| FTBL When it comes to a coach calling plays who are you going with? Lane Kiffin or Lincoln Riley (FAU vs OU in the fall.)

TerryP

Staff
This past week one of the FAU beat writers posted the following tweet:

USA Today picked up the story and this was their conclusion:

Kiffin took a subtle jab at defending national champion Alabama and his former boss Nick Saban on Wednesday, telling a group of FAU donors they're "getting a better team than Bama" in the Owls' 2018 opener vs. Oklahoma.
Kiffin's justification was that Oklahoma was the No. 2 seed in last year's college football playoff, while Alabama was seeded fourth. Of course, the Crimson Tide went on to defeat Georgia in the title game, but that's beside the point.
I'm going to set aside a few things here. One, since Steve Gardner--USA Today writer--wasn't in attendance I have a bit of a hard time wrapping my mind around the notion he knew what Kiffin's "justification" was in the tweet. I didn't read it as a troll. I read it as Kiffin being Kiffin and this was just another tweet pushing attention towards the Owls football program. And secondly, just because Lane mentions Bama it doesn't mean he's throwing shade at UA.

Before, during, and after the game OU played vs UGA in the CFP I was left with the opinion that Riley was a good game planner--through the first half. With adjustments opposing defenses were able to get in front of what Riley was calling.

Skip forward to today. Here's Lane latest:

Is this Lane being Lane? Yes. Is it also a case of Lane beginning to "troll" the OU fan base? Specifically, with Lincoln in mind?

/
Logic tells you exactly what the OU fans are evidently saying, "small program versus a blue blood--you'll pay your dues." You get that, right? I do, in a sense, until I think about OU losing to a 9-4 Houston team to open the '16 season. Or BYU in '09? (One thing to note here is those two games both came on neutral sites, they open this season in Norman.)

I'm certainly not stepping out on a limb here and saying "OU drops their season opener." I am saying this game very likely will be more entertaining than some of the others we've seen mentioned as "bigger games in '18."

Personally, even with the disparity in talent we're likely going to see, I'm leaning towards trusting Lane's calls versus that of Riley. An OU win, but due to the talent disparity on defense...

...assuming OU fields a defense this season.

It's easy to pull for FAU in this one and I think Oklahoma knows it needs to treat this game unlike most minor league games on the schedule. I figure one more season like last year and Kiffin will have the power 5 teams full attention again. There's almost no doubt he will end up in the SEC again, it's just what a bad penny does.

@TUSKtimes ...come on....we like LK dont we? Lol
He the new Spurrier......fun but irritating.... according to who he talking bout....
All the blue blood sec programs have reativity new coaches..... and i cant see him going to a KY or Vandy.. still a failure at LSU...and big time at FAU.... could bring LK back to sec...bout only one i see

He the new Spurrier......fun but irritating.... according to who he talking bout....
All the blue blood sec programs have reativity new coaches..... and i cant see him going to a KY or Vandy.. still a failure at LSU...and big time at FAU.... could bring LK back to sec...bout only one i see

It's hard to count LSU out of any type of Kiffin Lotto. They do weird things all the time. I can actually see Kiffin in a few years working himself back to where he is a splash hire. Plus, the tiger's BOT with King in charge is just dysfunctional enough to make it happen. What about an Ole Miss program if things go south for Luke? Which is very likely. This type of program would immediately respond to a Lane Kiffin type move.

It's hard to count LSU out of any type of Kiffin Lotto. They do weird things all the time. I can actually see Kiffin in a few years working himself back to where he is a splash hire. Plus, the tiger's BOT with King in charge is just dysfunctional enough to make it happen. What about an Ole Miss program if things go south for Luke? Which is very likely. This type of program would immediately respond to a Lane Kiffin type move.

Right on all....but ole ms probably give Luke a little slack....
I just think...onr more year in C-USA....very successful year...and someone will snatch LK up.....
But Lsu ain’t gonna sit on being bottom half of sec west....fired Les..and look at his success....and they are big time and getting desperate...very desperate....

Got to be Riley for me . I like the run then the play action and the regular passing attack ...

I know what freshwater did for us but when he did leave , I know I was bubble screened out .. I did like the bubble and go from time to time . But not a whole scheme based around it ... maybe that was about all Blake and Jalen could execute ...

I really liked coach mac’s play calling ... He got tight ends involved in the pass not just the run .. we really used the whole offense when he was at BAMA .

I know we were somewhat limited at QB with arm talent going down field , but I think there was a conscious effort for time of possession . Instead of all this hurry up we just wanted to lean on the Defence for as long as it took to take their manhood .

I really liked coach mac’s play calling ... He got tight ends involved in the pass not just the run .. we really used the whole offense when he was at BAMA
Under Mac the TE's accounted for 10 TD's. Under Kiffin the TE's had 21 TD's.
Mac's TE's caught 148 balls while Kiffin's caught 127.

Which one used the TE's better? It seems pretty close to me. I'd give the nod to Kiffin due to the points.

I really liked coach mac’s play calling ... He got tight ends involved in the pass not just the run .. we really used the whole offense when he was at BAMA

Which one used the TE's better? It seems pretty close to me. I'd give the nod to Kiffin due to the points.

I went back and looked as well and it is pretty close stat wise , cept I came up with Mac’s TIghtends have 11 TD’s while kiffens’ having 9 . Maybe you were talking passing TD’s overall ....

But the rushing rumblers were surprisingly close as well .....

Mac’s first three years were : Attempts : 1333 Yards : 7544 ... Kiffins three years were : Attempts : 1353 yards 7763

Last edited:

I went back and looked as well and it is pretty close stat wise , cept I came up with Mac’s TIghtends have 11 TD’s while kiffens’ having 9 . Maybe you were talking passing TD’s overall ....

Mac’s first three years were : Attempts : 1333 Yards : 7544 ... Kiffins three years were : Attempts : 1353 yards 7763

Yeah, I have absolutely no idea where you came up with 21 TDs @TerryP I could only come up with 12 and that was only when giving Jalston Fowler and Mack Wilson credit for TDs as "tight ends."

I was thinking about this last night and one thought crossed my mind. When Saban had "released" Major Applewhite and hired Mac none of us knew who he was. Well, at least, no one I knew. I recall a lot of people (me included) had noticed a few differences in his offense when compared to Applewhite/Pendry and Rader. One was Mac's use of the pistol formation and the other was his use of tight ends.

I'm wondering if those conversations and then seeing the TE used more under Mac--versus the previous two groups mentioned earlier--just stuck with us. After all, Mac's offense and Kiffin's were so different it seems logical wed associate Mac with TE production.

Dunno...

cept I came up with Mac’s TIghtends have 11 TD’s while kiffens’ having 9
Yeah, I have absolutely no idea where you came up with 21 TDs @TerryP
I was on my phone (and since you believe I'm old as hell, Josh) I'm going to use that as an excuse. Maybe. I'll admit without glasses I have a hard time reading smaller numbers.

I pulled the numbers from CFBSTATS.com and I'm telling you I wouldn't be surprised if I miscounted. That said, my point remains the same. I think the narrative of Mac using his TE's more is a bit of a false narrative. In terms of production, they're pretty damn close.

Last edited:
I was on my phone (and since you believe I'm old as hell, Josh) I'm going to use that as an excuse. Maybe. I'll admit without glasses I have a hard time reading smaller numbers.

I pulled the numbers from CFBSTATS.com and I'm telling you I wouldn't be surprised if I miscounted. That said, my point remains the same. I think the narrative of Mac using his TE's more is a bit of a false narrative. In terms of production, they're pretty damn close.

To be fair, those Kiffin stats pretty much cover OJ Howard's output in the 2015 NC. Before he went back into hibernation again.

To be fair, those Kiffin stats pretty much cover OJ Howard's output in the 2015 NC. Before he went back into hibernation again.
A bit of hyperbole but it did account for two of the three TD's scored by TE's in '15--Nysewander had the other. The year before that OJ didn't have a TD--Nysewander and Flournoy-Smith were the scoring TE's that season as I recall. I believe Vogler had one that season as well.

cept I came up with Mac’s TIghtends have 11 TD’s while kiffens’ having 9
Yeah, I have absolutely no idea where you came up with 21 TDs @TerryP

Naw your old ass just inverted the number 12 to 21 lol

Lets get further off topic here...

What (if any) changes are we going to see under Locksley?

Back
Top Bottom