of the selection, seeding and bracket principles and procedures, go here: ncaa.com/_flysystem/pub…. Enjoy the Madness, everyone.

Looks like Bama plays Rutgers/ND winner. If they get past that game then likely play Arkansas if I am reading things correctly. My opinion - 50/50 winning the first game. About 1% chance of making it to the 2nd weekend. Would love to be wrong.

The West has Gonzaga, Duke, Texas Tech and Arkansas as the top 4 seeds.

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The University of Alabama men's basketball team earned the No. 6 seed in the 2022 NCAA Tournament and will face the winner of No. 11 seeds Notre Dame and Rutgers on Friday, March 18, in San Diego, Calif. The exact tipoff time and television designation will be announced at a later date.

The Crimson Tide (19-13) earned the No. 6 seed in the West Region one year after garnering the No. 2 seed in last year's NCAA Tournament. It is not only the first time earning consecutive tournament appearances in 15 years, dating back to 2005 and 2006, but the first time in 30 years earning back-to-back NCAA Tournament seeds of No. 6 or better (was a No. 4 seed in 1991 and No. 5 seed in 1992).

It marks the 22nd NCAA Tournament appearance in program history, with Alabama owning a record of 21-21 (.500). The Crimson Tide's 2004 team is the only squad in program history to reach the Elite 8 while UA has appeared in the Sweet 16 eight times including a year ago.

NCAA Tournament Notes

• The tournament appearance is the Tide's 22nd in program history and second in as many years after earning a spot in last year's Sweet 16 (No. 2 seed)
  • The winner of the Alabama vs. Rutgers/Notre Dame game will advance to face the winner of the matchup between No. 3 Texas Tech and No. 14 Montana State on Sunday, March 20
  • This is Nate Oats' fifth NCAA Tournament appearance as a head coach, with the others coming in 2016, 2018 and 2019 at Buffalo, as well as the 2021 and 2022 seasons at Alabama
  • This will mark the Tide's second appearance in San Diego's Aztec Arena, last appearing in 2006 as a No. 10 seed when UA defeated No. 7 Marquette (90-86) before falling to No. 2 UCLA (62-59)

An observation:

This season when folks have been discussing the Tide's losses we've seen a few things pointed to: lack of defense, turnovers, and free throws were the most often mentioned. How many of those faults were the result of it being a "bad match-up?" This season it was rarely about the team Alabama was playing but the Alabama team we saw play.

I'll contend if we do see an early exit it's not because of a bad match-up, it's because of how this team plays.

An observation:

This season when folks have been discussing the Tide's losses we've seen a few things pointed to: lack of defense, turnovers, and free throws were the most often mentioned. How many of those faults were the result of it being a "bad match-up?" This season it was rarely about the team Alabama was playing but the Alabama team we saw play.

I'll contend if we do see an early exit it's not because of a bad match-up, it's because of how this team plays.

I rarely buy the bad matchup argument. The reason? If you wanna be a Championship caliber team, you just gotta be better. You will never line up every best matchup and win a Championship, you have to be well-rounded and have the game to beat anyone. No one is a good matchup when you're not a Championship caliber team. We have played bad against any matchup this season. Not sure if that's what you're trying to say, but we couldn't have drawn a more difficult path I don't think, but I also feel we aren't very deserving of making it to the field of 32 either.

I rarely buy the bad matchup argument. The reason? If you wanna be a Championship caliber team, you just gotta be better. You will never line up every best matchup and win a Championship, you have to be well-rounded and have the game to beat anyone. No one is a good matchup when you're not a Championship caliber team. We have played bad against any matchup this season. Not sure if that's what you're trying to say, but we couldn't have drawn a more difficult path I don't think, but I also feel we aren't very deserving of making it to the field of 32 either.

Its funny...tome....how this team had same things football team had...
Good stretches in a game and not so good...
about the only resemblance though...

Some great wins....when 3s and FTs are falling...
Maybe....just maybe....

A team that's won games against two of the four #1 seeds (including the highest seeded team overall) in a tournament isn't deserving of making it to the final 32 of the same tournament? That doesn't make sense to me: it's flying in the face of conventional wisdom. They've literally won against half of the team considered the best four in college basketball. It's the very definition of "deserved" and "earned."

What I was saying earlier is that also doesn't make sense seeing how this season's losses were attributed to the teams' failures while it hasn't been about who they were playing up until today, it was about how they were playing.

An observation:

If Bama had UT's point guard or even A&M's (instead of the two we have) then things would be much different. We need to be playing teams that don't challenge out PG's. That list would be short and none in the Dance.

A team that's won games against two of the four #1 seeds (including the highest seeded team overall) in a tournament isn't deserving of making it to the final 32 of the same tournament? That doesn't make sense to me: it's flying in the face of conventional wisdom. They've literally won against half of the team considered the best four in college basketball. It's the very definition of "deserved" and "earned."

What I was saying earlier is that also doesn't make sense seeing how this season's losses were attributed to the teams' failures while it hasn't been about who they were playing up until today, it was about how they were playing.

I get your point. We did beat some good teams, but that good will is gone to those that have watched this team. It's as if it doesn't exist anymore, because after those wins we did nothing but fall hard. We are deserving because we beat Gonzaga and Baylor, but lost to Georgia and Memphis? Every team in the country lost a headscratcher this season for the most part, so maybe we aren't as good as we think, maybe we just caught those teams on a bad night. Shackelford just shot out of his shoes against Gonzaga. We are 12-12 since that game. Hey, great, we beat Gonzaga. I had higher hopes and was looking for more than that this season. That meant something when we thought our team was a Top 10 team, but their nosedive shows a different reality.

We played a man's schedule this year. I applaud that route as it gave us fans a fun opportunity to watch higher profile games. It still doesn't excuse a loss to Missouri, Georgia, and Memphis. I can accept the Auburn and Kentucky type losses, even the loss to Iona. While LSU struggled, they still had a very athletic team, so I'm fine with losing to them. The rest are just not acceptable to me. Up 13 to Vanderbilt in the SEC Tournament, careless ballhandling, fouling, and just giving up on defense is not a tournament type team if you ask me. This clip I'm trying to paste won't work. but the 12-12 ending to our season doesn't inspire me to think we belong in the Field of 32 if we can even get past Rutgers/Notre Dame.

The 9-9 well really 9-10 sec record shows this team is average at best. Been that way since January. Not drinking the kool-aid any longer from the early OOC games. This is not the same team that we saw in December for whatever reason.

I hate it, because I want to see these guys do well, even if just for themselves. They have the ability, we've seen it. It just doesn't appear some of them care any longer. You can't win even when four of the five care. Everyone has to care. I have tried being positive all season long, but this SEC Tournament Vanderbilt loss really soured me. You could see it plain as day that some of those guys quit after the first half, which is nuts to me after seeing the result of their tough defense and good offensive showing. When coach is having to bench who you thought were leaders of the team and still calling out effort late in the season you just don't have what it takes.

Back
Top Bottom