| FTBL Tim Watts said something that caught my attention. "They are continuing the 'Saban camps?'"

You mentioned Rivals, but what about One3 and other service?
247's composite is the best reference, in my opinion.

The thing with Rivals...they lost A LOT of their talent and evaluators when 247 was launched: Shannon poached them. With On3, he's doing the same to 247.

It would be a long post to define how these services rank differently. Right now, there's a chance ESPN may be the best source going forward. As much as I don't like Lug, their rankings are based more on needs filled versus star power.

If I was making this up, it would be one thing...but. I'm not.
Terry seriously be like ...

sunshine-pumping.gif

Lol simma. Just teasing you. But I will say until the transfer/portal rules change I'm not sure commitments are worth the emotional investment. Here today, gone tomorrow, back again next week.
In some thread, somewhere here, I said "judge the roster in August." (sic)

I'm just watching, talking to people, and listening.

In the last few days I ran into Giardino again. (East Bay Deli's potato, bacon, cheese, and broccoli soup just KILLS. I'm an idiot. I bought five bowls.) All he said was "I've been watching UDub film." The facial expression told the opinion.

Two thoughts here.

One, the #1 ranked class isn't a lot different from the #8 class. Sometimes it literally comes down to a school signing more players.

Two, it's not a "impossible to meet" goal. It's also something that doesn't deserve as much attention as it did five years ago. The portal changed everything. A #10 class with the right additions in the portal could have the most talent coming in versus any other school but it won't be "ranked" that way.

I'll add a Third Thought: Ageism isn't a factor anymore. CNS admitted himself it was a point of concern. Not anymore.

The season can't get here soon enough.

I don't pay attention to Rivals. I haven't, for years.

You bring up a point though. This class, today, is ranked higher than what we normally saw under Saban...at THIS point in time.

Yeah, I just used them back when it was basically them and 247 putting out rankings. ESPN is the outlier most of the time with the way they rank their players, so rarely ever use their rankings. On3 is "newer" service wise than the others, but I do use them more now for my research.

I'll add a Third Thought: Ageism isn't a factor anymore. CNS admitted himself it was a point of concern. Not anymore.

The season can't get here soon enough.
A fourth.

Brandon and I talked about this a few weeks ago. DeBoer, and his staff, are starting to use the same analytics group that Oats uses. It's an exclusive contract...with two of Alabama's programs being in their three, I think?

@Brandon Van de Graaff do you remember how many programs they represent? I know it's less than five.

Two thoughts here.

One, the #1 ranked class isn't a lot different from the #8 class. Sometimes it literally comes down to a school signing more players.

Two, it's not a "impossible to meet" goal. It's also something that doesn't deserve as much attention as it did five years ago. The portal changed everything. A #10 class with the right additions in the portal could have the most talent coming in versus any other school but it won't be "ranked" that way.
Only 3 schools consistently are in the conversation for this highly ranked classes. Bama, UGA and OSU. I would think that qualifies almost impossible to meet unless you were one of those 3 schools and in one case had CNS as the coach. I disagree that a #8 is much different than #1 but not sure how to prove that. Of course the portal has change a lot.

I don't pay attention to Rivals. I haven't, for years.

You bring up a point though. This class, today, is ranked higher than what we normally saw under Saban...at THIS point in time.
What matters is where the team is at the end of the recruiting cycle. I have not looked to see if this is the case for Bama right now but a lot of teams early on have a lot of # of commitments so it is a false raninging. Eventually the Bama's and UGA's catch up and pass them in the rankings once they get the higher ranked kids in and more numbers.

Only 3 schools consistently are in the conversation for this highly ranked classes. Bama, UGA and OSU. I would think that qualifies almost impossible to meet unless you were one of those 3 schools and in one case had CNS as the coach. I disagree that a #8 is much different than #1 but not sure how to prove that. Of course the portal has change a lot.
Close, but no dice. Only 3 school? Texas? LSU?

So #8 different than #1? Let's look at one3 ranking..

2024-Auburn was #8 in recruit and took Bama all the way to 30 second left in the game.
2023-Miami- They beat Clemson and TAMU that year.
2022- Oklahoma- They suck
2021-TAMU - They beat Alabama.

So Really it doesn't make a difference. If you have talent that matchup well on the field scheme wise and personnel.. Ranking doesnt matter.

Close, but no dice. Only 3 school? Texas? LSU?

So #8 different than #1? Let's look at one3 ranking..

2024-Auburn was #8 in recruit and took Bama all the way to 30 second left in the game.
2023-Miami- They beat Clemson and TAMU that year.
2022- Oklahoma- They suck
2021-TAMU - They beat Alabama.

So Really it doesn't make a difference. If you have talent that matchup well on the field scheme wise and personnel.. Ranking doesnt matter.
Any of those schools threatening for championships? We all know TAMU was a bought group with no foundation. OU is a new coaching staff. The Barn well they prepare ALL year for one game.

Bama, UGA and OSU have been consistently at the top in recruiting and in the playoffs.

Any of those schools threatening for championships? We all know TAMU was a bought group with no foundation. OU is a new coaching staff. The Barn well they prepare ALL year for one game.

Bama, UGA and OSU have been consistently at the top in recruiting and in the playoffs.
You're all over the place when you're trying to make points. You talked about top 3 consistently and now you're bringing in championship.

You're all over the place when you're trying to make points. You talked about top 3 consistently and now you're bringing in championship.
As I was reading your original comment that was trying to align with Terry saying there is not much difference in #1 and #8. You gave examples that I believe were more one offs cases. Sustaining top tier recruiting turns into championships which gets me back to my point of the Bama standard for recruiting and only 3 schools have sustained that level.

As I was reading your original comment that was trying to align with Terry saying there is not much difference in #1 and #8. You gave examples that I believe were more one offs cases. Sustaining top tier recruiting turns into championships which gets me back to my point of the Bama standard for recruiting and only 3 schools have sustained that level.
You can't look at it in this context any longer. It's in the same sense as we've talked about defensive numbers. The game has changed.

Rarely is there that much of a difference in a #1 class and a #6 class. Or #8. And now with the portal?

Back
Top Bottom