| FTBL 18 (now 46) players on Deion Sanders-coached Buffaloes in transfer portal

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
18 players on Deion Sanders-coached Buffaloes in transfer portal

Eighteen Colorado players entered the transfer portal Monday as part of a post-spring practice exodus, as new coach Deion Sanders continues to reshape the Buffaloes' roster.

Sanders, who told players to "hop in that portal" at his first team meeting after being hired in early December, has been open about his plans to upgrade the team's talent level following a 1-11 season in 2022. Colorado spent most of the first transfer portal window adding notable players, including several who followed Sanders from Jackson State -- his son, quarterback Shedeur Sanders, and defensive back/wide receiver Travis Hunter among them -- and others such as tight end Seydou Traore (Arkansas State), edge rusher Jordan Domineck (Arkansas) and linebacker Demouy Kennedy (Alabama).

I'm thinking could be more!​

Although Colorado lost several players to the portal before spring practice, Monday saw a significant group depart, including wide receivers Jordyn Tyson and Montana Lemonious-Craig, who led the team in receptions and receiving yards, respectively, in 2022. Lemonious-Craig starred in Saturday's spring game, recording 168 receiving yards and two touchdowns. He had 34 career receptions for 497 yards and five touchdowns in three seasons. Running back Deion Smith, Colorado's leading rusher with 393 yards on 83 carries, also entered the portal Monday.

Other notable departures include safety Tyrin Taylor, who made nine career starts with Colorado, including seven last season, and had 39 career tackles with two pass breakups and an interception. Colorado also saw cornerback Jason Oliver and linebacker Aubrey Smith enter the portal Monday.

Thirteen Colorado players entered the portal last week, including starting cornerback Nikko Reed, defenders Simeon Harris and Na'im Rodman, and running back Jayle Stacks. Reed had 44 tackles last season.

Since April 15, the Buffaloes have had 31 players enter the portal.

"You all know that we're going to move on from some of the team members and we're going to reload and get some kids that we really identify with," Sanders said after Saturday's spring game. "This process is going to be quick, it's going to be fast, but we're going to get it done."

Coach Sanders is going to do everything within his power to bring in the type of student athletes that he thinks will help him win in a short amount of time. The 1-11 record from last year will improve this season, I am just not sure if it will be more than a game or two. There are a lot of kids leaving because of kids coming in and taking playing time. If they leave from a 1-11 team they cant be that good to begin with IMO.

The complete arrogance that prime showed in that first press conference, came back to haunt him…The players stuck around and some even made the cut…Then they stuck it to him… sounds like a planned protest event

Its not protest. IT was planned from the start. I'm not surprised he is doing this.. I'm just surprised that he is doing this early. Smart bet would be stagger the transfer within 2 years... but he's going full out in 1st year... Will he have issue filling the roster between now and August? bring in 31 to 40 players in?

Its not protest. IT was planned from the start. I'm not surprised he is doing this.. I'm just surprised that he is doing this early. Smart bet would be stagger the transfer within 2 years... but he's going full out in 1st year... Will he have issue filling the roster between now and August? bring in 31 to 40 players in?
Sanders and his son was stunned the some of the good players left…Some did not even leave clues..

Sanders and his son was stunned the some of the good players left…Some did not even leave clues..
Sanders: no.

His son was surprised at the WR entering the portal after having a huge day at the spring game.

This lines up with what Sander said when he just met the team:

My question is, how is he going to fill all of the spots in 5 days? Then how is he going to have enough for summer and fall workout? He's going to need lot of help.

Sanders made a mess... but he has plan. Let's see what he does.

Sanders: no.

His son was surprised at the WR entering the portal after having a huge day at the spring game.

This lines up with what Sander said when he just met the team:

My question is, how is he going to fill all of the spots in 5 days? Then how is he going to have enough for summer and fall workout? He's going to need lot of help.

Sanders made a mess... but he has plan. Let's see what he does.

I think he had the "pull the bandaid off" approach, and I happen to agree with it. At 1-11 you have to purge. How many leave a first year Saban Alabama team if the Portal is a thing? I never buy the whole "roster depth" deal and needing 85. He will need his starting 22, special teams 22. And then even his second string 22, which makes 66, and even then I say 22 of those get minimal playing time. Round exaggerated figures of course, but I don't think this hurts the product he puts on the field.

All that being said, I don't agree with the way he handled that first meeting. I don't think he's a good guy or even a good coach. He cheats everywhere he goes and his Prime Academy is worthless now. He is no longer welcomed by Texas High Schools due to his actions in the past. Unfortunate kids will bite on the gold chains and swag rather than seeing past the glamor and getting a true developmental opportunity.

Last edited:
I think he had the "pull the bandaid off" approach, and I happen to agree with it. At 1-11 you have to purge. How many leave a first year Saban Alabama team if the Portal is a thing? I never buy the whole "roster depth" deal and needing 85. He will need his starting 22, special teams 22. And then even his second string 22, which makes 66, and even then I say 22 of those get minimal playing time. Round exaggerated figures of course, but I don't think this hurts the product he puts on the field.

All that being said, I don't agree with the way he handled that first meeting. I don't think he's a good guy or even a good coach. He cheats everywhere he goes and his Prime Academy is worthless now. He is no longer welcomed by Texas High Schools due to his actions in the past. Unfortunate kids will bite on the gold chains and swag rather than seeing past the glamor and getting a true developmental opportunity.
I agree with your numbers, but I could see the minimum being even less. I don't think you'd really need a full special teams 22. Most of those guys can pull double duty.

Sanders has always been an extremely talented "look at me" types. He has just always been able to back it up but as a coach nobody knows. Never cared a lot for him personally. I am sure that will keep him up at night :).

Just heard the 247Sports guy that covers Colorado on Jox and they were talking numbers. He said that there were 3-4 that hit the portal that were surprising to them, one being a kid that came with Sanders from Jackson State. He said they are still expecting to have more talent via subtraction and will be at full scholarship allotment come fall. I don’t agree with the way Sanders did it, but these players “asked for this” when they wanted more freedom when it comes to the portal and scholarships.

He's an arrogant prima-dona. Besides he likes himself so much that I don't have to.

Why you don't like deion sanders?
A little arrogance is fine, but Deion flaunts it like @SnakeDoc said.

I don't think he's a very good coach at all, and I think at Colorado we will see some issues that weren't apparent with JSU. He essentially had a d1 roster at a HBCU college, despite his roster, he struggled with some of the competition, and even lost the bowl game. I think he's all show and very little xo's

Back
Top Bottom