| FOOD Best BBQ in Alabama?

^Must remember this. Aside from the catfish, everything else sounds perfect. Love me some good, homemade hush puppies, good vinegar based slaw(only mayo based I have ever liked is the slaw at Top O The River) and good pulled pork that needs no sauce. In fact, that is the way all bbq meat should be done.

If you are ever driving along I-20 at the TX/LA line, Jim's BBQ and Catfish in Waskom, TX is worth a stop. First exit heading west into Texas, just off the interstate. Don't eat the BBQ, get the spicy fried catfish. It is outstanding, along with the green tomato relish.

RTR,

Tim

2AE1F324-1517-4D2F-957D-7A955CA15EF1.jpegEF872173-840A-424D-835D-07075E4C018C.jpeg3D37573E-23BF-4FF3-BAB6-DC7A84B313B4.jpeg6BD45715-F67A-47B8-8E90-9D5DA1021A07.jpeg

@planomateo, thought about you yesterday when we visited the Chuckwagon BBQ in Madison, Alabama. First time we'd ever had BBQ brisket and it was delicious. The meat was so tender and burned just right on the outside. Delicious. I had already eaten all the "good" outside meat when my wife reminded me to take the picture. We got there at 11:50 and there were 20 people in line ahead of us. And the line stayed constant the whole time we were there. This guy is from Texas and has been in Alabama for about 25 years. The line winds around the tables and when you've ordered, the meat is cut right in front of you.
A guy in line asked if we'd ever eaten there before and we replied that we hadn't. He said to be sure and try the sauce on the brisket so I did. My wife won't add sauce unless she just has to but I did on the side after he made the recommendation. The red sauce was slightly sweet and had a bite to it, a little more than I like. The thin white sauce is much better and would be really good on his chicken. I liked it on the brisket but the meat really didn't need any help.
The vinegar slaw was a very good complement to the brisket and potato salad was just potato salad. You're offered either jalepeno cornbread muffin or toast. The muffin has really good. He's not stingy with his meat portions either, I had plenty and my wife couldn't finish hers so it came home with us.
It's also expensive. The plate I have a picture of was $13.50. But it was really good brisket, Texas style in Alabama.

Last edited:
I know competition BBQ is very different from “normal” BBQ, but I’ll be quite honest, I’ve never been blown away by the pork (ribs or pulled pork) offered up at Big Bob Gibson’s restaurants. I will say his chicken his hard to beat though and I am a big fan of Chris Lilly.
That is one thing I have not had is his white sauce. I know it got to be good to many here like it here. This summer I'm going up to Pisgah,Al. to help rebuild a church that was hit by a tornadoes. So tell me when a good place to eat at?

The original Full Moon in Bham before Pat James sold out, was excellent in my book. Not so much now days. I found two places last June, a little out of the way though, as my brother and I traveled through Wyoming. Dickey's in Laramie was great as was Bubba's in Cody. Check them out if you're ever in that part of the country.

Back
Top Bottom