| OT What are you guys eating on the 4th?

Okay...if we are going here.

One. It reminds me of meeting Darwin Holt in a bar in Mt. Pleasant. It was a Vandy game, can't remember the year, but it was PPV.

So,...I'm at the bar, watching the game, and look at the guy sitting beside me. Specifically, his ring. I recognized the ring when I saw it. "Who the fuck is this?"

"Bro? What's your name?

"Darwin."

"Per chance, is your last name Holt? "

On the other note...when we had the pub running we were about 1/2 mile from the gate to the base...I have literally, sat in a barber shop and listened to Admirals tell stories. And the ones we heard at the bar? JFC.

When I was in school, undergrad, at Bama I was an assistant mgr at Wendy's on 15th for awhile. You see a guy like Wesley Britt walk in and you thing, "damn, he's big."

Until you get in the bar business...off of a joint base...and see some of the guys. JFC. A guy that live around the corner is 6'7", prolly 275. I don' t know what he does. That tag on the window that gives him access to the base gives me a little clue.
Few here or there would know Dawin holt. But i bet Chick Granning(?) still remembers him

Did you order that online...or pick it up at the restaurant? Years ago, I ate there every Sunday while reading the Sunday papers. Yeah, years ago. They opened one in Cane Bay a little while ago...haven't been to that one yet.

Pretty damn good ribs. That sauce is a winner and I'm not really a fan. BUT, and take this for what it's worth.

Carolina Gold is better. Southern Gold, better. Maurice's Southern Gold...beats them all. Hell, Duke's makes a good one.

I picked it up at Kroger ==> Sticky Fingers® Smokehouse Sweet & Tangy Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce. The only other mustard bbq was Kroger brand Private Selection® Carolina Inspired BBQ Sauce. Those were the only two at my nearby store.

I think the vinegar sauce is best on pulled pork with second best a hot/spicy (mild spicy) sauce Stubb's® Spicy BBQ Sauce. BTW, Stubb's BBQ rub is top notch. I used to make my own rub till I found the ingredients on Stubb's were in line with what I prefer.

I picked it up at Kroger ==> Sticky Fingers® Smokehouse Sweet & Tangy Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce. The only other mustard bbq was Kroger brand Private Selection® Carolina Inspired BBQ Sauce. Those were the only two at my nearby store.

I think the vinegar sauce is best on pulled pork with second best a hot/spicy (mild spicy) sauce Stubb's® Spicy BBQ Sauce. BTW, Stubb's BBQ rub is top notch. I used to make my own rub till I found the ingredients on Stubb's were in line with what I prefer.
When I first moved here I'd never heard, or dreamt, of a mustard based BBQ sauce. I don't have any issues with the flavor. The way a mustard based BBQ looks? There's where I'm walking away.

I was born six years after he played. I didn't recognize him. I recognized the ring.
Probably wouldn't recognize him either. But the name is n "sub-folk lore" for us older fans. The story?????
1961...... GaTech vs Bama GT was dirty. Played dirty. Roughed up trammel all game
Bad stuff

On a punt return.. returner was Granning for GT.... Holt delivered a vicious elebow under face mask of Granning to his face. Effectively removing many teeth n breaking jaw. Vicious by all standards Payback

AJC wrote of outrage and incident was used as an example of Bryants dirty foot ball in SEPost article ( i have somewhere along with the 'fixing of game ' by Bear)
Holt was a tough tougher type player. Meaner than rattler

Subnote: Granning was dating Annette Funichello. Teen idol of the time and star on Mickey Mouse club ( show for kids at time).

Remember. All from a 60 ago memory bulb lol. Maybe some others can add to

Last edited:
Probably wouldn't recognize him either. But the name is n "sub-folk lore" for us older fans. The story?????
1961...... GaTech vs Bama GT was dirty. Played dirty. Roughed up trammel all game
Bad stuff
OH! I knew the story. Shit man, if I knew the ring, how would I NOT know the story? 🙃
It was a pretty unique moment. He was sitting to my left, I reached out with my left hand to shake his. He asked me, "what's your 'relationship' with Alabama?" I had my class ring on that day. Right hand.

It's funny thinking back about that day. I "flashed" a class ring. He said, "okay." And we just talked.

He was in business here in Charleston for a while...passed last year. A really nice guy

OH! I knew the story. Shit man, if I knew the ring, how would I NOT know the story? 🙃
It was a pretty unique moment. He was sitting to my left, I reached out with my left hand to shake his. He asked me, "what's your 'relationship' with Alabama?" I had my class ring on that day. Right hand.

It's funny thinking back about that day. I "flashed" a class ring. He said, "okay." And we just talked.

He was in business here in Charleston for a while...passed last year. A really nice guy
Sorry. Its from a long time ago and not really a "blue chip moment" in bama history. !

Not one that i hear much about. But lived it when my dad n his buddies talked Bama Football

Brisket , pork BBQ, baked beans potato salad, chips, desserts, pasta salads, potato casseroles and cookies. 45 immediate family members on my wife’s side and 14 not present. People descended on southern Ohio from California, Texas, Florida, northern Ohio and Pennsylvania. Great time! Some left today, others tomorrow and Sunday. Yes, we had people EVERYWHERE!

Brisket , pork BBQ, baked beans potato salad, chips, desserts, pasta salads, potato casseroles and cookies. 45 immediate family members on my wife’s side and 14 not present. People descended on southern Ohio from California, Texas, Florida, northern Ohio and Pennsylvania. Great time! Some left today, others tomorrow and Sunday. Yes, we had people EVERYWHERE!
What no Mac & Cheeses?

Well I haven't done any type of cooking outside in a very long time. I did one pack of hot dogs, one pack Conecuh hot dogs, Smoked sausages, four hamburgers, four rib eyes. I also made the potato salad, cold slaw, devil eggs, apple dump cake, and not real banana pudding.

Back
Top Bottom