| RECRUIT Alabama Football Recruiting 2021

A pair of SEC schools lead for LB Dallas Turner (247Sports | segments)
quote:
9652499.jpg

St. Thomas Aquinas four-star linebacker Dallas Turner took trips to both Georgia and Alabama last month. That has the Bulldogs and Crimson Tide out in front. "Those are really my top two schools," Turner told 247Sports on Saturday at the Football Hotbed 7v7 Classic.

Turner was in Athens the weekend of Jan. 25 with his parents. "That was special," Turner said. "It was something that I haven't seen on most of my visits. It was like one of a kind, really." What stood out? "Just how the coaches are trying to develop you as a man and make it more than just about football," Turner explained.

Turner got to Tuscaloosa on Feb. 1 for a Junior Day. "It was a true one of a kind experience, as well. They are both very similar," Turner said comparing Alabama to Georgia. "I got to talk a lot with Coach Saban and my position coaches and they were just telling me a lot of facts."

Turner said he's close with current UA cornerback Patrick Surtain. He also knows safety Jordan Battle. "Both of their dads coached me," Turner said.

While it's clear that Turner likes the Bulldogs and Crimson Tide, he said that he's also hoping to visit both Florida and Florida State next month once the NCAA's dead period lifts. As for a decision? "I don't know, but probably before the season."

2021 4* OLB Dallas Turner 6-4/235 FL hudl

Five-star DL Maason Smith high on five SEC programs (247Sports | segment)
quote:
9345352.jpg

The No. 2 defensive tackle in the 247Sports Composite Player Rankings, and No. 1 overall prospect in the state of Louisiana in Houma (La.) Terrebonne’s five-star Maason Smith named a Top10 back in October.

That list has kind of whittled in half at this point. “I only really talk to five schools daily and those schools are LSU, Alabama, Georgia, Florida and Texas A&M,” Smith told 247Sports on Wednesday afternoon.

2021 5* DT Maason Smith 6-4/316 LA hudl

Rising JUCO DB elated to earn offer from Nick Saban (BamaOnLine | segment)
quote:
9628052.jpg

On Wednesday, Nick Saban offered junior college cornerback De'Jahn Warren on the phone. “I’m just very, very, very, very happy right now,” Warren told BamaOnLine.

The Landover, Md. native that’s currently getting set to play his sophomore season at Lackawanna C.C. adds the offer to a growing list that includes Penn State, Maryland, Tennessee, and Oregon, among others.

“I’m going to be honest. When Coach Saban said that to me, my heart just dropped. I never thought in a million years I'd be having this conversation with Coach Nick Saban. The struggle I came from, I didn’t even get to play football at one point. So it just feels great to actually be noticed. Being noticed by Nick Saban, that’s major. That’s major. And it’s only my first year playing corner. Everything’s just working out. God’s been blessing me.”

Warren has been in communication with Tide personnel staffer Sam Petitto to this point before speaking with Saban on Wednesday. "When I was talking on the phone with Coach Nick Saban he was telling me about how they graduate their players. That intrigues me. I like education. I like to know what else you have to offer than just athletics. To me Alabama’s history as a whole jumps out to me. They’ve always been known for both football and academics. Because you know, it’s more to life than just football. You’ve got to have education as well. Alabama will get an official visit. That’s not even a question. Alabama has to get a visit."

A decision won’t be made for at least five to six months. “No time soon because I want to see what other opportunities open up for me. My father went through this process before, he said don’t commit early and see whatever blessings God brings to you before you narrow it down. He said don’t commit somewhere you haven’t been to. That’s like going on a blind date. That’s the same mentality I’ve been keeping.”

Warren played high school ball at The Avalon School, the same program as Trevon Diggs. He’s also familiar with Tide safety Demarcco Hellams. Warren will enroll early at his next stop with three years to play two remaining on his eligibility sheet.

At 6-foot-1, 185 pounds Warren has yet to receive a 247Sports junior college ranking. This past season Warren totaled 35 tackles, broke up six passes, blocked five kicks, picked off five passes, and forced three fumbles for the Falcons.

Rivals Camp Series Orlando: Four teams with buzz

quote:
ALABAMA

Alabama has long had pull in the Sunshine State and that doesn’t show signs of changing. Some of the top players at the Orlando-based event remain high on the Tide. Wide receiver Mario Williams and defensive back Sam McCall both mentioned the shine they have taken to Bama and both were invited to the Rivals Five-Star Challenge. Nick Saban and company are also involved with wide receiver Agyie Hall, offensive line MVP Micah Morris and a host of other highly regarded players.

Devonta Smith lands offers from both of his 'dream' schools

quote:
Three-star defensive back Devonta Smith has seen his recruitment explode in the past month and the offers keep pouring in on a weekly basis for the Cincinnati La Salle product. He is closing in on 30 offers in total.

Smith, 5-foot-11, 170-pounds, is being recruited as a cornerback by most schools but he also has the ability to play safety or wide receiver at the college level. His play on defense was instrumental in La Salle winning the Ohio Division-II state championship.

This week has seen a continuation of the flurry of offers and two, in particular, caught his eye in Alabama and Oregon, and both of them are high on Smith's personal list of favorites.

"I was offered by Alabama Wednesday night and that was a pretty big moment for me," Smith admitted. "I had been talking to Coach (Charles) Huff for a few months now and he has been telling me that he and Coach (Nick) Saban liked my film. Coach Huff has told me that nobody can develop defensive backs like Coach Saban and I feel blessed to have this offer. When I got the offer, I literally started crying because when I look at where I came from to where I am now made me emotional."

"I did speak to Coach Saban on the phone and that was a very special phone call to me," he admitted. "To have someone at the top of college football call me was pretty unbelievable. We didn't have a quick conversation where he offered me and we hung up right away. We actually had a 35-minute conversation where he and I talked football and we talked about life. It was one of the best conversations I've ever had with any coach. He talked to me about how my education has to come first and that meant a lot to my mom as well."

"My cousin played there in Shaun Alexander so I know what Alabama is all about," he continued. "I consider all offers a blessing and this one is too. Coach Saban wants me to come down on March 7 and I'm definitely trying to make that work. My head coach (Pat McLaughlin) has already told me that he's going to make sure I get down there and my mom might be coming with me. Alabama is up there with any school that has offered me and growing up, I had Alabama and Oregon as my dream schools and now I have offers from both programs."

Oregon offered Smith earlier in the week and just as the Alabama offer made him very emotional, he felt the same way when he found out he was being offered by the Ducks.

"The Oregon offer came this week and I have been talking to Coach (Mario) Cristobal," Smith explained. "He was telling me that they offer was coming and he told me not to worry about it. It was funny because the best relationship I have is with Coach (Rod) Chance and he has been recruiting me for Minnesota. He took the cornerbacks job at Oregon in the past week and now he's recruiting me for Oregon, which is pretty crazy. He told me the day he was leaving Minnesota and he said he would be recruiting me at Oregon."

"We get along so well because we came from similar backgrounds and he said we would talk to Coach Cristobal about getting me offered by Oregon," he said. "He said he knows the kind of person and I am and the kind of player I am, and within a few days I had the Oregon offer. I cried when I got the Oregon offer just like I did when I got the Alabama offer, because I know how blessed I am to be in this position. This offer is very special and I'm definitely interested in Oregon."

"I was actually offered over the phone by the whole staff and they were all in the room together, so that was really special to me," he noted. "I can see that all my hard work is paying off and I need to keep working to get better. I will be going to visit Oregon at some point and I'm not sure if that will be an official or unofficial visits, and hopefully for both. My mom is totally fine with me going away to college because she thinks that will help me grow as a man, so the distance from home won't bother us at all."

Smith is unsure about when he will take his official visits and when he might be able to make his commitment, and he will be talking with his family and his coach about how he needs to take the next few steps in his recruitment. He is currently ranked as the No. 29 cornerback in the country by the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

Top Landing Spots for J.T. Tuimoloau, CFB's No. 1 Defensive Tackle for 2021

quote:
Alabama Crimson Tide

Playing for the biggest powerhouse in college football is appealing for any top-tier recruit. The opportunity to develop under Alabama head coach Nick Saban—along with his elite coaching staff, facilities and resources—makes it a dream school for many.

Offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian and defensive coordinator Pete Golding are already heavily involved in recruiting Tuimoloau to Tuscaloosa. Alabama was one of the earliest FBS schools to offer him a scholarship, and the Crimson Tide even invited him to school camp in June 2018.

Alabama has produced a ton of NFL players on the defensive line, including the likes of Jonathan Allen, Marcell Dareus, Da'Shawn Hand, Daron Payne and Quinnen Williams. Raekwon Davis will be the next NFL playmaker after a dominant final season with Alabama in 2019.

Tuimoloau could immediately get playing time given the lack of senior and juniors on the Tide's roster. The chance to play early and compete for a national championship for at least three seasons could be too good to pass up.

With two visits on deck, Top100 DB talks Tide interest (BamaOnLine | segment)
quote:
8997720.JPG

Earlier this week Alabama made the top 8 for Top100 safety Kaine Williams of Marrero (La.) John Ehret. It was an update to the Bayou State product’s original top six, which the Crimson Tide was also a part of. The schools in the mix are: Alabama, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas A&M.

UA is set to host Williams on campus March 7 for Junior Day, in what will be his fourth trip back to Tuscaloosa. “That’s my first visit this spring,” Williams told BamaOnLine. “They want me to get up there. So I set a date to get back up there and talk to the coaches and see what the deal is with them.”

Williams keeps in contact throughout the week with the UA staff, and area recruiter Pete Golding. “What’s not to like about Bama?” he said of the Tide. “They’re one of the best winning programs in college football. They have a great coaching staff. Coach (Nick) Saban is one of the best coaches in football history.”

Williams performed in front of Saban at camp last summer. “When he offered me it was at camp,” Williams said. “He was saying he liked how I gained ground when a receiver breaks on his routes, how I attacked the ball in the air, my covering my skills basically, and he said he liked my physicality from watching my film.”

Williams plans to camp again at Bama in mid June. That could be a pivotal point in his recruitment considering it will be around the time he hopes to make a commitment. “From the end of May to the beginning of August,” he said of when he could commit.

2021 4* S/CB Kaine Williams 6-1/186 LA hudl

Brockermeyer brothers lock in official visits (247Sports | segments)
quote:
9553017.jpeg

Fort Worth (Texas) All Saints Episcopal's touted OLs Tommy Brockermeyer and James Brockermeyer will take official visits to four schools.

The family tells 247Sports that the blue-chippers will visit Alabama the weekend of April 3, LSU the weekend of May 8, Auburn the weekend of June 2, Texas the weekend of June 12, and Alabama will get a second visit on June 19.

As both brothers can take officials, they are allowed to each separately visit a school with the other brother along as a guest. Look for the Brockermeyer brothers to also check out the Longhorns this spring to see their older brother Luke practice.

The Brockermeyers would like to make a college decision in June if it all works out per the family. My 247Sports Crystal Ball is with Alabama at this point in the process.

New Tide DB offer: 'Bama is a winning school and I like to win' (BamaOnLine | segments)
quote:
9659100.JPG

After debuting in the Top247 at No. 198 in the country this week, four-star safety Andrew Mukuba of Austin (TX) LBJ saw an uptick in offers since Wednesday. Alabama, Auburn, Nebraska, Ole Miss, Tenn., and Texas Tech have all offered in recent days, joining several SEC, Pac 12 and Big 12 programs to have already thrown their hats into the ring.

“That one was really a blessing,” Mukuba told BamaOnLine of the Crimson Tide offer. “I wouldn’t say it was different, but it’s rare to get an offer from Alabama. Not everybody gets that opportunity. I was excited.”

It was area recruiter Jeff Banks that delivered the good news to Mukuba. “They’re offering me as a DB,” he said. “They’re going to see me develop and see where I fit best at if I were to go over there. He likes my physicality and how I attack the ball and stuff.”

Mukuba has never visited Alabama before. He hopes to get out to campus this spring. He’ll be at Oklahoma on March 1 and Arizona on April 4.

The Tide has an in-house recruiter at LBJ in UA pledge Latrell McCutchin. “He just wants the best for me,” Mukuba said of his Tide commit teammate. “If that’s going to Bama with him then that’s what it is.”

Alabama’s successful track record is an eye-opener for the rising defensive back out of the Lone Star State. “Alabama is good at developing players and sending players to the next level. I feel like that about every SEC school. But Bama is a winning school and I like to win.”

2021 4* S Andrew Mukuba 5-11/181 TX hudl

4-star CB Latrell McCutchin: Texas 'can take their offer back'

quote:
2021 Alabama corner back Latrell McCutchin is slated to visit Oklahoma on March 1. While the Austin, Texas, native didn't want to divulge exactly what it might take for OU coach Lincoln Riley and his staff to flip him from the Crimson Tide to the Sooners, he told OUI he's only interested in a few remaining schools.

"There’s a couple schools that I keep in contact with: OU, Bama, Penn State, Virginia Tech," he said. "That’s really it. I don’t really like any of the Texas schools to tell you the truth."

He went on to clarify that it's not Texas schools, but the Longhorns exclusively he's not interested in.

"I just don’t like them," he said. "A lot of people just think we grew up loving Texas. It’s not really like that out here. In my recruitment—I can’t really speak for anybody else—but I feel like Texas was sleeping on me. I mean I live 20 minutes away from the school, and I had an OU offer, an Alabama offer. I had all these different offers before I even got the UT offer. And I camped up there. I went and visited like five weeks in a row. So with me, UT, they don’t really have a shot with me. Like, that’s dead. They can take their offer back to tell you truth."

McCutchin is a four-star recruit, according to the 247 Sports Composite Player Rankings, and committed to Nick Saban's Tide last June.

Five-star Troy Franklin talks recruiting at Pylon 7-on-7 Vegas (247Sports)
quote:
9571563.jpg

MESQUITE, NV -- A couple Pac-12 programs have done a really nice job trying to get ahead in the recruitment of Menlo Park (Calif.) Menlo-Atherton 2021 five-star receiver Troy Franklin. But the SEC is definitely coming.

“Some guys I feel comfortable with are Washington, Oregon, LSU, ASU, Oregon State, Alabama, those guys I’m comfortable,” Franklin said over the weekend while playing in the Pylon 7-on-7 national tournament held about an hour outside Las Vegas. “I’ve only been to the West Coast schools. I’ve been to Utah, USC, Washington, Oregon, Oregon State, so far.”

Oregon and Washington are programs that appear to be in the best shape very early. “I think it’s because I have a good relationship with the receiver coaches and all the other coaches and it felt like home,” he said of both schools.

Ranked by the 247Sports Composite as the nation’s No. 3 receiver and No. 21 prospect overall, Franklin grew up an Oregon fan. “DeAnthony Thomas was my favorite player,” he said.

Oregon was one of the first programs to offer back in January of 2019. “Coach Krause, Coach Bouknight, those guys just treat me well,” Franklin said. “We have a good relationship. Coach Cristobal is a great guy and they have a great program and great facility.”

Washington made a move during a June visit. “Oh man it kind of felt like home when I was up there,” Franklin said. “They have a good quarterback Sam Huard (who Franklin plays 7-on-7 with for FSP) and we’re building our relationship. Good relationship with Coach Lake and Coach Adams. Those guys are great. I feel good up there.”

We’ll see how things change moving forward. “I’m trying to get down to the South to visit Alabama, LSU, some other guys.”

The 6-foot-2, 170-pound Franklin named a Top11 in November that included the Ducks, Huskies, Crimson Tide, LSU, Utah, Texas, USC, Arizona State, Washington State, Oregon State and Tennessee. Since that point he’s added offers from Texas A&M, Auburn, Florida, Ole Miss and Cal.

Franklin has already committed to play in the All-American Bowl.

2021 5* WR Troy Franklin 6-2/170 CA hudl

Back
Top Bottom