| NEWS Conf. realignments, 2023: The PAC 12 is now the PAC 4, but still a P5.

S

SEC Sports

College expansion has been a wild ride over the past year or so, and it doesn't appear to be ending anytime soon.

The Big Ten has spearheaded the movement. The storied conference adds USC and UCLA in 2024. It may not be done, either.

Barstool Sports' Jack McGuire is hearing a rumor that the Big Ten is adding four schools this week: Clemson, Florida State, Oregon and Washington.

That would poach two universities from the ACC - arguably its top-two athletics programs - and two from the Pac-12 - arguably its best as well, even with USC and UCLA in the mix.

Oregon and Washington have been rumored to the Big Ten for a while now, but the rumors died down recently. But Colorado's abrupt exit to the Big 12 has pretty much re-opened the door.

The expectation is that the Pac-12 is done for. Eventually, schools like Arizona, Arizona State and Utah will likely head to the Big 12. Oregon and Washington need a new home, and each belongs in the Big Ten.

Clemson and Florida State, meanwhile, probably make more sense for the SEC. But the Big Ten might want to enter the Florida recruiting market and tap into the Clemson roots.

Buckle up. It could be a busy week in college athletics.

If I were the ACC and Pac 10 I would allow them to go for 50 million each… or leave in 10 years....Those teams have conference obligations for years down the road…The schools agreed to those games..smells like breech of contract to me…

So if this rumor is true and Clemson and FSU head to the Big 10, then who is left for the SEC to poach? Miami? North Carolina? And will the Big 10 finally change their name since they haven't had just ten members in decades? CFB is getting crazy.

I still don’t see how these individual schools can breach a contract by suddenly dropping games scheduled, up to five years in advance… some of the smaller schools are in need of that money and television exposure…They should sue all the schools for welching on the contract..
Kind of reminds me of college students wanting to breech their student loan contracts…

I still don’t see how these individual schools can breach a contract by suddenly dropping games scheduled, up to five years in advance… some of the smaller schools are in need of that money and television exposure…They should sue all the schools for welching on the contract..
Kind of reminds me of college students wanting to breech their student loan contracts…
Pay the smaller schools contracted fee, plus a bonus for canceling the game and they will be perfectly happy. It won't be a breach of contract. It will be a buyout or "mutually agreed to" terms.

Last edited:
So if this rumor is true and Clemson and FSU head to the Big 10, then who is left for the SEC to poach? Miami? North Carolina? And will the Big 10 finally change their name since they haven't had just ten members in decades? CFB is getting crazy.

I'd take North Carolina, Duke, and Georgia Tech before I took Miami. Miami is more scandalous than the entire SEC, and that's saying something. Murders, Ponzi schemes, money, all kinds of shit.

Wouldn't hurt giving Vanderbilt some academic and athletic competition as well.

What s footprint.....

These conferences headed for what. Sec and big 10 survive...P5s
Big 12 n pac ?? n ACC will be major minors MM5
And then G5s

I dont know Its kind of like construction of a building with no construction plans. Just keep adding bricks n morter hoping it all fits and works in future

Probably see a 32 team playoff format soon to keep everyone happy

If both Clemson and FSU go to the Big 10, I don't think the SEC will be able to catch up in terms of quality members. ACC buyouts reportedly are $300 million, based on the remaining ten year TV contract. ACC schools got $30 million each last year from it, but FSU expects to more that double that should they leave for either SEC or Big 10, and pay the $300 in installments.

What s footprint.....

These conferences headed for what. Sec and big 10 survive...P5s
Big 12 n pac ?? n ACC will be major minors MM5
And then G5s

I dont know Its kind of like construction of a building with no construction plans. Just keep adding bricks n morter hoping it all fits and works in future

Probably see a 32 team playoff format soon to keep everyone happy
Geez, I hope not.

If I were the ACC and Pac 10 I would allow them to go for 50 million each… or leave in 10 years....Those teams have conference obligations for years down the road…The schools agreed to those games..smells like breech of contract to me…
The PAC teams don't have to pay anything to leave because their TV contract is expiring. Complete leadership lapse on the conference's part. Surprised Big 10 is only taking two. Hate it if they grab two good southeastern schools.

What a rotten deal for us. I'd rather kick out SC and take Clemson.

If there is any truth to these rumors, I foresee Clemson & FSU using this offer to counter back to the SEC to get them more money to join. Can't say I don't blame them.
I don't think the SEC will ever give any school more than an equal share. The teams just have to look at how much is being distributed each year, and what they believe their chances are for success (making the playoff) in each conference. Right now the SEC trails the Big 10 slightly in annual distributions, but should vault ahead with the next contract....unless Big 10 adds enough quality teams to boost its own revenues. It's an arms race, and it won't end well for the PAC or ACC. Big 12 may be getting ready to snag AZ/UT.

That's not how it works though... Clemson and FSU don't have any leverage at all. Any negotiated buyout will result in them giving up their rights to profit for long time to ACC.
One of the articles allege FSU's negotiating angle is to not pay the $300 million up front, but in $30 million increments. They should get 70 or so each year from B10 or SEC, so that flows.

I'm not sure I follow at all. Why would they care if they have left the ACC?
It matters.

The exit fee for ACC schools is a reported $120 million, and when it comes to breaking the grant of rights, Sports Illustrated reports most attorneys describe the agreement as "airtight."

Those roadblocks could be avoided entirely should a situation prevail where the grant of rights is dissolved, but the feasibility of that is not clear. No ACC schools are known to have challenged the grant of rights at this time.

FSU and Clemy would be fools to go BIG10…The weather don’t match the teams….Cali teams will find that out too… Not to mention the distance of travel to those games…times and travel are going to get tough with Bidenomics..

Back
Top Bottom