| FTBL Phillip Marshall shares his tears about Auburn

18Champs

Open favoritism, which would get you fired in the days of newspapers, is now embraced. The national guys loved Nick Saban. They love Jim Harbaugh. Thus, we got days and days of gushing about Saban after he retired. Now we get stories saying it doesn’t really matter that Harbaugh was suspended twice and that his program flagrantly ignored the rules before he fled to the NFL ahead of the NCAA posse.

And don’t get me started on the Deion Sanders love that, while muted by a 4-8 record and a five-person high school signing class, is still out there. Just wait until he wins a game. At least, maybe we won’t hear anymore about every prospect in the country wanting to play for him.

The ESPN announcers decided the best thing to do at the Auburn-Alabama game on Wednesday was a long interview with Alabama quarterback Jaden Milroe. When it was over, finally, they continued on about how great he was and said he should have picked up some Heisman Trophy votes from that interview. Others wrote or said that Alabama coaches let the top-ranked quarterback in the country leave because they didn’t want him to stay, even though the same head coach offered him a scholarship at Washington. You can’t make some of this stuff up.

None of this matters all that much. Or does it?

It is millions of dollars worth of free publicity, all positive, for a select few coaches and their programs. The unspoken message to recruits is that, if you are really good, you go to Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia, etc. And now Michigan, which won its first consensus national championship since 1947 and then lost its coach.

It’s a sad state of affairs, and I fear it is only going to get worse.

Was this a Phillip Marshall article? Marshall chose to align himself with the Barn so deal with it. Greatness is earned through resluts and whining Barn cult has not earned it.

Regardless of who wrote what.
The very first sentence says it all
" open favoritism ". Watch any of 4 networks
News isnt really news reporting anymore. Its bias " open favoritism ".
Political reporting on subjects that favor your candidate.

I agree with article. Almost .... not really though. They interviewed
Milroe to fill in time

Back
Top Bottom