| FTBL Downs is impressing the leaders … great little piece on Bama Online

Davestwin

Alabama veterans explain why Caleb Downs can make an instant impact​

Charlie Potter•about 22 hours
Alabama safety Caleb Downs
Caleb Downs (Brandon Sumrall / Getty Images)
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – A popular topic at SEC Media Days is which young players are standing out ahead of the upcoming season. And Alabama’s pair of defensive representatives, Kool-Aid McKinstry and Dallas Turner, agreed that freshman safety Caleb Downs is one of those.
McKinstry, a fellow defensive back, listed Downs first when asked about the newer players.
“We have a lot of young players this year, young secondary,” McKinstry said. “I feel like Caleb Downs has stood out, Dezz Ricks, Jahlil Hurley. Even the newcomers that we have, the transfers, are standing out, learning the defense, looking good for the coaches.”
The 1 Household Item That Visibly Tightens Saggy Skin
SPONSORED CONTENT

The 1 Household Item That Visibly Tightens Saggy Skin​

By Beverly Hills MD
Downs is one of seven freshman defensive backs to join the Crimson Tide program, along with Ricks, Hurley, Tony Mitchelland Brayson Hubbard. Alabama also added a couple of transfers after spring practice in Louisiana’s Trey Amos and UAB’s Jaylen Key. The latter two were not at UA for spring drills, the freshmen were, and Downs quickly logged first-team minutes.
The former 5-star recruit ended the spring by starting with the defensive ones at safety, and he intercepted a pass just before halftime. Competition still exists at both safety spots with Jordan Battle and DeMarcco Hellams moving on after the season, and while older players will push for roles, like Malachi Moore, Kristian Storyand Key, Downs appears ready to contribute.

His veteran teammates shared their opinions of Downs as an immediate impact freshman.

“I feel like a guy like Caleb, he’s very dedicated,” McKinstry said. “Every time I pop up at the facility, he’s already been there for maybe an hour or two getting extra work in with the coaches, learning the defense, doing small things like that that’s very important to learn the defense. I feel like I see him doing a lot of small things in the weight room. Even when we get done working out, working on his abs one day, might be stretches one day. I feel like he doing a lot of little things right.”

Added linebacker Dallas Turner, “Caleb has the possibility to be an immediate impact player. Very smart, very cerebral. On the field, he’s a guy that you can also depend on, as well. He’s a young guy, but he also knows what he’s doing. Communicates very well. Very confident, too, in his game. If you look at him physically on the field, you can tell he’s ready to play.”

Back
Top Bottom