| FTBL "To nationalize this sport I think is a mistake, and they're going to regret it."

I've, literally, only sat down and watched a NASCAR event once in my life: I didn't finish the race (DE got killed that day.)

He doesn't bring up a good point with the comparison. How much has NASCAR, and viewership, declined in the last decade? I don't know. I know I don't see races that often while surfing through channels.

USC vs OSU seems fun on name value. But, I'd wager we're going to see TONS of visitor tickets returned in the next three to five years. Fans will make the trip once and then there's no infatuation.

I've, literally, only sat down and watched a NASCAR event once in my life: I didn't finish the race (DE got killed that day.)

He doesn't bring up a good point with the comparison. How much has NASCAR, and viewership, declined in the last decade? I don't know. I know I don't see races that often while surfing through channels.

USC vs OSU seems fun on name value. But, I'd wager we're going to see TONS of visitor tickets returned in the next three to five years. Fans will make the trip once and then there's no infatuation.
I think thats close.... there are a many return tickets or unused tickets for many games....
Even lsu& .AU....more for Tennessee.... all other secteams ....can really tell ....scattedered in EZs....and high....
And bama sections with unused tickets...

Probably expense of attending....and tv coverage.... or people bombed out on attending...

There's no question the expansions are on going to have any affect on traveling fan bases. It will swell at first with the demand for new venues that visiting fans aren't used too... But in time it will diminish.

The question is, what is the biggest cause for revenue streams in CFB now? Are ticket sales revenue slowing dwindling in respect to other income sources?

NIL is to me the down falls of college sports, and then it would be the transfer portal.
If some parameters are installed for both, VERY SOON, we will see colleges and universities dropping athletic programs left and right. Hell, Greg Byrne even stated that the athletics department had to dig into the vault for about $40 million to make sure our non revenue sports survived to see another year and said at this rate, this isn’t sustainable!!! And that’s just NIL!!
The portal needs to overhauled as well. Set some damn limits! One and done or your first time with no penalties, second time costs you a year (sit out a year). Maybe one set transfer window in December and go back to one signing period in February. If someone doesn’t reel this shit in really soon, bigger problems are just down the road.

NASCAR attendance crashed after they closed many of the original tracks - or cut dates - and built tracks outside the core southeast market. They also went corporate and priced many fans out. The 2008-11 recession hit them hard, and they have bulldozed stands to lower capacities at some tracks to increase attendance density.

I stopped following NASCAR with any regularity when the "car of tomorrow" common template was introduced. I'd had a long following of stock car racing, including short and dirt tracks around Bham. I know I've shared that at the old Dixie Speedway in Midfield, my Dad was spun out by Bobby Allison, who still dropped down from NASCAR in the late 60's to race decent money features on short tracks. To lose a guy like me to the homogenization and money-grubbing corporate reach of the sport says a lot.

Will college football peak and price out many schools? Probably, absent an agreement to have a NASCAR-like Winston Cup/Busch tiered approach where the SEC/Big 10 and anyone left to compete at that level, followed by a second tier of former Power 5's and other notable G5 teams. They will have to agree to a standardized NIL framework, which of course they won't follow.

RTR,

Tim

NASCAR attendance crashed after they closed many of the original tracks - or cut dates - and built tracks outside the core southeast market. They also went corporate and priced many fans out. The 2008-11 recession hit them hard, and they have bulldozed stands to lower capacities at some tracks to increase attendance density.

I stopped following NASCAR with any regularity when the "car of tomorrow" common template was introduced. I'd had a long following of stock car racing, including short and dirt tracks around Bham. I know I've shared that at the old Dixie Speedway in Midfield, my Dad was spun out by Bobby Allison, who still dropped down from NASCAR in the late 60's to race decent money features on short tracks. To lose a guy like me to the homogenization and money-grubbing corporate reach of the sport says a lot.

Will college football peak and price out many schools? Probably, absent an agreement to have a NASCAR-like Winston Cup/Busch tiered approach where the SEC/Big 10 and anyone left to compete at that level, followed by a second tier of former Power 5's and other notable G5 teams. They will have to agree to a standardized NIL framework, which of course they won't follow.

RTR,

Tim
That was probably around the time my FiL was nose deep in the “Alabama Gang” He helped on the crew that built Bonnets first car. My wife said if your Dad was around them a lot that she may have a pic buried somewhere. Something about them all (Bonnet, Allison, etc) worked out of a common garage way back then. Never been a race fan so I have no idea what she is talking about

Last edited:
That was probably around the time my FiL was nose deep in the “Alabama Gang” He helped on the crew that built Bonnets first car. My wife said if your Dad was around them a lot that she may have a pic buried somewhere. Something about them all (Bonnet, Allison, etc) worked out of a common garage way back then. Never been a race fan so I have no idea what she is talking about
No, he was never in their garage, at the time my Dad was a brick mason driving for fun. Allison was driving to eat (see "The Wolf" by Whiskey Myers).

Old, old story, probably worth repeating at this point. Bobby Allison is not from Alabama. I'm not sure any of the Alabama Gang is, except Bonnett. Bobby Allison was a redneck, south Florida sheetrocker, before Cubans came calling, and before many yankees did. Red Farmer was on a northward racing swing, called Bobby and said he'd won $400 in a feature race at BIR, and said he thought a guy could make a living doing nothing but racing, hitting all the high dollar features. Allison decided he'd sink or swim racing, moved the family to Bham in Hueytown. Allison won a Saturday feature race at Hickory, and when he was being interviewed by the local reporter, the reporter noted, "This is the strangest thing. The guy who won last night's feature race in Memphis was also named Bobby Allison." Allison: "That would be me". He'd won the late race in Memphis, gathered his winnings and his racecar and headed for Hickory. He didn't load the car on a trailer. He didn't own one. He pulled that car with a tow bar behind his pickup, and covered over 600 miles on U.S. 70, and maybe a bit on 64 (there was no I-40), through the Smokies and got to Hickory just in time to qualify. No one had ever seen him. He qualified, won a heat, and then the feature.

Take that scenario and repeat it dozens of times and you have Bobby Allison's pre-NASCAR career. Driving to eat.

RTR,

Tim

But, I'd wager we're going to see TONS of visitor tickets returned in the next three to five years. Fans will make the trip once and then there's no infatuation.
I can think of a hundred non-football related reasons why fans will be traveling less in the next 3-5 years. Adding games and increasing the distance between regular season rivals is the exact opposite of what the sport needs to be doing right now.

I can think of a hundred non-football related reasons why fans will be traveling less in the next 3-5 years. Adding games and increasing the distance between regular season rivals is the exact opposite of what the sport needs to be doing right now.
Cant disagree ...
Imagine the big 10....

UCLA at Rutgers.... be a lot of tickets turned back by visiting team

Or big 12. ( dont know who is even big 12) ....

At least the SEC is somewhat compacted

Back
Top Bottom