| OT What all are you doing on Monday for Labor Day ?

No real plans, really. I bought some beer, today. So I guess I'll probably drink 1 or 2 of those. Otherwise, it's just a day of nothing. I'm off work, so I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I used to work holidays at my other jobs as they were just another day (minus Thanksgiving and Christmas), so this whole no working on holidays is a new concept to me. But I'm sure I'll wake up WAY too early simply because it's a Monday. But at least I'll get to roll over and go back to sleep (if possible).

To me, this is just crazy!

I have a friend who runs a call center room for Homeserve (I think that's what it's called.) It's literally written into their pay scale...if you work 34 hours, it's an extra buck per hour. 37 gets you another buck...38, another, 40, another. You work 40 hours in a week, four more dollars per hour.

Make it make sense...I think it's $13 an hour through 34, $17 plus bonus if you work YOUR SCHEDULE!
I’m part time(20 hours a week) at $18.50 an hour. This week, I’m filling in for a full time guy in Receiving so I’m gaining an additional 10 hours this week. If you work your schedule you get that holiday pay IF you work your scheduled day before and after. No taking a 3 day weekend and cashing in!

I’m part time(20 hours a week) at $18.50 an hour. This week, I’m filling in for a full time guy in Receiving so I’m gaining an additional 10 hours this week. If you work your schedule you get that holiday pay IF you work your scheduled day before and after. No taking a 3 day weekend and cashing in!
I got this idea for a beer-can chicken on the grill...so, went to the store (7-11) to grab a can of beer.

(A point of clarity. I normally buy Yeungling in cans. Bottles are too damn heavy to take to the trash can. Store didn't have any cans Friday.)

Anywho...they have a "kitchen" there that wasn't open this morning. No one showed up for work. I asked the cashier how much they paid their kitchen manager. She didn't know...did say she was making almost 17 an hour. As a cashier, at 7-11.

Hell, with my bar and restaurant experience I'm tempted to ask for a job for the hell of it...if they can pay a cashier that, they can pay a manager in the kitchen 30 or so. AT least, two bills a day.

I got this idea for a beer-can chicken on the grill...so, went to the store (7-11) to grab a can of beer.

(A point of clarity. I normally buy Yeungling in cans. Bottles are too damn heavy to take to the trash can. Store didn't have any cans Friday.)

Anywho...they have a "kitchen" there that wasn't open this morning. No one showed up for work. I asked the cashier how much they paid their kitchen manager. She didn't know...did say she was making almost 17 an hour. As a cashier, at 7-11.

Hell, with my bar and restaurant experience I'm tempted to ask for a job for the hell of it...if they can pay a cashier that, they can pay a manager in the kitchen 30 or so. AT least, two bills a day.
Do you have a Bucc ees nearby! Damn janitor gets $20+ an hour!!

Yeah a buddy of mines wife has a base salary over 100 grand at buccees. They expect you to work and be at work. Call in sick a 2nd time and you’re gone…..
Come in late a few times it’s the same.
She left a gig as a paralegal with a big firm in mobile to take a buccees asst job in loxley…

Thank God, no! I hate places like that. Years ago I'd go into a Stuckey's occasionally...but only to buy King Leo Peppermint Sticks in the can.

Within two miles there are four, no five, convenience stores. I only shop in one; a few times a day. It's pretty cool all the workers there know me by name. It's weird that people in the neighborhood also know my name when I don't know who the hell they are.

I got in from DC Friday morning around 1:15am, got a little sleep and then headed to the lake to meet up with my wife. We headed down to Columbus, GA for an easy afternoon of eating and meandering from rooftop to rooftop bar. If you haven't spent any time in Columbus recently, the downtown area is nice, and you can watch the rafters navigate the rapids at the fall line. Since Saturday, we've been down in Alligator Point, near Panacea, FL (there really IS a Panacea), a nice little stretch of underappreciated gulf coast. A friend has a place here, and we have nine couples staying and renting adjacent places. The water's not as clear, and the sand isn't quite as white, as other places, which means less development but better fishing. Little local places selling all sorts of great fish, and oyster guys everywhere. By the end of this month, my buddy can walk out on the beach with a net and quickly get a nice bucket of big shrimp. We had a low country boil yesterday, and a progressive dinner is planned among the three houses today. We may ease over to Apalachicola later this morning. I spent the first half hour of my morning stargazing, magnificently clear this morning, very little artificial light, only a couple of shooting stars, but just beautiful.

Little local places selling all sorts of great fish, and oyster guys everywhere. By the end of this month, my buddy can walk out on the beach with a net and quickly get a nice bucket of big shrimp. We had a low country boil yesterday,
So much here in a few words.

September is when Oyster season starts. I don't normally buy them until October.

Cast or Seine net?

You can't have a Low Country Boil unless you are in the Low country. Otherwise, it's an imitation. Like fake crab meat. 🙃

You did remind me of this article:

So much here in a few words.

September is when Oyster season starts. I don't normally buy them until October.

Cast or Seine net?

You can't have a Low Country Boil unless you are in the Low country. Otherwise, it's an imitation. Like fake crab meat. 🙃

You did remind me of this article:

Cast. He's still learning, it's a five or six foot.

For a transplant, you're very protective of a regional dish. So, no Boston Baked Beans, New England Clam Chowder, North Carolina/Memphis/Alabama/Kansas City BBQ, Philly Cheesesteak, without being there?

For a transplant, you're very protective of a regional dish. So, no Boston Baked Beans, New England Clam Chowder, North Carolina/Memphis/Alabama/Kansas City BBQ, Philly Cheesesteak, without being there?
Welp. Since I like independence, Boston Baked Beans is an English recipe. It's a knock off, like imitation crab or having a Lowcountry Boil without Lowcountry ingredients. The boil is a Gullah dish: underappreciated.

New England Clam Chowder originatedin Manhattan, not New England. Imposter. NY Clam Chowder would be more accurate.

IN SC, we deal with four different styles of BBQ: light tomato, heavy tomato, vinegar and pepper, and mustard. When I've read the history it's more a country thing than a state thing. IE: German's brought the mustard base to the states.

The cheesesteak? Ya got me there. I read a book about the brothers who started the fad in South Philly....from a hot dog stand as I recall. Their last name was something like Oliver...but with an Italian twist.

Back
Top Bottom