| FOOD Best BBQ in Alabama?

We hit up Saw's Juke Joint when we are in town Memorial Day weekend, good stuff. I got the blackened catfish, grits, and greens + fried green tomatoes. My oldest had the white BBQ sauce on her sandwich, good stuff. I didn't try their BBQ, kinda hard to only eat pulled pork when I go to a BBQ place now...Texas has ruined me.

About 5 mins from Eastwood Mall / Century Plaza area.

That does look like sauce, rather than just bark. Also, the award was based on people voting for pictures, wtf? I don't give a shit what it looks like, what it tastes like is the only criteria. Plus, they are originally from Ohio, not known for their BBQ. I noticed none of the places they mentioned, that they travelled to for competitions, was anywhere in the south or Texas.

I never have been a fan of it. The only time I use it is on a BBQ sandwich, to keep the bread from being too dry. Otherwise, you are covering up the flavor of the meat. Maybe they just did not prepare the meat right.

Here's one in Cullman, about a mile off I-65 at Exit 308 (HWY 278). A small place and well attended by the locals. I got the BBQ sandwich plate (and forgot to take a picture of it) which includes a pork sandwich, slaw, fries, and BBQ beans. The BBQ was good and tasty but the red sauce was a little sweeter than I like. IMG_4689.JPG IMG_4690.JPG

A small BBQ place near the Wal-Mart in Hampton Cove in Madison County. Technically I guess it's still Huntsville but it's over Monte Sano mountain just off Hwy 431. The BBQ is really good. The large sandwich is about all I can eat. They have a red, mild (sweet) sauce and a hot sauce as well. The hot is just about right (for me) and what that means is it won't bring tears to your eyes while eating it. The mild is not too sweet either and compliments the meat very well. Their sweet tea is delicious. IMO< one of the better BBQ places in the area of eastern Huntsville.

IMG_4712.jpg IMG_4713.jpg

IMG_4839.jpg

Located in Leesburg, in Cherokee county. If you love good BBQ, you've got to try this place. The BBQ, pork and chicken, has a really good smokey taste. The meat, both chicken or pork, is chopped into pieces about the size of your thumbnail and the Pork plate is all I could eat at one sitting. The sauce had a sweet, hot taste and the vinegar slaw was just right. There are several sides to choose from including fried okra, fried squash, potato salad, bbq beans, slaw, fries, or onion rings. Try the sweet tea, it was delicious. I got the home made banana pudding and it was good but just a little sweeter than I like it. This is one place I'd gladly drive out of my way to try again.

IMG_4841.jpg IMG_4842.jpg IMG_4844.jpg

Located just off HWY 72 in Hollywood, Alabama not to far from the nuclear plant east of Scottsboro. Mud Creek is worth the drive for the fish they serve. We stopped here for the BBQ but liked the fish better. The BBQ was good but the fried fish just melted in your mouth. When you sit down they place a basket of hushpuppies in front of you and that completely distracts you from enjoying the BBQ. They were some of the best I've ever eaten. I got the combo plate of bbq pork and catfish strips. I ordered the mustard based slaw and enjoyed it. My wife didn't like it as much as the mayo based slaw. Their tomato based sauced was too spicy for me and overpowered the taste of the meat.

Very friendly servers and a rustic interior helped to make this an enjoyable meal. Two of the servers have worked at the restaurant for 65 year between them, one for 40 and the other 25 years.

Been to both of those places. Tim's, depends on when you go, either really good or really meh, on the swine BBQ. My dad(where I grew up, Dogtown/Fort Payne) lives like 20 miles from there.

Used to work in the Scottsboro area a good bit, so stopped in Mud Creek a couple of times.

As for sauce, I only like it on a BBQ sammich and only if it is more vinegar based with a kick, think Dreamland sauce or similar. Otherwise, would rather have good, juicy meat, spiced/smoked right with zero sauce.

Looks good, can't say that I've ever had BBQ and fried catfish on the same plate before. How much was that plate?
Yeah, first time I've seen it offered that I remember. Had to choose 2 of 3 meats between pork, chicken, and catfish. The prices were very reasonable. The combo plate was $8.95 and included 2 more pieces of fish not shown in the picture.

fullsizeoutput_3956.jpeg

This branch is located on South Parkway in Huntsville. Although a "chain" I've found their BBQ is consistently good. Their regular BBQ pork sandwich comes with mayo, slaw and pickle, all optional when you order, and a generous portion of meat. The pork is juicy and very tasty. My wife doesn't like the heavily peppered slaw and green beans but I do. I have never tried their sauce because the meat was so flavorful. No use fixing it if it ain't broke kinda thing. They have a different daily special each day which is a good deal. Monday it's two BBQ plates for $12. My daughter loves their stuffed baked potato and it is a meal in itself. They have just recently opened in Cullman and have plans for one in Decatur on the Beltline.

IMG_4941.JPG IMG_4942.JPG IMG_4948.jpg IMG_4951.jpg IMG_4952.jpg

A local favorite is the "Old Greenbrier" Restaurant in Madison county, about 3 miles north of I-565 exit 3. The food was delicious and the place fills up quickly around lunch time. I ordered the combo plate with BBQ pork and catfish. The slaw is the best vinegar based slaw I've ever eaten. It is a dry slaw with just a hint of sweetness. The pulled pork was juicy and very tasty. Didn't need no sauce to help it along although the tomato based red sauce was good and the white sauce as well. I tried both of them on the basket of hushpuppies they deliver when you take a seat. The hushpuppies are all you can eat and I was putting them away. Man, they are good. My wife had to warn me to save some room for the plate I had ordered! The catfish filets were just right and I did sample their homemade tartar sauce on them. Not too tangy, just right to my taste. My wife chose the BBQ chicken plate and shared a bite with me. The chicken has a smoky taste and was very good. It wasn't tough like chicken gets when it is cooked too long. Everything was just right.

Back
Top Bottom