| MBB/WBB The Caitlin Clark story about breaking the scoring record reminds me of Derrick Thomas.

TerryP

Staff
27. 1988.

No one has broken that mark. Yet, DT isn't recognized as the leader because they didn't recognize sack numbers in the NCAA records.

How does that compare to Clark?

First of all, in my view, she didn't break any record while getting her name in the record books.

No. She didn't break Pistol Pete's record. It's a different sport. Pete Incaviglia has the home run lead for a season in college baseball: 48. If Jocelyn Alo hits 49, is she the all time home run leader?

Back to DT.

In 2021, when they announced the new members of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame they inducted Pearl Moore. I had never heard of her. What caught my attention was she attended Francis Marion University. (The school is in my area and I've done a lot of reading about him.)

I'll leave the little detail about the three point shot out of this conversation...

Moore scored 4061 points in her four year career. BUT, like DT, the NCAA didn't recognize the sport/record. (For context, Moore graduated in '79, DT's record in '88: same era.)

I had to look up Moore's point total. I found this article ... so, it's just not me. 🙃

Mens n women's bball is a different sport....its not just "basketball "
Dont know why they are comparing clark n pistol....

Clark may be greatest bball ever...gosh..what a player...in ncaa women's bball..and article you posted?....but womens bballwas really different then but ??????
Pete may be greatest player ever...gosh...what a player ...in mens ncaa bball

They don't compare them in golf...swimming ( women complaining...rightfully...about trans in their sport)...etc

Clark is one spectacularly incredible awesome bball player...for sure

Clark is one spectacularly incredible awesome bball player...for sure
No question. No doubt. Other than her skill, I have no opinion one way or another. From video highlights I've seen the last few months it looks like she's expecting calls like we see in the league from its major stars. Mens n women's bball is a different sport....its not just "basketball "
Dont know why they are comparing clark n pistol....
Frankly, it is "just basketball." They played with two different basketballs.

I just find this story so...weird.

Consider this aspect. We're just coming off the heels of Black History Month and we aren't seeing anyone mention Pearl?

The narratives are just so fantastic!

No question. No doubt. Other than her skill, I have no opinion one way or another. From video highlights I've seen the last few months it looks like she's expecting calls like we see in the league from its major stars. Mens n women's bball is a different sport....its not just "basketball "

Frankly, it is "just basketball." They played with two different basketballs.

I just find this story so...weird.

Consider this aspect. We're just coming off the heels of Black History Month and we aren't seeing anyone mention Pearl?

The narratives are just so fantastic!
Right. Mens game n womens game is basketball

But not the same game....

Period

Records are made to be broken. Three-point line, the number of games played, the number of years played, etc., etc. Reichart just became the scoring leader in football. He was allowed to play five years while all the previous scoring leaders played three or four years. Somebody will beat Clark’s record. I guarantee it.

Records are made to be broken. Three-point line, the number of games played, the number of years played, etc., etc. Reichart just became the scoring leader in football. He was allowed to play five years while all the previous scoring leaders played three or four years. Somebody will beat Clark’s record. I guarantee it.

Only thing I'll say about this is that the point system for kickers hasn't changed. If they add a 4 point kick, then we have something here.

The biggest one for me that a lot aren't speaking of is that basketball players had to play three years during that period of time, so college basketball had more talent accumulated that was playing one another, where these days you can leave whenever basically, and for a while could go straight pro, diluting the pool a good bit.

Only thing I'll say about this is that the point system for kickers hasn't changed. If they add a 4 point kick, then we have something here.

The biggest one for me that a lot aren't speaking of is that basketball players had to play three years during that period of time, so college basketball had more talent accumulated that was playing one another, where these days you can leave whenever basically, and for a while could go straight pro, diluting the pool a good bit.
Playing five years instead of four makes a big difference, especially if you make the post season.

I hope Iowa beats LSU.. especially after the little whiny, “dirty debutantes” debacle..With such a bunch of thin skinned entitled players… the “dirty debutantes” comment should’ve been taken as a badge of honor, not racism..haters gonna hate..suck it up..

I hope Iowa beats LSU.. especially after the little whiny, “dirty debutantes” debacle..With such a bunch of thin skinned entitled players… the “dirty debutantes” comment should’ve been taken as a badge of honor, not racism..haters gonna hate..suck it up..
Hate lsu. Love KM
....iowa girl is one of great phenomena in bball...ever. ......Regardless of gender...
Like pete....bird...shaq...wilt..

......see what happens.....

Hate lsu. Love KM
....iowa girl is one of great phenomena in bball...ever. ......Regardless of gender...
Like pete....bird...shaq...wilt..

......see what happens.....
The “dirty debutante” thing was an absolute Gold mine… if they would have channeled their inner Don King, they could’ve made a lot of money, marketing that..Shirts, hats, banners ect ect.. but nope.. instead they got easily offended.. the reporter had to take it down..
The only thing better for LSU would have been if Rumpelstiltskin, his spinning wheel and 2 tons of straw were dropped off..

Back
Top Bottom