| MBB/WBB 2022 Selection Sunday: Tide Earns No. 6 Seed in 2022 NCAA Tournament (1st Round game is Friday, March 18th.)

If Bama had UT's point guard or even A&M's (instead of the two we have) then things would be much different.
I get what you're saying but let's edit it a tad, shall we?

If Bama had Bama's third point guard things would likely be much different. But that's only a part of the picture. We can talk about the impact of losing Burnett. That was big. If we do we need to talk about Gary: he still doesn't look like himself. And then there's Primo: a player who few felt would be ready for the transition to the league.

A lot of nuts and bolts in this season to unpack.

If we do we need to talk about Gary: he still doesn't look like himself.
Insiders have said that Gary is dealing with an injury that should be announced after the season. As a result, his minutes have declined. He may transfer since he's really not an ideal fit for what Oats wants in a wing, but he's also one of the few players on the roster that has bought completely in.
And then there's Primo: a player who few felt would be ready for the transition to the league.
Primo 100% made the right decision in coming out, but when he was initially recruited by the staff, they expected him to be with the program at least two years. Oats supported his decision to declare, but he was also another guard that had great handles and was a good off ball defender. Him leaving hurt us more than anyone would like to admit.

I watched more than normal...
...i really disagree to some extint about this team...blaming all on TOs and sloppy ball handling...all valid...

But

A lot of games won had sloppy ball handlings and TOs
...but ...
dang it....in losses bama had open-shots.. 3s..over and over... and they just didn't fall...period. And it was contagious....
.....FTs....like vs Vandy.... missed and missed and missed

Fast pace style....creates open shots...with some turnovers...
But
Doesnt help if you cant make shots

I watched more than normal...
...i really disagree to some extint about this team...blaming all on TOs and sloppy ball handling...all valid...

But

A lot of games won had sloppy ball handlings and TOs
...but ...
dang it....in losses bama had open-shots.. 3s..over and over... and they just didn't fall...period. And it was contagious....
.....FTs....like vs Vandy.... missed and missed and missed

Fast pace style....creates open shots...
Doesnt help if you cant make shots
The problem with this season's team missing shots is it affects them on the other end. The squad isn't disciplined or mentally tough, which is what Oats demands out of his players. Last season in late January and February, the team shot poorly but still won games. Leadership, chemistry, and max effort were the reasons. This year's team just doesn't get that. We could 100% come out against Rutgers/Notre Dame playing with great energy in the first half, then come out in the second half completely flat. It's their identity this season. Biggest reason we're capable of beating the likes of Baylor and Gonzaga, then being Georgia's only win in conference.

Primo 100% made the right decision in coming out, but when he was initially recruited by the staff, they expected him to be with the program at least two years. Oats supported his decision to declare, but he was also another guard that had great handles and was a good off ball defender. Him leaving hurt us more than anyone would like to admit.

Why do you say Primo absolutely made the right decision out of curiosity?

Revisionist history now because at the time, I would have said he should return. But he ended up being a lottery pick, so it's always the right decision if that happens.

JD should 100% return.

I was shocked he was a lottery pick, but I felt he could have benefitted from another year as well. As you stated, looking back now he made a good decision rather than getting stuck with this team.

I just never felt he was that much of a presence for us, and felt if he continued to add some weight and get better he could have been a Top 10 pick. For some reason I thought he was picked in the 20's, but I now see he was #12. Yeah, that's hard to beat, especially with what he did in college. That was definitely the right decision looking back, you're right.

The problem with this season's team missing shots is it affects them on the other end. The squad isn't disciplined or mentally tough, which is what Oats demands out of his players. Last season in late January and February, the team shot poorly but still won games. Leadership, chemistry, and max effort were the reasons. This year's team just doesn't get that. We could 100% come out against Rutgers/Notre Dame playing with great energy in the first half, then come out in the second half completely flat. It's their identity this season. Biggest reason we're capable of beating the likes of Baylor and Gonzaga, then being Georgia's only win in conference.
Agree...
Have to have that cornerback memory.... forget what happened on last play...

It seems when shots quit falling...affect everything

I hate it, because I want to see these guys do well, even if just for themselves. They have the ability, we've seen it. It just doesn't appear some of them care any longer. You can't win even when four of the five care. Everyone has to care. I have tried being positive all season long, but this SEC Tournament Vanderbilt loss really soured me. You could see it plain as day that some of those guys quit after the first half, which is nuts to me after seeing the result of their tough defense and good offensive showing. When coach is having to bench who you thought were leaders of the team and still calling out effort late in the season you just don't have what it takes.
Hard for me to buy they do not care. Now does lack of success impact their effort or impact their confidence? Could it be that is being viewed as not caring? It could but a confident player plays faster where as a player w/o confidence hesitates. That is not the same as not caring.

I'm not in the locker room but I have watched 99% of the games. I think there are a few players on this team having poor attitudes and could be perceived as not caring.

Hard for me to buy they do not care. Now does lack of success impact their effort or impact their confidence? Could it be that is being viewed as not caring? It could but a confident player plays faster where as a player w/o confidence hesitates. That is not the same as not caring.

I just can't see how a team that goes up by 13, is up by that in the second half keeps making careless mistakes and quits doing the successful parts that got them up by that margin. They care in the beginning, but lose interest it seems. Their shoulders sink throughout the game, their facial expressions change, their feet are no longer moving like before, it's a big let down. Keon Ellis plays his but off. Rojas plays his butt off, Bediako plays his butt off, and a couple others do as well, but it doesn't seem like the main point and shooting guards are all that excited.

He's not. No one includes post-season records with conference records except for the RPI computer.
I missed the lone December SEC matchup, so we were 9-9 vs 8-9. Lunardi is correct.

On a side note. He got 67 of 68 teams correct again for the second consecutive year. I think his Miss was A&M. Missed a few seedlings but only 1 or 2 by more than one seeding deviation. That’s strong!

Back
Top Bottom