| NEWS Update on Waddle's injuries

I can understand that and would tend to agree... but what leads you to that thought?

I’m not saying you’re wrong... just we really have no way to know what progress he has made and where he’ll be in 3 weeks.

1. The bone(s) need to heal fully
2. The surgery to fix the bones needs to heal fully
3. Although he is a high-level athlete, he has had no conditioning in over 6 weeks. Any running he may be doing is jogging, not sprinting and not cutting.
4. If he comes back too soon, it may impact his long-term abilities. NFL medical staff will look in depth into known injuries which will impact his draft potential.

1. The bone(s) need to heal fully
2. The surgery to fix the bones needs to heal fully
3. Although he is a high-level athlete, he has had no conditioning in over 6 weeks. Any running he may be doing is jogging, not sprinting and not cutting.
4. If he comes back too soon, it may impact his long-term abilities. NFL medical staff will look in depth into known injuries which will impact his draft potential.
1. The bone is healed in 5-6 weeks. It’s rebuilding muscle strength and healing tendons/ligaments that takes a while. I don’t think he had any ligament or tendon damage. He’s also an athlete in peak condition, so strengthening shouldn’t take long either.

2. The surgical wound is healed by now. I’m sure there is some soreness and pain still associated with the injury and procedure, but it’s an as tolerated type of thing.

3. Why would you even think he’s had no conditioning? Maybe no running, but I promise you there are plenty of ways to work cardio without weight bearing on that ankle. As a former athletic trainer... I’ve seen it many times.

4. We have no way to know where he is in the recovery process. The bone is healed.., you’re not going to damage it. The issue is muscle strength and any tendon or ligament healing. He’ll have 3 more weeks to progress in his running cutting route running. It’s entirely possible to be back for the 1st round of playoff games if he desires and he progresses well.

Now, mentally it may take a bit more time..

I don’t have any doubt in our training staff and medical doctors to make the correct decision and give him the best advice as to if he can play. If he’s back... great. If he’s not... it’s ok too. It’ll be what it is.

Not being part of the medical staff treating him, I have no real knowledge to know where he is in recovery. I’m just saying, from what I’ve seen posted of him and a small knowledge of what it takes to recover and be able to play... there is the possibility of a return for the playoffs. This is an educated opinion based on assumption from videos posted on Twitter... so a grain of salt is always recommended.

Last edited:
1. The bone is healed in 5-6 weeks. It’s rebuilding muscle strength and healing tendons/ligaments that takes a while. I don’t think he had any ligament or tendon damage. He’s also an athlete in peak condition, so strengthening shouldn’t take long either.

2. The surgical wound is healed by now. I’m sure there is some soreness and pain still associated with the injury and procedure, but it’s an as tolerated type of thing.

3. Why would you even think he’s had no conditioning? Maybe no running, but I promise you there are plenty of ways to work cardio without weight bearing on that ankle. As a former athletic trainer... I’ve seen it many times.

4. We have no way to know where he is in the recovery process. The bone is healed.., you’re not going to damage it. The issue is muscle strength and any tendon or ligament healing. He’ll have 3 more weeks to progress in his running cutting route running. It’s entirely possible to be back for the 1st round of playoff games if he desires and he progresses well.

Now, mentally it may take a bit more time..

I don’t have any doubt in our training staff and medical doctors to make the correct decision and give him the best advice as to if he can play. If he’s back... great. If he’s not... it’s ok too. It’ll be what it is.

Not being part of the medical staff treating him, I have no real knowledge to know where he is in recovery. I’m just saying, from what I’ve seen posted of him and a small knowledge of what it takes to recover and be able to play... there is the possibility of a return for the playoffs.

I don’t think he had any ligament or tendon damage. - That's just it. We don't know so we can't speculate.

I’m sure there is some soreness and pain still associated with the injury and procedure - If there's pain, it's not fully healed.

Maybe no running, but I promise you there are plenty of ways to work cardio without weight bearing on that ankle. - His cardio isn't what makes him fast. If he's not sprinting during the workout, he's not ready

We have no way to know where he is in the recovery process. - Exactly. We can't speculate based on what we hope.

I don’t think he had any ligament or tendon damage. - That's just it. We don't know so we can't speculate.

I’m sure there is some soreness and pain still associated with the injury and procedure - If there's pain, it's not fully healed.

Maybe no running, but I promise you there are plenty of ways to work cardio without weight bearing on that ankle. - His cardio isn't what makes him fast. If he's not sprinting during the workout, he's not ready

We have no way to know where he is in the recovery process. - Exactly. We can't speculate based on what we hope.
1. Noted and agreed, but those in the know such as Saban has stated there is a chance.... so...

2. I think your idea of healed is different than mine. Healed in the sense he’s not going to do additional damage. The wound isn’t going to split back open. The bone isn’t going to separate.

Players play and train all year “not healed” with sore muscles healing from weight lifting, bruises healing from being hit, joints healing from being tweaked. It’s a degree of pain and tolerance thing at this point. Also no need to overdo it in week 1. He has 3 weeks to build up to game day level of performance. The trainers and doctors will manage that ramp as best they can... given my assumption of no ligament tendon damage.

3. You’re just wrong here... that is not how it works.

4. I agree and said as much above. However I will note that I believe Saban has indicated there is a possibility of return. Maybe I’ve misunderstood/misconstrued his statements?

Last edited:
@94 Grad along with the multiple screws and straps he also had the tightrope procedure.
But was that a while we are here type of thing... this type of procedure would make sense while your there and being an WR/Athlete. Also, with the tightrope, that would help if there was ligament damage as it would take over in place of the ligament.

What’s the recovery from the Tightrope? He’s going to be right at 10 weeks post at game 1. My understanding is recovery if fairly quick. From the online videos, he’s up and moving on it now with 3 weeks to game 1.

The pins/screws are normal/expected and another reason why that bone isn’t going to separate.

Last edited:
But was that a while we are here type of thing... this type of procedure would make sense while your there and being an WR/Athlete. Also, with the tightrope, that would help if there was ligament damage as it would take over in place of the ligament.
"While we're there we're going to go ahead and repair the damage?" If he didn't have a break I'd certainly assume he'd have the procedure, regardless.

I have to go back to what was shared by someone within the medical staff at UA; "it's a mess down there."
What’s the recovery from the Tightrope?
Depends on the individual. It took Jalen a little longer to get back than expected.

I have to go back to what was shared by someone within the medical staff at UA; "it's a mess down there."

I took that to be in regards to the spiral fracture of the bone... not necessarily that there was extensive ligament damage; however that’s just my view thinking of what a spiral fracture is. It could very well mean extensive ligament damage too.

With him coming out of cast/boot at 5/6 weeks has me encouraged to a playoff recovery. If he was in cast longer it would have worried me greatly.

I’ll note again I have no insider info, just my opinions. A grain of salt is needed.

Are your insiders indicating this is a fools dream?

Here are the facts... He’s out of the cast and into recovery.

That’s about all we know. Where he will be in recovery 3 weeks we don’t know and I would wager the training staff and doctors don’t either. It’ll be whatever it is...

Last edited:
1 in a million... So you’re saying there’s a chance!

Yup! Hence the video.
I don’t believe Saban works in the 1 and a million realm. If he’s saying there is a chance of a return I would wager it’s not bad odds.

I may be reading too much into Saban’s comments... but I believe in Santa too. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom