| FTBL 18 (now 46) players on Deion Sanders-coached Buffaloes in transfer portal

He's recruited well and won as a college coach. Seems simple.
He's recruited extremely well for a HBCU, which is why I doubt his coaching ability. He pulled recruits that HBCU coaches used to only dream of, and he still lost his last, and maybe biggest, game at Jackson State with far superior talent.

He's recruited extremely well for a HBCU, which is why I doubt his coaching ability. He pulled recruits that HBCU coaches used to only dream of, and he still lost his last, and maybe biggest, game at Jackson State with far superior talent.
He’s recruited well for any college. Every major program wanted some of the dudes he pulled in like the #1 player in every ranking the year he left high school.

They lost their bowl game in overtime. It was the only loss after an undefeated season including the conference championship. How does that meet, "biggest game?"

You've peaked my curiosity. Tell me more about their bowl opponent and where the talent disparity was found.

Just ask all the players he threw under the bus.. basically he saying it himself .. What if Saban did that to Shulas recruits…Nope.. He made them some of his best players…Neon isn’t interested in that… That transfer portal might just get him all the cancers the other teams got rid of…
The situation Saban inherited when he took over the Bama program is synonymous with the situation found at Colorado with Deion. This has been your analogy throughout the thread.

How are they alike?

I interviewed 27 people last week. I didn't hire any of them. I told every one of them that they weren't what we were looking for; they didn't fit. Did I throw them under the bus?

The situation Saban inherited when he took over the Bama program is synonymous with the situation found at Colorado with Deion. This has been your analogy throughout the thread.

How are they alike?

I interviewed 27 people last week. I didn't hire any of them. I told every one of them that they weren't what we were looking for; they didn't fit. Did I throw them under the bus?
Just saying Saban gave those guys redemption.. Neon gave them no hope… Some of them got even though… they waited until he excepted them… then left him…
I don’t understand how he is going to find diamonds in the rough if he’s not looking for them…

That's a legitimate issue. And yet, it's (HBCU) just another talking point; another of many narratives on coaches.

We can sit here and point to many coaches who preached one thing, did another. Say, the good ol' Reverend Freeze. Are you suggesting you didn't find motivation from his daily devotionals? Hell man, he went to the point of underlining passages!

I have an issue with Freeze. But ...

Is he a good coach? Well, he's won. Is he a good recruiter? Yeah, even with his history he'll be able to recruit.
Plenty of HCBU coaches who did same thing....
Just saying Saban gave those guys redemption.. Neon gave them no hope… Some of them got even though… they waited until he excepted them… then left him…
I don’t understand how he is going to find diamonds in the rough if he’s not looking for them…
There are some leftover that's still on the team. He did give them a choice. I think you took what he said to the team the wrong way. Sanders wants guys to leave who can’t handle his way of doing things.

Coach Prime pointed out that nothing was going to stay the same, from the uniforms to how Colorado conducted business. Sanders also noted that he sees the biggest problem with the team being that not enough people appreciate what they have, or believe in what they can be. “I have a problem when young men, with everything in front of them, don’t believe.” Sanders said. “That’s a problem”

He continued, “It’s a spirit around this team, around this school that is not traditional and in some kinda way you guys have accepted it and you’ve begun to be complacent with it.” At which point the new coach noted the players who chose not to come to his introductory meeting. “Some of the guys who aren’t here, who are so supposed to be here, those are the ones. All that’s gonna stop.”

Coach Prime also drove the point home that the facilities at Colorado are so vastly above what most student athletes get, and that a 1-11 record doesn’t reflect what the team should be capable of. “Our kids would go absolutely crazy to be in the situation you are in ... but you don’t respect it.”

Why would any coach be looking for diamonds in the rough in the first place? By implication, that's something a coach stumbles across because they are few and far between.

Here, we have a coach building a program. Diamonds are formed through time; he's looking at today.
Just saying Saban gave those guys redemption.. Neon gave them no hope…
I see that as an assumption we're looking at the same Jimmy's and Joe's with UA and UC when we're likely looking at some Jina's and Josie's for the Buff's. Even with the dearth of talent from Shula's classes those kids were still more talented than the stars found on UC roster.

Hell man, in one class from Shula he signed more four stars than that program has seen the last four or five years—pre-Deion.

He doesn't need the diamond in the rough. He just need to get the team to win 6 games this fall. Do that, and he'll even get a better player from transfer/recuiting this december.

Plenty of HCBU coaches who did same thing....
I know. And that doesn't change it being a legitimate issue with some folks.

If we're honest about this, the good majority of the kids recruited with "HBCU" weren't kids that were headed to a P5 school: they were headed to DII, or FCS. Pitching "HBCU" vs UAB, or UNA? I've no issue there.

Anybody want to post what their over/under on wins for Colorado this year? Here’s their schedule:

Sept. 2: at TCU, 10 a.m. MT (FOX)
Sept. 9: Nebraska
Sept. 16: Colorado State
Sept. 23: at Oregon
Sept. 30: USC
Oct. 7: at Arizona State
Oct. 13: Stanford
Oct. 28: at UCLA
Nov. 4: Oregon State
Nov. 11: Arizona
Nov. 17: at Washington State
Nov. 25: at Utah

He doesn't need the diamond in the rough. He just need to get the team to win 6 games this fall. Do that, and he'll even get a better player from transfer/recuiting this december.
Sometimes you just got to find the man that has it in him somewhere..just got to unlock it… Neon may find that after his extremely humbling year… he just better beware of believing in the transfer portal… a lot of those guys did not play or pan out at their former schools for a reason… the coaches will gladly give them a stellar review to get rid of them..

Why would any coach be looking for diamonds in the rough in the first place? By implication, that's something a coach stumbles across because they are few and far between.

Here, we have a coach building a program. Diamonds are formed through time; he's looking at today.

Joshua Jacobs was a diamond in the rough.

Joshua Jacobs was a diamond in the rough.
They weren't looking for a diamond in the rough. He wasn't on Burns radar, at all, until he was popping up in a lot of places. The staff wasn't in a "let's see what we can find" mode, ya know?

Josh showed up on the scene because of his high school coach. He had a contact with either Rivals or Scout (I don't think 247 was up then) and they told him to hit Twitter. He did and then created a page for Josh and started sending video clips to D1 colleges.

Burton, then both he and Saban, saw the film. Burton flew to OK...watched him play basketball and the rest is history. I don't see the staff at Bama as "finding a diamond in the rough" with Josh.

A diamond takes time to develop. Josh was on the field very quickly; game one, year one.

They weren't looking for a diamond in the rough. He wasn't on Burns radar, at all, until he was popping up in a lot of places. The staff wasn't in a "let's see what we can find" mode, ya know?

Josh showed up on the scene because of his high school coach. He had a contact with either Rivals or Scout (I don't think 247 was up then) and they told him to hit Twitter. He did and then created a page for Josh and started sending video clips to D1 colleges.

Burton, then both he and Saban, saw the film. Burton flew to OK...watched him play basketball and the rest is history. I don't see the staff at Bama as "finding a diamond in the rough" with Josh.

A diamond takes time to develop. Josh was on the field very quickly; game one, year one.

Ahh ok, I see what you're saying now. And yes, you are correct from what I remember about his recruitment.

Back
Top Bottom