| FOOD Best BBQ in Alabama?

View attachment 6008 View attachment 6009 I know the title of this thread in Best BBQ in Alabama but I'll throw this joint in from Franklin, TN. We were headed to the Cool Springs Mall, just south of Nashville, and she Googled "Best BBQ in Franklin and this place came up. About 6 miles off I-65 but well worth the trip. The BBQ was delicious and they offered a white or red sauce with your sandwich. Besides the BBQ they have a smoked bologna sandwich too and, please forgive me, I liked it better than the BBQ. I had almost eaten it up when I thought to take a picture of it. Man, it was good.

We had a crazy good brunch in Franklin last year coming home from a weekend on the strip, I'll have to remember the name, just off the little two-lane main drag.

I know competition BBQ is very different from “normal” BBQ, but I’ll be quite honest, I’ve never been blown away by the pork (ribs or pulled pork) offered up at Big Bob Gibson’s restaurants. I will say his chicken his hard to beat though and I am a big fan of Chris Lilly. I have a LOT of respect for what he’s done... also own a couple of his cook/BBQ books which I’ve gotten some good tips and ideas from. No doubt he’s a true pit boss. I would love to have a nice big helping of his competition pork to see what it tastes like...

I know competition BBQ is very different from “normal” BBQ, but I’ll be quite honest, I’ve never been blown away by the pork (ribs or pulled pork) offered up at Big Bob Gibson’s restaurants. I will say his chicken his hard to beat though and I am a big fan of Chris Lilly. I have a LOT of respect for what he’s done... also own a couple of his cook/BBQ books which I’ve gotten some good tips and ideas from. No doubt he’s a true pit boss. I would love to have a nice big helping of his competition pork to see what it tastes like...

I agree, when we eat BBQ, which is quite often, Big Bob Gibson is never our first choice. It's good but there are a few others around here I'd rather have when I have a choice. My wife has said the same thing about wanting to taste his competition BBQ. The 5 Grand Championships with the competition he faces in Memphis is quite impressive.

I have taken BBG's white sauce and had people compare it to mine in a blind tasting and I have yet to lose one. Not a big sampling, less than a 100. However, I took it to a family reunion/4th July bbq down in Clanton and everyone looked at me like I had farted in church. No one would even try it.

I have taken BBG's white sauce and had people compare it to mine in a blind tasting and I have yet to lose one. Not a big sampling, less than a 100. However, I took it to a family reunion/4th July bbq down in Clanton and everyone looked at me like I had farted in church. No one would even try it.

Well, they’re crazy. A good white sauce on some smoked chicken is heaven.

Up in my area, around Ft Payne, go for Sally's Smokin Butts BBQ. Also, Barry's BBQ is pretty good, up in the Rainsville/Fyffe area. It is out in the middle of nowhere and only open Thurs-Sun.

Up in my area, around Ft Payne, go for Sally's Smokin Butts BBQ. Also, Barry's BBQ is pretty good, up in the Rainsville/Fyffe area. It is out in the middle of nowhere and only open Thurs-Sun.

When I was growing up in Gadsden it was "Penny Profit BBQ" that was the best. The hood rats ended up putting her out of business, got to be too dangerous to go in the neighborhood.

Back
Top Bottom