| FTBL The new CFP rankings, 2 more weekends of games, and where things stand from my view...

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Staff
Ok, there's just 2 weekends worth of games left... I admit the window for chaos is closing, but chaos doesn't give a shit about windows. Chaos arrives in the form of Ernest T. Bass, and he's right around the corner picking out a rock.

Let's look again, team by team, at the team's in front of Alabama... what they have ahead of them, and what could happen.

Before I go any further, some of this will be opinion based. Feel free to disagree in part or in whole, hold onto the receipts, and call me out if I'm ultimately wrong. Or, better yet, submit your own reply and give your reasoning for a different possible outcome(s). Either way, I'm ok with it.

Utah dropped out of the top 25, that hurts Oregon. LSU and Ole Miss both move up a spot respectively... helping both Alabama and Georgia. Of most significance, although not surprising, Washington and Florida State swapped spots. This matters because it shows that as this winds down, the committee will leap frog teams even when both won their respective games. That's a data point that bodes well for Alabama if the Tide can keep on winning...

1. Georgia- They end the season at Georgia Tech. They could play their backups all 4 quarters and win by 17. Then it's off to the friendly confines of Atlanta for a meeting with Alabama... more on that shortly, but obviously, if they win both games they are 100% into the playoffs and should be the #1 seed in that scenario.

2. Ohio State- They travel to Michigan on Saturday, the winner advances to the conference championship game against Iowa. I could see either team winning, and it doesn't really matter who... but the winner, barring a literal miracle, will walk into the playoffs after a win over the anemic Iowa Hawkeyes. The loser gets stabbed with a fork, especially if it's Michigan. [99% chance a playoff spot is taken by the Buckeyes or Wolverines]

3. Michigan- See above. One will advance, one is almost a lock to fall out of the top 4.

4. Washington- Washington hosts Washington State this weekend. About the only slight glimmer of hope for a UW loss here is that it's a rivalry game (where strange things can happen), but even then, it would likely take Penix getting hurt early and still some luck for the Cougars to pull it off. Washington will almost certainly win and play Oregon (again) in the conference championship game the following week. This is where it gets a little tricky... If UW were to beat Oregon again, a scenario I find unlikely, it would eliminate the Ducks and secure a top 4 spot for the Huskies. However, if the Ducks win their rematch, as I expect, it gives Oregon a much needed quality win and negates (to a degree) their earlier close loss to the same UW squad. This would put Oregon in a very strong position to steal the #4 seed spot in the playoffs.

5. Florida State- The Noles finish the season at Florida. Both teams are now down to their backup QB's, but I liked the Gators in this spot even before the injuries. Gainesville, at night, and UF needing that 6th win in a rivalry game with Napier's back against the wall? Give me the Gators in the upset. Maybe FSU still wins by 30, but I like the way this game has been setting up for the last month. If the Gators pull do off the win, the Noles are toast. However, if FSU can get it done, they'll go on to face Louisville in the conference championship. With Jordan Travis, I'd have the Noles there 7.5 times out of 10... without him, that game becomes much scarier for them. I think Louisville is stronger on paper than they are on the field, but they're still plenty good enough to beat a Travis-less FSU team. The Seminoles can't afford a loss in either game, but if they win both, I don't see how the committee leaves them out of the top 4, even though they'd get humiliated. My prediction, they drop 1 of the 2 games and don't get in.

6. Oregon- They wrap up the season at home against Oregon State. I don't see a great path for the Beavers to get the upset win here... Oregon's defense is better, their QB is better, and they're at home. Most likely, as mentioned above, this leads us back to an Oregon v. Washington rematch for the conference title where the loser leaves town.

7. Texas- Texas finishes up at home to Texas Tech. Seems like every game right now for the Longhorns is tricky, but they should handle Tech, especially at home. It is about time for another Ewers injury again though... just saying. The Longhorns would then play Oklahoma State (assuming they beat BYU*) for the conference championship. Who the hell knows what Cowboy team shows up... they have the ability to beat the Longhorns by 14 or lose to them by 48. Unlike 2 weeks ago, I don't have much confidence in Gundy and Oklahoma State tripping Texas up, but stranger things have happened. A Texas win would put them on the right side of the 4 team bubble, IMO. [*there are scenarios where Oklahoma or Kansas can get to the titl game too if Oklahoma State loses, and while that seems unlikely, this Jekyll and Hyde Cowboy team is capable of losing to or beating any team in that conference]

8. Alabama- Obviously, the Tide finishes the season at auburn on Saturday. Bama should win, and must win to stay alive for the playoffs. I still look at the SEC Championship as a de facto 1st round playoff game. If Alabama loses, they are out, everyone agrees there. But, if Alabama can beat Georgia, an undefeated team, 2x defending champions, and a squad that would be carrying a 29 game win streak on their shoulders... it would be, IMO, the most impressive win in college football all season. It would carry tremendous weight, and it would vault Alabama ahead of Georgia. But the question would be, to what spot? And, how far would UGA fall? Some of that, for both schools, would depend on how the game itself played out.

To wrap up, it's clear that Alabama must win out and even with that, to comfortably be in the top 4, they need some help. Best, reasonable case scenario... Ohio State beats Michigan, Michigan out/Ohio State in. FSU loses one of their next two games, FSU out. Washington beats Oregon, Washington in/Oregon out. Texas wins out, Texas in. Alabama beats auburn and Georgia, Alabama in/Georgia out. If it plays out like that...

#1 Ohio State
#2 Washington
#3 Texas
#4 Alabama
----------------
#5 Georgia
#6 Michigan

Lastly, if Bama wins out, but they still end up with a log jam in front of them (Texas & FSU win out for example) and it becomes a real possibility that Alabama may not get in... I'll admit that the selection committee makes me a bit nervous with its ridiculous makeup of selected members. But, I'll also add that while Sankey ain't in the room, he's still the most powerful person in college athletics. To think his opinion of the matter (while looking at the possibility of the SEC getting shut out of the playoffs with the 2 best teams) won't hold weight with what ultimately happens in that room would be rather naive.

All great

But the CFP committee job is " best 4
Teams ". They failed that last year...

Who beat who in September doesn't decide best 4.

Texas and uga are bamas biggest obstacles

If nothing happens chaos wise. Bama may be left out. But if they put a fsu out of acc. In over oregon or bama.

The fear of committee is coming full circle

Oregon St is no push over and is a scrappy team. I hope they can beat Oregon (2 losses) then Oregon can beat Washington in the Pac CG. That would be some turmoil. I don't know what the likelyhood would be, but maybe Louisville can pull of the upset in the ACCCG over FSU......If those 2 scenarios happen.......I think it would insure Alabama getting in, providing they win out.......but I think it would then set up for a pissing contest for UGA or the loser of the OSU/UM game to make it in with one loss.

Oregon St is no push over and is a scrappy team. I hope they can beat Oregon (2 losses) then Oregon can beat Washington in the Pac CG. That would be some turmoil. I don't know what the likelyhood would be, but maybe Louisville can pull of the upset in the ACCCG over FSU......If those 2 scenarios happen.......I think it would insure Alabama getting in, providing they win out.......but I think it would then set up for a pissing contest for UGA or the loser of the OSU/UM game to make it in with one loss.

I still firmly hold onto the belief that there is a much greater chance that Bama doesn't win out than Bama wins out and gets left out of the top 4. Winning these next 2 should be the main concern... it is for me anyway.

This latest ranking effectively makes it a win-&-you’re-in scenario for much of the CFP Top 8:
OSU-Michigan/B1G winner is in.
UGA-Alabama/SEC winner is in.
Washington-Oregon/P12 winner is in.
4th spot goes to either FSU or Texas if both win out. And if Bama is in, so is Texas.

That pretty much it.

I'm not convinced that a Bama win vaults them ahead of UGA.
It would. Like Brandon said, our main concern should be the teams in front of us. The committee has continuously put Oregon in front of both Texas and Alabama, despite their resumes being superior. They've shown they have no problem continuing to do this each week. A Georgia win would/should sway their thinking of it were to come down between the two, but I'm uneasy about that situation if thats how it were to play out.

I’m just focusing on Saturday!! I will say that if BAMA wins out, like @Brandon Van de Graaff said, we’re in when you take in to account that we would’ve beaten the 2x Champ with a 29 game win streak! If that shit doesn’t carry any weight, blow up this CFP bullshit forever!!! Doesn’t matter if it’s a 4,6,8 or even the 12 team format!!

As I have noted in a previous posting, this Bama team is not the same team as in the beginning of the season. A team in search of an QB and an identity. The identity and QB have been established. Now, imho, it's just Bama fatigue and a bit of disrespect that has kept Bama mired in the lower Top Ten. Concerning Ga., when Bama beats them, and Bama is not in the CFP, that same disrespect and fatigue will be Bama's misfortune. Oh well, I thought Bama would have been a better choice last year that at least one other Team that did make the PO. Could it happen again...yes. As UAgrad93 noted, it's CFP bullschtein. That being said, there's another game before the first PO Game...UGa. ROLL TIDE, Beat A*, MTAQ!

One at a time. Beat the barn in dominating fashion then on to the next one. I think it will play out but gotta beat the barn in the cow pasture.

With that said big picture hard to believe a 1 loss SEC champion would not be included. I understand the sentiment why it may happen but hard to imagine.

I’m just focusing on Saturday!! I will say that if BAMA wins out, like @Brandon Van de Graaff said, we’re in when you take in to account that we would’ve beaten the 2x Champ with a 29 game win streak! If that shit doesn’t carry any weight, blow up this CFP bullshit forever!!! Doesn’t matter if it’s a 4,6,8 or even the 12 team format!!

IMO. The only thing the committee is hoping for is Bama winning out with a win over Georgia in the SEC championship game. Doesn’t matter about Ohio St. and Michigan. They’re both in no matter what happens. The other 2 spots are between Washington, Oregon, Florida St. and Texas. Their #1 goal is to have a 4 team playoff without an SEC participant.

IMO. The only thing the committee is hoping for is Bama winning out with a win over Georgia in the SEC championship game. Doesn’t matter about Ohio St. and Michigan. They’re both in no matter what happens. The other 2 spots are between Washington, Oregon, Florida St. and Texas. Their #1 goal is to have a 4 team playoff without an SEC participant.
No way Both Ohio St and Michigan get in. Committee likely wants an OSU win Saturday so they don’t have to explain dropping them for their cheating scandal.

Best 4 teams was the original mantra

Now...the metrics are more important....

3 factors are against Bama right now....
1...beating uga...and thats a biggie
2...the September...loss to Texas
3...the committee has fallen in love with oregon and Bo

Like last year...using metrics to get best 4....instead of watching CF ( remember the TCU team over a much better bama team committee)

Why would that be their goal?
Of course all of this is just IMO. This committee would like to have 2 in, of any conference except the SEC. This year 2 from Big 10 and then either 1 from Pac12 (Washington or Oregon) and then 1 from the Big12 ( Texas). As for Florida St. they are trying to slowly drop them. This committee has proven over the years that the metrics they say they use to get the “BEST” 4 teams is not true. Again, IMO they use “feelings” with some teams instead of SOS, conference championships ( just look at last year’s Big 12 championship game) teams vs top 25 and etc. I would wish the majority of their decision was based on what teams are doing now instead of September, the SOS, and how they did against top 15 teams. The committee should take into consideration teams that mostly play cupcake schedules, whether or not they are in their conference. Sure Michigan and Ohio St. are good teams but they should not be given the green light for beating a 5-6 Nebraska team or teams like Indiana and Purdue with 3-8 records.

Someone will appreciate this. I walk into my in-laws house last night. Within 2 minutes, my FIL starts on about Bama’s chances for the playoffs and how the committee is going to screw them. He asks what I think about it. I spend 10 minutes explaining him that if Bama wins out, everything will probably be ok, but that there’s no grand conspiracy to keep the Tide from the top 4. He begrudgingly agrees.

Tonight, we stop back by. Within 2 minutes, he says he’s worried about Alabama getting screwed by the committee and getting left out of the top 4. He asks what I think. I told him I agreed 100%, Bama is screwed.

Someone will appreciate this. I walk into my in-laws house last night. Within 2 minutes, my FIL starts on about Bama’s chances for the playoffs and how the committee is going to screw them. He asks what I think about it. I spend 10 minutes explaining him that if Bama wins out, everything will probably be ok, but that there’s no grand conspiracy to keep the Tide from the top 4. He begrudgingly agrees.

Tonight, we stop back by. Within 2 minutes, he says he’s worried about Alabama getting screwed by the committee and getting left out of the top 4. He asks what I think. I told him I agreed 100%, Bama is screwed.
I learned a long time ago, never, I repeat never argue with your FIL!

Back
Top Bottom