| FTBL Look what I found today. "LSU Expected to Play Their Best Game of the Season" This is from 2009. On AL.com.

LSU Expected to Play Their Best Game of the Season​

• Updated: Nov. 05, 2009, 12:13 p.m.|
  • Published: Nov. 05, 2009, 11:13 a.m.
facebook

twitter

By
It's easy to question a lot of factors in this weekends game when the LSU Tigers visit Bryant Denny Stadium.

I have done the same, repeatedly, over the last several weeks. In fact, just this week I couldn't come to a definitive answer about how good the LSU defense is in 2009.

I've spoken to more than a handful of LSU fans these past few days and they have their share of questions as well. The majority of their questions don't differ from some of the questions Alabama fans have about their own team. Just how good, or bad, is the Alabama offense going into this game?

There is one thing that can not be questioned. Players, from both teams, understand the magnitude of the SEC western division showdown.

It's easy to look at the LSU offense and how they've done this season and say it's a very weak unit. It's foolish to take those statistics and use them as a measurement of how they'll play Saturday.

I fell guilty of doing that last year. I underestimated the success Charles Scott could have against the Alabama defense. Even though Scott's numbers are not where most thought they would be this season, I expect a big game from the running back.

Why? It comes down to what they think about this ball game.

"We've got to play Alabama like it's our championship game," quarterback Jordan Jefferson said. When a comment like that is compared to the results this Tiger team has had in games of this magnitude one thing is sure--they'll be prepared.

Patrick Peterson, LSU defensive back, claims he can't get the picture of Alabama's Julio Jones reception last season out of his head. "It's still playing in my head to this day," Peterson said Tuesday. "I just can't let it happen this time." It's an easy assumption Peterson is going to be mentally prepared.

It's not just limited to just a few on the LSU roster. "Yeah, man, everybody is excited, " junior wide receiver Terrance Toliver said, looking incredulous when someone asked him about the vibe. "I mean, we're playing Alabama, the No. 3 team in the country."

I place a great amount of value in those statements, those attitudes. I'm not alone.

"The game is about the players, " Nick Saban said. "These are two very good teams that have good players on both sides,

That outlook is a stark contrast to what the Alabama team has as their focus this week.

Don't misunderstand that statement. Alabama understands the magnitude of this game as well. There is no mistake in this team understanding the road to Atlanta is going through this LSU team Saturday. But, there is even a greater understanding that the championships start in Atlanta not in a regular season game in November.

Kareem Jackson, Bama cornerback, summed it up best. "It's another game on the schedule, it's important because it's the next game. But it's LSU, the coach came from there, so going in there's always that extra, whatever you want to say, cherry on top, to kind of get us going. They're going to come out ready to play, so we're going to have to match their intensity."

Not only does that statement mirror what his head coach would say, it's the mantra of the entire team.

There are two things from a fans point of view that can also be said.

One, it's going to be a battle in the trenches. And two, throwing statistical rankings out the window is a safe bet.

Sure, LSU doesn't have great numbers in the sacks department. But come hell or high water, they'll pressure the Alabama quarterback Saturday.

No doubt the LSU offense is currently ranked in the bottom quarter of all NCAA teams. They'll play their best game of the season.

Alabama's offensive inconsistency? It's far, far from a state secret. The focus on weaknesses with this team tend to be resolved and quickly. That will likely be witnessed again.

I know I said fans can say two things, but now I've got to add a third. It's perhaps the most important.

While weaknesses can be found on both sides of the ball with LSU and on the offense at Bama don't attempt to find them on the Bama defense. So far, they haven't existed.

Saturday, I don't see them as suddenly emerging. And, it's for that reason this writer likes the Tide to repeat their appearance in Atlanta: through LSU.

Back
Top Bottom