| FTBL Alabama-USC game canceled with Pac-12 moving to league-only play

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Alabama-USC game canceled with Pac-12 moving to league-only play

After hanging on by a thread throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, Alabama's 2020 football season opener against the USC Trojans will no longer happen.

The Pac-12 announced on Friday it is moving to conference-only scheduling for the 2020 season. On Thursday, the Big Ten announced that it would only play conference games this fall. The ACC is expected to do the same, while the Big 12 and SEC are likely to follow suit.

The Crimson Tide and Trojans were set to kick off the season in AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, on Sept. 5. Now, if the SEC joins the Big Ten and Pac-12 in only playing conference games in 2020, Alabama's first game would be against Georgia on Sept. 19. However, the SEC has not yet made a decision and will wait to discuss that until next, per 247Sports.

As things currently stand amid the pandemic, Alabama players have returned to campus for voluntary workouts, although at least eight players tested positive for the virus in early June without showing any symptoms. The Tide has not reported any more positive tests since.

Student-athletes were tested upon their return to Tuscaloosa and prior to engaging in any university-sponsored athletic activities. In addition, randomized screening of student-athletes may be mandated for continued participation in athletic activities. Screening of student-athletes and staff should also occur daily in the early phases of the return-to-campus plan.

Beginning July 13 through July 23, the football team can participate in up to eight hours of weight training, conditioning and film review per week. From July 24 through Aug. 6, student-athletes may take part in up to 20 hours of countable-athletic activities per week.

Alabama director of athletics Greg Byrne said his department will release a firm plan for the upcoming season in late July or early August. After Friday's news, it might be sooner.

“Our goal still, the whole time, is to have a full, regular football season and a full volleyball season and soccer season, cross country (season) here in the fall but make sure to follow the recommendations and guidelines of the health officials,” Byrne said last month. “And so, I’m still very optimistic about us having a football season. … We’ve been fortunate with great support by our fan base. We’re over 90 percent renewals for the year, and we’re really fortunate for that. Our goal, hopefully, is to be able to have all the season-ticket holders in there and many more.

“But I think in the coming weeks, in the next month, we’re going to have to get more granular on what that actual number will be. I think towards the end of July, early parts of August is when decision time will have to take place and see what it looks like. But we have a lot of scenarios that we’re putting together of what it can look like, both from how many people are there and what that looks like for our department and the impact of that from a financial standpoint, too.”

giphy.gif

I knew it. The minute that the Ivy losers pulled the plug, that was the beginning of the end. They knew what they were doing. They knew that if they cancelled, the rest of the country would.be too scared not to follow suit. Harvard and Yale are jerking off to this. They kicked that first rock down the hill last March and they are doing it again. Bama was scheduled to play Harvard this past season in baseball. Of course, it didn't happen because the season didn't happen. I hope we never play anyone from that damn league. They don't deserve the support.

Back
Top Bottom