| NEWS Conf. realignments, 2023: The PAC 12 is now the PAC 4, but still a P5.

We knew—those that didn't, should have— this was coming. I've been looking at schedules but in a different light...or rather, different season.

Thought:

UCLA has a mid-week game on the east coast but we're dealing with a huge winter storm which has restricted a lot of travel. A hypothetical, today, but one that's very realisitic.

I believe there's a good chance we see some basketball games postponed because of travel problems—more so with the B1G than the Big 12. My question?

Do they arrange conference schedules for basketball to allow make-up games? IF they don't I also believe we're going to see some really weird tie-breaker situations for seeding(s,) conference champs, etc.

This is from a post on page four...I was wondering about revenue distribution when Nicole Auerbache (sp) said talks were falling apart ... then Oregon's president drops these two bits:

Oregon prez Karl Scholz confirms Ducks will receive "partial" revenue share in Big Ten.

When Rutgers, Maryland, et. al. joined the B1G a few years ago it was under the same model: partial membership/revenue share. BUT, here's a thing to note—these schools don't get equal revenue from the B1G Network: they weren't in the conference when it was launched to they don't get equal splits on money.

Oregon won't either.

"Shares are more generous than what was available to ... Oregon as our new media deal was being negotiated" in Pac-12. They will be full share members in the next Big Ten deal (2030)

These eight schools leaving the PAC? Their new media rights deal (or old one I guess I should say) with the PAC still wasn't the same money they're getting from partial revenue split out of the B1G.

That's just insane.

In today's environment, Rutgers and Maryland ought to be as grateful as Mizzou and SC. None of those would be in the conversation.
We've seen UofSC bring in at least four national titles to the conference coffiers since they joined. Maryland's WBB program has dominated in the B1G since they've joined.

Mizzou did a pretty good job of muzzling 1st amendment rights a few years ago. 😈 Rutgers reintroduced abuse to the B1G; albeit in a bit of an old school form.

When it was founded with the stroke of a pen in a downtown Portland hotel 108 years ago, it was called the Pacific Coast Conference and then the Athletic Association of Western Universities. Later it morphed from the Pac-8 to the Pac-10 to the Pac-12.
Now?
Pac-It-In.

One thing these conference moves provide is exposure. One of the arguments against the western schools for rankings and CFP placement is that the timing of their games prevented media and coaches from seeing their games and getting legitimate rankings (“we’re just as good as _______”). Moving to the B1G or Big12 gets their games viewers. If they beat one of the “powerhouses” (Ohio State, Michigan, Oklahoma State, etc) it gives ammunition to their ranking.

So where are top G5 programs now.....big 12 grabbed 2...ucf n cinny....i think

So in south Louisiana Raging Cajuns...LaTech.... uab..marshall...usa.....bunch out west...probably will get a call...

Will we see any new conferences formed??????

EfEPuLXWoAcYRS-.jpg

imageedit_5_6366436206.png

Back
Top Bottom