| FTBL Alabama football team will be just fine.

The Bama standard is to average 12 wins per season, make the playoffs and win at least half of them. I am not going to be one that hammers CKD because he doesn't live up to that but we should do better than most programs based on Bama history (at least under Bryant and CNS).
We’ll maintain the standard. But, neither Bryant or Saban had to deal with the turnover that DeBoer is going to have to deal with

The Bama standard is get to the playoff, we’ll be there.
You know that’s never been the standard under Saban. The standard is to achieve your best each play and the result takes care of itself.

Saban could win games and be pissed the standard wasn’t met on every single play. 50-3 with 3 seconds left and he expected you to still play your best. Winning had very little to nothing to do with it.

Ya know, I haven't kept up with the detailed nuances of the transfer portal rules since it became a thing, once I swapped careers from football back to tech.

I was entrenched in all things Bama football, especially recruiting. 10 years ago I was working all the Nick Saban camps in the summer, coaching high school ball in the fall. I used to be able to recall verbatim every current and incoming player's name, hometown, measurables, and high school stats.

But the last couple years, it's taken me a couple of games into the season to well verse myself on the names of contributing players that hadn't become household names at the time.

Since it's not my profession anymore, and going thru a divorce in the last decade and trying being more present for my kids with that obstacle, I just don't have the same mental energy devoted to maintaining the level of informational acumen that I once did.

RE: Tranfer portal

I think I understand the current rule that no COACH can recruit a current player until said player officially enters the portal.

But consider the one dynamic that hasn't changed in decades:

These high school kids form relationships with other top recruits in camp and 7-on-7 circuits. Committed high school kids help coaches recruit other kids, especially in Dead Periods. So what's stopping a college coach from using his current player's relationship with "__X" player from another university as a back door to recruit them thru the current player in an effort to lure the kid at the other school into the portal?

Care to enlighten a former coach, @Brandon Van de Graaff?

Last edited:
@Justneedme81

Alabama football team will be just fine.​

FINE!! Bama will be more than fine we will be GREAT!! So we lost a few players, please forgive me if these players are not coming to plays for Bama but a coach! I understand while these players are leaving maybe the new coach play calling isn't what they like?

Ya know, I haven't kept up with the detailed nuances of the transfer portal rules since it became a thing, once I swapped careers from football back to tech.

I was entrenched in all things Bama football, especially recruiting. 10 years ago I was working all the Nick Saban camps in the summer, coaching high school ball in the fall. I used to be able to recall verbatim every current and incoming player's name, hometown, measurables, and high school stats.

But the last couple years, it's taken me a couple of games into the season to well verse myself on the names of contributing players that hadn't become household names at the time.

Since it's not my profession anymore, and going thru a divorce in the last decade and trying being more present for my kids with that obstacle, I just don't have the same mental energy devoted to maintaining the level of informational acumen that I once did.

RE: Tranfer portal

I think I understand the current rule that no COACH can recruit a current player until said player officially enters the portal.

But consider the one dynamic that hasn't changed in decades:

These high school kids form relationships with other top recruits in camp and 7-on-7 circuits. Committed high school kids help coaches recruit other kids, especially in Dead Periods. So what's stopping a college coach from using his current player's relationship with "__X" player from another university as a back door to recruit them thru the current player in an effort to lure the kid at the other school into the portal?

Care to enlighten a former coach, @Brandon Van de Graaff?

There’s really nothing stopping anyone from doing anything. Tampering is rampant, and there’s plenty of ways to tamper with plausible deniability. Unless/until it is taken as seriously as it is at the professional level, it won’t change. But it’s also harder to police at the collegiate level too, than at the NFL level for example. Just another of the many worms out of the can that’s wiggling around.

@Justneedme81

FINE!! Bama will be more than fine we will be GREAT!! So we lost a few players, please forgive me if these players are not coming to plays for Bama but a coach! I understand while these players are leaving maybe the new coach play calling isn't what they like?
I believe this as well. Bama has been great across almost every decade there has been Bama football. To the CNS level of great? Bryants tenure was up there with it. With that said short term (not sure if 1 or 5 years) there is going to be some challenges. For the first time in a loooooong time we may not have the most talented roster on the field during the game. Talented yes but not from top to bottom and with depth which is what you need to win the NC.

If there is going to be NIL, there should be a salary cap….the haves keep having, the have nots can’t. When will Title IX bring the lawsuit?

Down the road, we will see this in some form. It'll open it back up to cheating (payments under the table), but if enforced correctly (it will be out of the hands of the NCAA) then that type of thing can be managed to a decent degree.

I fully believe we’ll finish the year in the top 10 if not top 5.

This team is going to have a chip on their shoulder and they’ll be like family. Going to be scary for every other team.

As for those that left, adios. Talented dudes, but they wouldn’t fit into the culture being built.
I don't know about a chip or family, but I'm confident Coach DeBoer will have us in the top 5 due to his program.

Back
Top Bottom