| RECRUIT Alabama Football Recruiting 2021

LEARN HIS NAME

After moving from Texas to Florida to go to school at IMG Academy, Tunmise Adeleye showed up in Orlando on a mission to introduce himself to the Sunshine State. He did just that, turning in a dominant performance (more of which you can watch here). In an effort to get the proper pronunciation of his name, our own Chad Simmons and Rob Cassidy asked him how to say it. He gave an easy explanation but that didn't stop me from butchering it during the awards ceremony. With Adeleye looking like one of the nation't top prospects, I'm not the only one that's going to need to learn how to say his name. Reporters and fans alike better pay attention to the video below closely because he's on his way to becoming a household name.

Rivals Camp Series Orlando: Prospects shine in Florida

quote:
WIDE RECEIVER MVP - Mario Williams

Williams was open all day. He wasn’t perfect with his hands early, but as the day went on, he locked in, and made play after play. He has that burst out of the break and he was giving quarterbacks a good window to throw to all afternoon. Numerous programs are still in the mix, but Alabama, Clemson and Georgia are viewed as three true contenders.

quote:
OFFENSIVE LINE MVP - Micah Morris

Morris stood out with his size, patience and ability to play under control. He wasn’t lunging, he wasn’t getting off balance, and that was impressive. Morris almost committed in December, but pushed it off to later this summer. Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia and South Carolina are in the mix.

quote:
DEFENSIVE LINE MVP - Tunmise Adeleye

Adeleye was a beast all afternoon. He shined at the Rivals Camp Series in Houston a year ago, but his game has elevated to another level in 2020. He was so quick off the ball, but also worked his hands and he was almost impossible to slow down. Some programs still being mentioned are Alabama, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma and Texas A&M. He is expected to make a decision this summer.

quote:
LINEBACKER MVP - Jeremiah Williams

Williams earned his way in through the combine, and his offer list should grow this spring. Southern Miss is currently his only offer, but that will change. Williams is an athletic linebacker who ran well in space and showed he could cover down the field. He drew a lot of praise from the coaching staff and made a name for himself Sunday.

Three-Point Stance: Comparing 2020 to 2019, top returning RBs

quote:
1. COMPARING 2020 TO 2019

Here is how the top-ranked prospects in the 2020 class compare, position-by-position, to their counterparts in the 2019 class.

Dual-Threat Quarterback — Bryce Young vs. Spencer Rattler — Two elite quarterbacks in great systems, but give me Rattler based on the recent success of Oklahoma quarterbacks.

Pro-Style Quarterback — D.J. Uiagalelei vs. Bo Nix — Nix had a solid first year at Auburn but I’m taking Uiagalelei here based on his size, arm and surprising mobility.

All-Purpose Back — Bijan Robinson vs. Devyn Ford — Ford is a good player and will have a nice career at Penn State but Robinson has a chance to be special. I mean really special.

Running Back — Zachary Evans vs. Trey Sanders — Sanders is coming off an injury but we are comparing players at the same stage coming out of high school and he was a little bigger and stronger (and more stable) than Evans.

Wide Receiver — Julian Fleming vs. Jadon Haselwood — This is an epic battle of two tall, talented wide receivers and I’d take Haselwood by a small margin.

Tight End — Arik Gilbert vs. Brayden Liebrock — Liebrock is a good prospect but this isn’t close as Gilbert is a freak at his position.

Offensive Tackle — Broderick Jones vs. Evan Neal — Another great battle here but I’d take Neal at the same stage because of his size and power. But Jones could be equally as good down the line.

Offensive Guard — Chris Morris vs. Kardell Thomas — Thomas is coming off an injury but out of high school he was stronger and more of a mauler.

Offensive Center — Sedrick Van Pran vs. Clay Webb — Van Pran and Webb will likely be competing for a job soon at Georgia, which makes this interesting. Webb was superior at the same stage.

Strongside Defensive End — Myles Murphy vs. Zacch Pickens — This is a tough one as both have size and speed, but give me Murphy because he’s a little more athletic.

Weakside Defensive End — William Anderson vs. Kayvon Thibodeaux — Two lean pass rushers with excellent bend, give me Thibodeaux at the same stage, but it’s close.

Defensive Tackle — Bryan Bresee vs. Antonio Alfano — Two very talented and agile defensive tackles. Alfano has already transferred, but that doesn’t take away from his talent in high school. However, Bresee is the better prospect.

Outside Linebacker — Trenton Simpson vs. Nolan Smith — I love Simpson and he’s going to be special, but Smith is the next great hybrid in the SEC and gets the nod.

Inside Linebacker — Justin Flowe vs. Nakobe Dean — Flowe is a special talent and is easily the better prospect coming out, but Dean is off to a good start.

Cornerback — Elias Ricks vs. Derek Stingley Jr. — The LSU cornerback duo next season? Could be but Stingley is one of the best corners I’ve ever seen. He’s the pick.

Safety — Avantae Williams vs. Daxton Hill — Williams is smooth and has good size but Hill had that elite speed coming out and is the better prospect.

Athlete — Mookie Cooper vs. Bru McCoy — Cooper could be dynamic at Ohio State but McCoy is a rarity as a huge wide receiver who could also play defense if needed.

2. THE BEST RETURNING RUNNING BACKS IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL

Today I’m continuing a series that looks at the top returning college football players at each position. Here’s my top 10 at running back.

1. Chuba Hubbard, Oklahoma State — I love Hubbard and think he will put up monster numbers again next season despite likely being overshadowed again on a national stage.

2. Najee Harris, Alabama — Harris over Etienne? This was a tough call but I think Najee has a crazy year.

3. Travis Etienne, Clemson — You know it’s a good running back year when a player like Etienne is No 3.

4. Javian Hawkins, Louisville — If you haven’t seen Hawkins yet, check him out. He’s electric.

5. Journey Brown, Penn State — Brown is ready to be the next, great Penn State running back.

6. Kenneth Gainwell, Memphis — This kid took the world by storm last season and is the best Group of Five runner in the country.

7. Kennedy Brooks, Oklahoma — Brooks should have a monster season next year a more balanced Sooner attack.

8. Zamir White, Georgia — White is next in line at Georgia and could have a bigger year than D’Andre Swift did last season. In fact if he doesn’t, it will be a disappointment.

9. Jaret Patterson, Buffalo — I might have Patterson way too low based on last season. Call it Power Five bias if you must.

10. Pooka Williams, Kansas — Pooka is an elite back who plays for a not-so-good team, so his performance is even more impressive.

3. FIVE POTENTIALLY DRAMATIC RECRUITMENTS

Predicting drama is never easy, but I’ll give it a shot. While I don’t expect a Zachary Evans-type situation in 2021 class, these prospects could have drama-filled recruitments.

1. WR Quaydarius Davis — He has already committed to SMU and Texas and, despite being a strong Longhorns lean, he will likely visit a bunch of programs like LSU, Alabama and others.

2. ATH Seven McGee — But wait, he’s committed right? McGee will visit seven (get it?) or more programs by August.

3. WR Agiye Hall — Based on how many times he changes his top schools and rumors of certain schools already backing off, this could be a wild ride.

4. CB Tony Grimes — I’m not talking about multiple commitments here, but I know he will take a lot of visits and could change his leader several times.

5. OL Amarius Mims — This may seem like an odd choice but the same could be said about Broderick Jones at this time last year. Georgia is thought to be the clear leader, but this could come down to the end with Alabama, LSU and others.

Drake Maye talks recruiting efforts, latest with Tide (BamaOnLine | segments)
quote:
9311160.jpg

Alabama quarterback commit Drake Maye had one of the most efficient seasons of any signal caller in the country last fall, passing for 3,512 yards and 50 touchdowns and just two interceptions, completing 72 percent of his throws. The four-star prospect from Cornelius (N.C.) Myers Park led his Mustangs to the state quarterfinals before a narrow loss to Richmond.

“Kind of a tough loss at the end of football season,” Maye told BamaOnLine earlier in February. “Although we didn’t accomplish our goal, I can’t complain about the season. I really enjoyed it. (Now I’m) Trying to transition to basketball season, ramp it up a little bit. I like basketball a lot, so I’m enjoying it.”

Nick Saban, Steve Sarkisian, and Charles Kelly stopped in to watch Maye play basketball back in January. “It was awesome,” Maye said. “It means a lot for them coming out, Coach Sark, Coach Kelly, and Coach Saban. I was just trying to play my game out there and have fun.”

When he has time, Maye tries to pitch Alabama to fellow recruits in an effort to get guys to join him. “Whether it’s receivers or offensive linemen, people that help me out, I try to stay on top of things. If they release a top five or visit Alabama, I try to maybe say something or tweet something at them. I’m focusing on basketball but I’m playing a little bit of 7on7, so I see some those guys out there at tournaments and things.”

Maye visited Tuscaloosa for a few games in 2019 and liked what he saw overall. “It was very strong. Offense all year, they were hitting on all cylinders. It’s a fun offense to watch. Things defensively hurt them with some injuries; they were young. It was fun to get the win to finish out the season. I’m looking forward to seeing what happens this spring.”

The Tide pledge has kept in contact with the Alabama staff throughout the season. “I probably text Coach Sark every week, maybe a couple times a week, see how it’s going,” he said. “He always texts me about basketball and stuff. He’s just fired up about me heading down there for spring practice and stuff. We just talk recruiting stuff. He’s awesome. He asks about my family and how basketball is going. It’s great. I talk with Coach Saban probably monthly.”

Maye reaffirmed his commitment is still solid with the Tide and that he’s not in close contact with any other coaching staffs since announcing his pledge to Alabama last July. "Nothing's changed, really," he said of his commitment. "I'm just worried about my season and my craft right now." Maye plans to be in Tuscaloosa next month after having to miss Junior Day on Feb. 1.

2021 4* QB Drake Maye 6-5/210 NC hudl

Tide's NFL production important to 5-star CB (BamaOnLine | segments)
quote:
9594854.jpg

Alabama will soon play host to five-star defensive back Tony Grimes, the No. 1-rated cornerback in the 247Sports Composite Rankings, from Virginia Beach (Va.) Princess Anne. “We’re going to go out there this spring,” Grimes’ father Deon Glover told BamaOnLine. The Crimson Tide hosted Grimes for Junior Day in 2019 when UA extended an offer.

Grimes and his father have kept in touch with the UA staff, whether it be Tide graduate assistant Tino Sunseri or area recruiter Charles Huff in the time since. Glover says Sal Sunseri will soon be taking over their area as lead recruiter.

“We’re supposed to get on the phone with Coach Saban here soon. They just want us to come down and do a camp here shortly,” Glover said. “I know Coach Saban has been trying to get Tony to a camp for the last two years. We were supposed to go and we just never made it back out to camp. I want Coach Saban to see him camp.”

The 247Sports Crystal Ball favors Georgia at the moment with Texas A&M and Virginia Tech also represented among the four predictions. Glover explained why Alabama is still very much in consideration ahead of Grimes’ Dec. 1 announcement.

“We’re going to go to the best place that can develop him, that can provide the opportunity for him to grow as a player,” Glover said. “He wants to reach his dream of being the first defensive player off the board in the Draft. We’re trying to get to the best possible place that can provide those things for him, as well as a really great degree. A degree carries weight network-wise.

"We want to give him the best opportunity to reach his full potential. And you can’t exclude Bama from that. There’s just no way. They’re the driving force of the industry. When you have an elite program like them and Clemson, if you don’t take a look something is wrong. Not to mention the fact that 50 percent of the five-stars that go to Bama go to the league. So they’re successful at handling high-rated recruits. That’s something that we weigh heavily. That means something to us.”

2021 5* CB Tony Grimes 6-0/180 VA hudl

Updated 2021 Top247

Commits/targets/in-state guys/regional guys:

1. DT J.T. Tuimoloau
5. S James Williams (+7)
7. OT Tommy Brockermeyer (-3)
9. WR Emeka Egbuka (-1)
10. ATH Xavian Sorey (+5)
13. OT Amarius Mims (+7)
15. CB Ga'Quincy McKinstry (+3) - Pinson, AL
16. OLB Terrence Lewis (+46)
17. CB Tony Grimes (+4)
23. OT JC Latham (+53)
26. DE Dylan Brooks (+1) - Roanoke, AL
27. CB Nyland Green (+193)
32. QB Drake Maye (+19)
34. DT Damon Payne (-9)
35. DT Maason Smith (+3)
41. WR Brian Thomas (+39)
42. RB Camar Wheaton (-19)
43. APB Will Shipley (+1)
46. LB Deontae Lawson (+219)
51. WR Chris Hilton (-37)
64. DT Lee Hunter (-27) - Eight Mile, AL (Auburn commit)
67. DE Jeremiah Williams (+112) - Birmingham, AL
72. RB Armoni Goodwin (-29) - Trussville, AL (Auburn commit)
85. DE Tunmise Adeleye (-15)
92. OT Micah Morris (-46)
100. WR Troy Stellato (+111)
101. WR Agiye Hall (-88)
122. OLB Aaron Willis (-7)
124. CB Jaylin Davies (+2)
126. RB Jaylin White (+211) - Dothan, AL
127. WR Mario Williams (+6)
149. WR Ketron Jackson (-37)
162. CB Latrell McCutchin (-40)

Back
Top Bottom