| RECRUIT Alabama Football Recruiting 2021

Alabama 4-star lineman signee offers new position possibility

quote:
Pickens County’s Jah-Marien Latham dominated as a defensive and offensive lineman in high school, but where the Alabama signee play for the Crimson Tide?

A reporter asked Latham that simple question after he helped the Tornadoes beat Francis Marion in Monday’s AHSAA Class 1A basketball semifinals in Birmingham.

“They’ve talked to me about playing defensive end,” he said, “but I could be like a Jack outside linebacker.”

That’s new.

National recruiting services listed the 6-foot-3 Latham as a defensive tackle, and he said he played his senior football season in the 285-to-290-pound range. He looked smaller on the basketball court and said he’s slimmed down to 265 pounds.

His blend of power, size and explosiveness as a high school defensive lineman fit the template for an Alabama defensive end.

“I feel pretty good about how I played as a senior, but I could have been better at 265,” he said. “I’m a lot quicker at 265 than 285.”

Some opposing coaches, including Mars Hill’s Darrell Higgins, raved about Latham’s offensive line skills. That led to speculation that he’d end up on offense, perhaps as a guard, at Alabama.

What position does Latham prefer? “If I had to choose a position, it’d probably be d-end or outside linebacker,” Latham said.

Alabama signed at least two players – 5-star Will Anderson and 4-star Chris Braswell – who project as pass-rushing outside linebackers. Both appear well-suited for Alabama’s Jack position.

But Alabama’s Anfernee Jennings played outside linebacker at 6-foot-3 and 259 pounds for the Tide, and he led the Tide in sacks and tackles for loss in 2019. Jennings often lined up with his hand on the ground, especially in obvious pass-rushing situations.

Ultimately, though, Latham sounded like a guy who isn’t worried about his college position.

“I just play ball,” he said. “I don’t worry about all those outside things.”

I guess starting as a freshman at the ‘family’ school seemed better than waiting for RS sophomore year to contend at Bama.

Good luck to him, he’ll certainly be a big fish in the small pond that is N. Carolina football.

Last edited:

I guess starting as a freshman at the ‘family’ school seemed better than waiting for RS sophomore year to contend at Bama.

Good luck to him, he’ll certainly be a big fish in the small pond that is N. Carolina football.

I'm of the opinion the "starting as a true frosh" isn't a leading factor for Maye. If his verbal remains true and he signs with UNC he'll be coming in behind a true sophomore who led the ACC in passing yards last season—3500+ as I recall. Howell, as a frosh All-American, also has the luxury of having two RB's and two WR's returning from last years offense.

Another thing to consider (though we'll hear "pre-season polls don't mean anything.") If you look around you'll see some of the 2020 polls having UNC ranked. I've seen articles expecting UNC to have one of the top ten offenses in 2020.

So, if I'm Maye ... do I expect to beat out Howell before 2021? He'd likely be a legit #2, at least in 2021, whereas he's looking at a pretty crowded QB room in Tuscaloosa.

(And as a side note...with the QB room having Jones, Lia, Tyson, and Young this season and certainly don't expect the same four to be in the room in March of 2021.)

Back
Top Bottom