| FTBL I'm getting a Frank Beamer/ Va Tech vibe coming from Sark about Saturday's game.

TerryP

Staff
And I hate to say it, Mike Farrell agrees.

Back in 2013, a few weeks before Alabama played VT to open the season, Beamer pointed out how the game against the Tide wouldn't have a bearing on the Hokies season and their ultimate goals.

It struck me as funny when I read the transcript of the press conference. I mentioned here, "it looks like he's already resigned himself to taking a loss against Bama." In the end they fell by four scores to the Tide.

This week Sark said something very similar. "One game" along with the comment "it won't define our program" gives me the same impression: he's already resigned himself to a Bama win. He's right, the loss technically won't affect their chances at making the Big 12 title game. Beamer thought the same as he watched his team finish the '13 season with five losses.

“It’s one chance, a chance to do what we love to do. This is not a game that will necessarily define our program. It might and it might not. But our goal is to be in Dallas on Dec. 3 (for the Big 12 championship). This game has no impact on that.”

Farrell took Sark's comments the same way I did.

Steve Sarkisian is preparing fans for a blowout loss.​

Farrell’s take: FACT

I like Sark. I want him to win at Texas. A good Texas program is good for college football. But that doesn’t mean I’m not going to share my thoughts and his comments about this upcoming game against Alabama not going to define this program reeks of early preparation for the fan base for a blowout loss. Sark could have said “this will be a great indicator of how close we are to where we want to be” or anything similar and I’d be okay. But what he said kind of has a negative connotation and that’s just a bad way to start a big week. We all expect Alabama to rout Texas but many of us expected Ohio State to run Notre Dame out of Columbus. You never know how a game will play out so let’s pump the brakes on guarding against this game as being a defining moment.

Back
Top Bottom